Topic: Pickup Problem!

Hi all,

I own a perfectly good Squier Strat,  and on the pickup closest to the neck, and with the sixth string, I have a small problem. From fret 11 and higher, the string vibrates and against the sticky-out bit of the pickup and sounds bad. Please help!

Thanks to any one who knows what to do,

Will

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

Re: Pickup Problem!

Hi Will,

Most electric guitars that I have owned have adjustable pick-ups, usually one screw on either end. If you turn that you should be able to lower the pick-up slightly to prevent the buzzing.

Hope that helps,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

(0)==#paranormal guitar wrote:

Hi all,

I own a perfectly good Squier Strat,  and on the pickup closest to the neck, and with the sixth string, I have a small problem. From fret 11 and higher, the string vibrates and against the sticky-out bit of the pickup and sounds bad. Please help!

Thanks to any one who knows what to do,

Will

Will,
To adjust the pickup's to the correct height follow the instructions below. Unfortunatley I do not know the metric equlivant only imperial (sorry). Also you should actually set the strings to the correct height.

Tools needed: small philips screw driver and a 6" scale with grading in 64ths of an inch (imperial).

The low "E" (thickest) string should be at 6/64ths above the magnet post on each pickup.

The  high "E" (skinnest) string should be set at 4/64ths above the magnet post on each pick up.

To set the string height you need a capo and an allen wrench (don't know what they are called on that side of the water).

Place the capo in front of the first fret closest to the headstock, measure all the strings individually at the 19th fret they should be set at 3/64ths. If not adjust the saddles individually until the string is raised or lowered to 3/64ths. Do this befor you set your pickups other wise you will have to set them again.

Sorry for putting the cart before the horse I was answering your original question and this came as a fore thought. If you have any problems shoot me an email.

Good Luck.

Bootlegger.
Bootlegger guitars

Hi Bootlegger,

I was hoping you would come in on this one. That is far better than my 'hit and miss' method and I shall be keeping a copy of your posting.

Thank you,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thanks, that'll help everyone, much appreciated!

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??