1 (edited by Zurf 2015-10-27 13:12:00)

Topic: $25 amp

I spotted a little 8" 15w Fender practice amp at a thrift shop for $25 yesterday and bought it.  I've had an electric guitar for a long time and have never had a proper electric amp to plug it into.  I've used either bass amps or acoustic amps.  For $25, how could I go wrong. 

It's kind of fun to play an electric.  I will need to brush up on barre chords.  There's a lesson book for electric blues around here somewhere.  I'll dig that up and see what happens. 

I can't describe the amp's sound to you, because all the electric terminology is lost on me.  I don't know Fat from Phat from Dirty.  All I know is that sounds that are vaguely guitar-like come out of it. 

Wish me luck.  One of the things I always liked about acoustic is letting the notes ring and blend.  I guess I'm going to be learning a lot about left hand muting, and will need more than patience.  So sharing a bit of your luck is appreciated.  So long as your luck is good. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: $25 amp

Happy NAD. Sounds like a bargain.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

pic?

last night on the TV show American Pickers - they found a lady whose husband had died years ago - but had played in a band - she was selling his stuff

One item Gretch Electric guitar   another was a an old Fender AMp

Long story short - she wanted a $1,000 for the pair........ they called their guitar guru to check on the price -     

guitar was valued at $ 5,000   Amp was at $ 8,000      I almost fell off the couch.

Incredible what's in some people's attic's and barns !

Enjoy your new amp !

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

https://zurf.smugmug.com/Music/NGD/i-hnXd3vL/0/M/20151027_133048-M.jpg

Showing the amp (Frontman 15) and it's usefulness as a footstool. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

6 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-10-27 19:11:58)

Nice little amp, Zurf ... and a good deal. Up our way, these things sell for $139.99. If JJJ can disguise his amp as a bread machine, you've got full licence to use your's for a footstool. I wouldn't recommend using an amp for a coffee table, though ... a sad story.

Zurf, I have the same amp. Can't  remember where it came from or how much it cost, but I've had it many years. It doesn't get used to much these days as I prefer acoustics. Sometimes I'll play it using headphones, or if the missus goes out for a few hours I like to make a bit of noise. Its a great little tool and will give you years of good service, and at that price how can you go wrong.

Thick as two short planks

8 (edited by dino48 2015-10-28 00:38:25)

Nice amp you got there,Happy new amp day That looks exactly like my Peavy Decade.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Got one nearly the same.  It says it's made by Sunn Mustang ST-15 but when you look near the on switch it has the letters F.M.I.C (fender musical instrument company) and it says Fender on the carry handle.  Sounds great at low volumes and has a nice warm sound.

They hold beer nicely too.

Is that because it's little. My bass amp holds bourbon.

I played a VoxAC50 at a gig using a curly lead. The inputs are on top and I had my soft drink on top too. Whilst doing a bit of stage nonsense the lead knocked the drink over and into the amp electrics....

Lesson being, coke (the liquid kind) and valves do not mix.

Congrats on your new amp, turn up an enjoy, but feet only on top!

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

You could pay $25 for a footstool that size.  Considering this one doubles as an electric amp, I'd say you got a solid deal.  smile  I feel your pain on the whole electric sound and such.  I learned once what a lot of it meant, but forgot (due to no caring probably).  Electric is a different beast than acoustic, and it can be fun to get all punk and rocky.  wink  Plus, scales sound good on them (I need to learn those still).

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Phill
surely the moral of the story is keep away from SOFT drinks!

The King Of Audio Torture

Baldguitardude wrote:

Looks like it holds bourbon as well as my bass amp.

https://zurf.smugmug.com/Miscellaneous/i-cTZdj53/0/M/20151029_174140-M.jpg

Zurf wrote:
Baldguitardude wrote:

Looks like it holds bourbon as well as my bass amp.

https://zurf.smugmug.com/Miscellaneous/ … 4140-M.jpg

Zurf that looks very inviting.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

easybeat wrote:

Phill
surely the moral of the story is keep away from SOFT drinks!

ahhh! never thought of that one.

i never touch cola or caffeine drinks anymore after i had a big heart palpitation event last year. so a beer only diet, shame that innit? roll

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Looks like your 'bourbon" has been supplanted by water (frozen and liquid)! Too bad.
dj

I have one. My daughter has the 25 watt model. She loves it.Good little amps.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

naolslager wrote:

Looks like your 'bourbon" has been supplanted by water (frozen and liquid)! Too bad.
dj

It's a bourbon ball.  A big honking ice sphere to cool the bourbon with maximal surface area and minimal meltage.  It works pretty well.  Topdown first turned me on to them.  When you decide to get back to practicing and come out here to pick a few tunes, I'll demonstrate their beneficial qualities to you.

Zurf wrote:
naolslager wrote:

dj

It's a bourbon ball.  A big honking ice sphere to cool the bourbon with maximal surface area and minimal meltage.  It works pretty well.  Topdown first turned me on to them.  When you decide to get back to practicing and come out here to pick a few tunes, I'll demonstrate their beneficial qualities to you.

Sounds good!

22 (edited by beamer 2015-11-15 18:22:58)

That + one of these  http://adn.harmanpro.com/product_attach … iginal.jpg  and you will not beleive the sound. they have patches for acoustics that are amazing also. or if space shuttles are not your style,, you can line up a few of these.  http://fauxsuperblogs.com/wp-content/up … lboard.jpg  LOLOL

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I can't figure out the knobs yet.  Pedals are beyond my limited cognitive powers.

Zurf wrote:

I can't figure out the knobs yet.  Pedals are beyond my limited cognitive powers.

Drink the bourbon first then play with the knobs!

dino48 wrote:
Zurf wrote:

Drink the bourbon first then play with the knobs!

That's how I do it, which may go a long way towards explaining the results.