Topic: Windows 10???

Has anyone here found any new tips tricks etc. that will help or hurt using the new system?

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Re: Windows 10???

Nope.  I'm going to switch my wife's Win 8.1 computer over to Win 10 soon, though.  Win 8.1 still hasn't got drivers for the video card and a mess of other things that make using the computer a pain in the backside. I don't know whether Win 10 will solve those problems, but it's probably not going to exacerbate them.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

dino48 wrote:

Has anyone here found any new tips tricks etc. that will help or hurt using the new system?

Just this one for sure (and should be done prior to ANY major change in your system hardware or software)....... Do a FULL backup of your entire drive on another drive (ie: portable).  So IF you should desire to recover all the stuff that can get lost by accident, it won't be out in the ether.  I have heard of folks deciding to "unwind" their Windows 10 installation only to find that 10 did not archive all the old files, which makes "going back" difficult if not impossible.

Another that comes to mind is to be sure and run the hardware compatibility check (off the Microsoft website) to insure that all your drivers and such are supported by the new operating system.  I cannot imagine anything worse (other than losing all your personal data files, pictures, music, medical and Tax records) than installing a new OS and finding that your display etc. won't work so you are literally "shooting in the dark" trying to sort it back to where you started.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

if you dont have one, get a external drive. 2 terabyte are pretty affordable now,  pull everything to it your know you dont want to loose.

I actually went to 10 and after a small learning curve i like it a lot.   you can google changes for better performance to do to it.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

We migrated my wifes computer from 8.1 to 10. The drivers all work now and her computer shows video, whereas it didn't before.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I originally installed the update from Win 7 to 10 and has some problems with boot time (over 5 minutes) so I uninstalled and reverted back to Win 7 and waited till the bugs were worked out (over 3 months) then installed it again It is working really good now boot time is less then 15 seconds so I will see how it go's.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

I originally installed the update from Win 7 to 10 and has some problems with boot time (over 5 minutes) so I uninstalled and reverted back to Win 7 and waited till the bugs were worked out (over 3 months) then installed it again It is working really good now boot time is less then 15 seconds so I will see how it go's.

That's AWESOME Russell!  I'm glad to hear that things are working better for you now!  smile  YAY!

I love Win 10.  After using it for a few months, I had the displeasure of helping someone out on their Win 7 machine.  It annoyed the heck out of me.  Win 10 layout is sooooo much nicer.  There's some good advise above about backing up files (always a good idea with any type of upgrade), and making sure all drivers are up to date, and running the compatibility software first.  smile  Good luck!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.