Topic: I feel like a newbie - my calluses are gone!

For about 8 years I've been playing guitar pretty steadily - almost on a daily basis - at least a few times a week. This is the first time I've ever neglected my guitars. Since the June camping shindig with Zurf, I probably haven't picked up a guitar for more than a couple of hours total. No real reason, just busy I guess.

Later today I am hosting a mini-chordiestock and have been playing a little last night and this morning. Yikes! my fingers hurt - calluses are GONE! Lesson learned - don't let this happen again!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: I feel like a newbie - my calluses are gone!

I have done that before so now I leave my small Takamine  next too me in my favorite spot too sit down and I almost always play a couple of tunes or riffs,seems if it is handy you will play some.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

3 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-11-14 20:09:50)

Our friend Bax recommends a drop of Super Glue on the fingertips to help? Have you tried this, Top?

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Super glue is fine, as long as you let it dry well first. Pick up your guitar too soon and you would have to have it surgically removed from your fingers lol

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I've lost my calluses too, since my back went south I haven't played my guitars and much as I want to.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Sure.  Blame me.  :-)

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Our friend Bax recommends a drop of Super Glue on the fingertips to help? Have you tried this, Top?

Bill

Thanks for the recommendation SBB, but I'm going to take my punishment like a man - no superglue, no nylon strings - I'm gonna play until my fingers bleed and earn my calluses back!

Had so much fun today playing with Toney, Wyatt, Steve, Roger and Roscoe! (Chordiestock folks know these guys). Shame on me for neglecting my guitars - they bring me so much joy, I vow to never let this happen again!

And Zurf - I wasn't blaming you at all - I was stuck in a rut. After playing with Rosco tonight, I'm newly motivated and determined to learn some bluegrass (I think those are the ones with B chords smile ). 90 yo and still going strong - love that man.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

We all do that from time to time, Topdown, and getting things back "in the groove" takes a bit o' time and pain. I really like Dino's suggestion to keep something nearby, just to strum and keep in touch with it.

I`m getting the same thing. They will come back when I start playing on a regular basis again.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

JJJ ...

If you find yourself lacking a guitar to rehab your fingertips on, there's likely to be one at a pawn shop or flea market you could acquire. lol

Tenement Funster wrote:

JJJ ...

If you find yourself lacking a guitar to rehab your fingertips on, there's likely to be one at a pawn shop or flea market you could acquire. lol

I`ll have to keep that in mind.LOL

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.