Topic: what do you do?

ok I am going to bend the ear of my musical friends, what do you do when you just don't feel like playing? do you ever go through periods like that? I force myself to pick up the guitar everyday just to keep my fingers in shape but it is just that forced and not really enjoyable. I know it will pass and I will get back into it, it always does I just never know how long it will take. I guess im just a fair weather guitar player.

out of tune out of key and out of touch

Re: what do you do?

i either ignore music entirely or try to play through the plateau.

i usually find that listening/watching good music being played gets my juices flowing. it's a lot harder getting to a gig and not wanting to do it! i have always found that i get well into it halfway through the first song anyway...so perseverance is the keyword. you know what they say; a man has to do what a man has to do, so stop whinging and get on with it.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

It's not so much not wanting to play, my practicing tends to be in short bursts when I get a bit of spare time. But every now and again I have to stop and listen to how I'm playing, I find it very easy to develop bad habits, many of which we've discussed on these pages. Then it's time to pretty well start from scratch and try to discipline myself and get shut of the gremlins. Then after a while they slowly creep up on me again, it's a never ending cycle.

Thick as two short planks

When I get that apathy creeping up, I'll do what Phill suggested and start listening to some good music. I usually spend more time listening than playing anyway, but if I get onto something outside of what I'm familiar with, that often helps.