1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-01-12 11:33:55)

Topic: The Incredible 1969

Was looking at some David Bowie news articles, and it mentioned that his song "Space Oddity" was released in 1969. It got me to thinking about what an incredible year that was:

- the first humans walked on the moon (Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin)
- Jethro Tull's album "Stand Up" reaches #1 in the U.K.
- Led Zeppelin's first album released (self titled) after the band is renamed from "The New Yardbirds"
- Syd Barrett leaves Pink Floyd, with David Gilmour replacing him full time
- Genesis releases their first album (From Genesis to Revelation)
- the Hondo guitar company forms
- the nucleus of Emerson, Lake & Palmer come together, officially forming in early 1970
- Yes releases their first album (self titled)
- King Crimson forms
- Woodstock!
- last public performance of The Beatles (Jan 30)
- The Who's first performance of "Tommy"
- Chicago releases their first album (Chicago Transit Authority)
- Downchild Blues Band forms
- Five Man Electrical Band forms
- Wal-Mart incorporates in the U.S.
- Humble Pie forms
- Neil Young releases first album with Crazy Horse (Everyone Knows This is Nowhere)
- Supertramp forms
- Uriah Heep forms
- Crosby, Stills, and Nash release their first album (self titled)
- Wishbone Ash forms

This is just a partial list of significant, culture-changing events that took place in 1969. I was just 12-years old, but oh the memories!

Re: The Incredible 1969

I was learning to read and tie my shoes, which admittedly has been a long process.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I was 11 and just starting to realize that there was more to be seen and heard than my immediate neighborhood.

Just 10 at the time...   am radio on all the time...   oh the music....

badeye    cool

one caper after another

Awww yes...I was a Jr. in high school, I remember well.

Thanks for tickling my memory this morning.

Thanks Chordie for the years of music and advise.

i was 17 going on 18 still trying to lose my....you know what..... so i was a late starter! i hadn't yet met my first wife, so it wasn't all bad. and i was enthralled by the bands playing at my local dance hall which made me want to be a performer even more. as far as david bowie is concerned, i mourn his passing but not as much as i did john lennon. i don't believe he's marmite....(you love him or hate him) i just found i loved some of his songs and hated others, especially when he tried to be too arty farty.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

..but the most important event in 1969 was that my daughter, Donna Mary, was born big_smile

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I was 16 and thought I knew everything about everything, now as the years pass I realise I know nothing about anything.

Thick as two short planks

I was 19 and I was just about ready too get married and I knew it all like all the other teens.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

That's the year I done finished high school.

nela

1969, I was 19 years old, laid out in a body cast after a horrible motorcycle crash, took two years to learn to walk again, it's all good though I survived and didn't lose my legs.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

I was six months old on Jan 1, 1969.

You guys are a bunch of fogeys!  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

I was six months old on Jan 1, 1969.

You guys are a bunch of fogeys!  big_smile

Look Out!!

These next 10 years are going to slip by like 10 months. smile

I was but a glimmer in my Daddy's eye, not to debut for another 8 years.

Band of Gypsies also formed in 69.

I was working a summer job at the local paper mill in the summer of 1969.  It was between my freshman and sophomore years in college. When Armstrong's moonwalk took place, mill workers were gathered around transistor radios, getting the latest reports.  I was part of a two-man crew that used "tow-motors" to pull wagons with large rolls of paper (4-5 ft diameter and 8-10 ft long) from the paper machines to the sheet cutting room. We tore off a large piece of paper, made a cone that we taped to the front of a roll, spray painted "USA" on each side and "borrowed" a silver fire-proof suit from the emergency station.  My partner put on the suit, straddled the roll of paper and waved to the cheering workers while I pulled him around the mill for a couple of hours. Not a single boss complained. I remember my father (born in 1908) marveling how during his lifetime man had went from the horse and buggy days to landing on the moon

The summer of '69 was when I attended my first bluegrass festival and began a lifetime love affair with folk, country and bluegrass music. At the time I was a drummer, had played in a jazz band, a 17-piece big band and taught rudimental drumming to junior high students and was currently playing rock.  But as bluegrass didn't use drums, I soon quit the rock band I was in, sold my Ludwigs and never played again.

In 1969 Glen Campbell's Good Time Hour, Hee Haw and the Johnny Cash Show all made their debut on American TV, taking country music from the back hollows to main stream America.  Also that was the year that Johnny Cash recorded a live album from San Quentin prison ("Boy Named Sue" became a hit) and both Dolly Parton and Tammy Wynette became members of the Grand Ole Opry.

Just a month into my sophomore year I quit college and in October of '69 began a 4-year apprenticeship to become an I/C (Instrumentation and control)Tech. I followed that career for 43 years (including going back to college and getting a degree as an I/C Engineer) until I retired 4 years ago.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I was 13. 60 tomorrow a hell of a lot of great music since then too TF.

the chordie geordie

Lots of great memories. (for us fogeys lol) I love DirtyEd's account of how they celebrated the Apollo 11 mission.

gtx wrote:

Happy Birthday.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

gtx wrote:

Happy Birthday

Thick as two short planks