Topic: Mic and Guitar Duo Input Blues

Am going to make a purchase which may be a mistake, but it's how we learn, right. Here's my dilemma: I've got an acoustic electric, an electric, and a microphone. I want to amplify them all but not many amps are going to allow the natural sound from the acoustic and variety of effects with an electric, AND ALSO allow for microphone inputting at the same time. I really wanted to go with a Line6, but with only the one channel, which would nix the microphone, I had to select a 2 channel amp. I decided to go with a Marshall AS100D, which will likely have enough clout for what I might need. Unfortunately I've got to mix and match foot pedals to get the effects on the electric. The acoustic is going to do just fine with lots of sound qualities available (see their demo video). Does anyone know if Line6 has an independent 2nd channel box in the works, one with as much clout as their larger one? I sure wanted those effects.

Re: Mic and Guitar Duo Input Blues

I have no idea what Line6 has coming down the line.  But you might consider a mixer for managing all the inputs.  Some are powered and can feed your PA Speaker Cabs with anything that doesn't route through the Marshall.  I use a Behringer 120W 5 input rack that has effects and lots of goodies included..... don't even have to load the amps if space is tight.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Have the mixer selected - Yamaha 12 channel with effects, but don't know enough about it yet to know if the effects can be applied separately to each/any channel, or if the general mixed output is affected. Only bought the mixer to facilitate multiple inputs just in case I happen to be in the position to include others in session or live. Big plans for a retiree!

Welcome to Chordie Kevin!!
You might do a little reading up on your mixer..... mine has like 99 effects and each can be assigned to any or all inputs individually and controlled the same way (along with balance and volume).  My main amp also has 2 channels and effects that I can preselect to match the set and store/select via a midi foot controller.  Saves having to tote all those pedals (not that I use many effects anyway).

Also retired (not by choice) but we got HOBBIES !!!! wink

I think i need some more materials to buy for my new studio, my first time here

olagist wrote:

I think i need some more materials to buy for my new studio, my first time here

Welcome to Chordie!!  How much stuff you need, will depend a lot on what kind of things you want to do and why.  A small home studio only needs a DAW and a PC with enough hardware to support it.  A couple of good microphones, headphones, and recording media to preserve your tracks/finished tunes. 

So tell us a little bit about yourself and I'm sure you can ask questions and get informed and valuable advise from the community to help you achieve your goal without going broke.

7 (edited by KevinRK 2016-03-17 00:48:30)

Well, Doug - I'd like to say that by the time I reached the age of 65 I would have gotten all that "toy" business out of the way, but I'm sorry to say that I can't. In the last two weeks the UPS has made quite a few deliveries to my home, much to the chagrin of my spouse. But I've got to add that, in order to play it safe, a month before I bought her a real nice anniversary diamond that cost about the same that I spent on equipment, so now about the only thing she may be feeling stood off as far as the number of toys we've endowed ourselves with, she's still got the best, and KNOWS it! Anyway, I was delivered a 2016 Les Paul Studio T in Wine and Gold (beautiful!), a Marshall AS100D amp, a Yamaha PSR-S670 Arranger Station, a Yamaha MG12XU mixer, a Shure SM58S mic w/switch, a Dark Matter distortion foot switch for the Les Paul, and lots of dodads to put it all together. Tonight I figured out some of the mixer settings and had already gone through some of the amenities of the Marshall amp with my Teton acoustic/electric. To put the final touches of the "music room" I put up a few nails to hang up cords and keep them organized. Mrs. think it's tacky, but I told her "it's  organized!" I think my last of the big wish list will be a Seagull 12-String Coastline Acoustic/Electric that a local merchant has. I played it next to three or four others he has new on the shelf and it was the best sounding, least difficult to play, and the least expensive. It will totally round out my options. I guess all I need right now is access to the local school's music room so I can try out some of their stuff, too. LOL! My retirement is going to be great! A couple outdoor gigs with a friend or two this summer will go a long way to proving that the Fountain of Youth is no myth! A word of note: I may have missed the mark by not going with the Berringer mixer you spoke of, given the effects capabilities surpassing that of the Yamaha, but I'm still happy as a lark!

Kevin,  Sounds like you got yourself pretty well set up..... and especially the pre-emptive bauble part! wink

You will have so much FUN!!!!  Getting familiar with the toys and goodies.  But don't overlook the good set of headphones, so you can practice without driving the neighbors batty.  Also useful when sitting in the evenings tweaking your recordings and merging tracks or laying down your own "backing tracks".  There is a section here on Chordie devoted especially to Recording with info about software and even a directory for getting back-up musicians if you've a hankering to get elaborate.  Russell Harding (the section Moderator) is a virtual "Gold Mine" of info and has posted many vids of his stuff in sort of a tutorial fashion for the benefit of Chordians everywhere.

Enjoy, and above all drop by once in awhile & let us know how and what you are doing.

Doug