Topic: Stretching to the next plateau

I've been plateau-ed for a while now.  Like, a million years or so.  I can bang out some strummers and have developed a little bit of my own style for flourishes (mostly just cross-picking on static chords and the occasional hammer on).  So, I've embarked on learning to improvise solos and flatpick melodies better. 

After ten years of picking, I feel like a new beginner.  My fingers don't stretch that way.  I am constantly having to remind myself to use my fingertips and keep my wrist forward.  I want to give up everything I've learned about alternate picking and down stroke every note.  It could become frustrating if I lose my sense of humor and humility about it. 

Wish me luck.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Stretching to the next plateau

Good luck and have fun!

Hats off to you for embarking on a brave journey. It's often very difficult to un-learn old habits, so as to replace with new habits. Knowing that humor & humility will get you through is a great place to start from.

Hey, if no one else wants to make life difficult for ya - you might as well do it yourself!  smile  Nah, just kidding.  Good luck with the learning curve of re-learning.  Remember, it takes a few months to be able to play SOMETHING that sounds like something - so if it takes three months to re-learn stuff, that can't be too bad!  smile  Keep us updated!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Good luck Zurf, regular updates please

Thick as two short planks

First step:       Get a new guitar
Second step:  Get two new hats
Third step:      Set yourself a challenge
Fourth step:    Allocate time daily for practice
Fifth Step:        Adhere to allocated times
Sixth step:        Keep your Chordie friends posted of progress

I intended 12 step but ran out of ideas and only made it half way lol

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Give him enough time to work on those 6 steps. Then as his confidence grows you can blast him with the next 6. smile

Good Luck with your new adventure Zurf.

Thanks.  I've put a timer next to my desk to keep me honest on practice time.  I've pulled a few lessons on soloing over the minor pentatonic scale and will use those to get things started.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

recent report - I've got positions 2 and 3 pretty well understood, with my fingers remembering them OK.  I haven't memorized which position is what note, yet, and not sure that I will beyond the roots. 

Yesterday I was able to riff on some blues playing on Pandora, which was cool.

We need detail. 

What were you sipping on at the time?

Way to go, Zurf!

It's no small feat to tackle such a sizeable "re-learn" of your guitar playing knowledge & skills. My hat is most definitely off to you!

https://awesomecommentphotos.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/1779714_513391208781535_1935090240_n.jpg

Baldguitardude wrote:

We need detail. 

What were you sipping on at the time?

Would you believe herbal tea?

Maybe that's your spinach.