26 (edited by beamer 2016-04-18 07:46:12)

Re: Girlfriends

I am actually posting to sound cloud. https://soundcloud.com/beamer326/girlfriends-take-2  most of you know my voice by now so,,, well at least the reverb helps LOLOL

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Lou Reed meets Iggy Pop ,well done Scott.

Scott

That was really cool. It amazes me how someone can take a song and play it so different from someone else- a completely different genre and  approach to the same lyric.
I could never play guitar as you did, so I appreciate the " metalized version" - so cool.  I agree with Graham - I hear a little Lou Reed in there - but I don't know who iggy pop is so I can't comment on that. smile   I liked the picture you put with it on soundcloud too - fits perfectly.
Thanks again my friend !
Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Jim Betty Page is classic!  An well I was playing my Betty guitar smile
Thanks I am glad you like it, it is a fun song to play.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

30 (edited by TIGLJK 2018-06-13 10:58:59)

This post is a resurrection of an old one.  I had written this quite a while ago, Graham did an awesome cover of it. However recently- one of my old college buddies has been going through hell as one of his family members  got into opioid use.  I went back and added a verse, bc at the time I wote the original, I really had no clue to the magnitude of Opioid misuse in our country. I would not wish this junk on my worst enemy..... it is horrible.

The last verse is the add on.....

GirlfriendsJim Kenyon

[Em]Oh I’ve got a little girlfriend in control of my brain

You might know her , her name’s Cocaine

[Am] She makes me feel like a shining knight

[Em] with me every moment, day and night

[B7] blinded by the power that she brings, oh

[Em]for her pleasure, I’d do [B7]any[Em]thing

[Em]I’ve got another girlfriend she’s a deadly sin

Schools and Prisons call her Heroin

[Am]She’s always around, easy to find

[Em] Always willing to blow your mind

[B7] blinded by the power that she brings,oh

[Em] for her pleasure, I’d do [B7]any[Em]thing

Chorus

[Am] I can’t help myself, I’m outta control

[Em] falling deeper into the black hole

[B7]she’ll make you believe you’ll never die

[Em]make you keep on looking for that[B7] higher[Em] high

[Em]The last girlfriend I had , was a living death

went by the name of Krystal Meth

[Am]soothes your heart like a summer breeze

[Em]then she crushes your soul like a cruel disease

[Em] , for her pleasure, I’d do [B7]any[Em]thing

(Guitar solo) [Em] [Am] [Em] [B7] [Am] [Em]

[Em] oh now I got a new mistress that fills a void,

a deadly little vamp called Miss Opioid

[Am] she promises to take all your pains away

[Em] then she destroys your family in every way

[Em] , for her pleasure, I’d do [B7]any[Em]thing

Chorus

[Am] I can’t help myself, I’m outta control

[Em] falling deeper into the black hole

[B7]she’ll make you believe that you’ll never die

(slower)

[B7]she’ll make you believe that you’ll never die

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Such a strong song Jim I play it in my  serious live set ,I will have learn the new verse.

32 (edited by Phill Williams 2018-06-14 08:31:41)

There seems to be a problem with SoundCloud as I've tried several times to hear this song. As everyone seems to agree the song itself is very poignant and in yerr face brutal, pulling no punches. Excellently written and I'm sure performed. Looking forward to hearing it

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

here is graham playing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqFMtsRjPjQ

Am I in this thread already? I notice it goes back to 2016. Just in case I'm not, I left you both a note on YouTube, and I used the word "POWERFUL. Because that is what it is, Jim. It ranks right up there with songs like ("Damn The") "Pusherman" by Steppenwolf. I honestly cannot think which song I like better, yours or John Kay's. Being that we kinda know each other, you and I and Graham, I'm gonna say I like yours the best because of the way it is written and the powerful lyrics.

The fact that it's being played in a band's set, makes you a SONGWRITER Jim! I may be way off in the way I figured it, but if you wrote it, Graham and band perform it, and then the band gets paid for its performance, you get to call yourself a fully-fledged writer of songs. Did you copyright it, yet? (send it to yourself in a registered letter)? If not, then you should. It is THAT good, and you both deserve writer and performer's credit - if not royalties.

Powerful!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Nice rendition Grah, I think I'd give the chord structure a tweek Jim, that B7 doesn't sit well with me. The bluesy feel and Grahs voice all gravelly makes me want to hear TFs version even more.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I removed my Version from SC, however I'm inclined to re-record.  I'm gonna get a mic mechanic for my voice.  Then I also have the new head to play through.

Love the new verse.

37 (edited by dianawelch123 2018-06-23 10:55:50)

Nice song, it would be nice if you will make more songs in the future. wink

So I re-posted my style for this song. its a quick and dirty verse and chorus.

https://soundcloud.com/beamer326/girlfr … jim-kenyon

Beamer- left a message on cloud.
I am looking forward to the final version.  It is always amazing how a song can transform by different genres.

My daughter was just in Seattle - she lived there for a while - worked as a PA in some orthopedic surgical place.
Her husband was stationed there in the AF. so they went back to visit. I loved the area when I went out there.
His family lives in Philomath Or. (Near Corvallis)
Are you from around there ?

I don't know if you follow baseball - but Oregon State ( Which he played for in college) is in the College Baseball World series - I'm enjoying watching them!

Thanks gain for the cover, buddy !
Jim

Enjoy the summer- it was gorgeous when I went there.

40 (edited by ctech 2018-08-25 20:23:36)

That's one well written song. Jim. And very popular I see by all the views.  I've always been  anti drug having had a girlfriend in my teens died from an over dose.

Hard times create strong men,Strong men create good times,Good times create weak men,Weak men create hard times.Cantwere rice INVICTA!

Thanks Ctech

It is a song that I feel gets at the heart of a really serious problem here in the USA.
The current issue with opioids is out of control.
I'm still waiting for Graham or someone to do an updated version including the new verse shown above.

I'm just not a good enough player or singer to this song justice.

Thanks for the positive feed back, I appreciate it

Jim

I do not know how I missed this one and it is so perfect of a song and  covers all of the problems. I think if someone invents something stronger, you get one high and then drop dead.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.