1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-04-06 02:08:55)

Topic: Did You Hook Up Your Home Theater Set On Your Own?

And if so, would you mind giving me some generic instructions to hook up mine to my smart tv (Sharp)?

Today we were given someone's old theater system which features as its receiver a 5 disc dvd changer and a 5.1 surround sound system (http://www.amazon.com/Kawasaki-5-DVD-Ho … B0000E1RG1).  The system itself is now obsolete. Hence my asking for "generic, one size fits all" instructions. If such a thing can be done.

I just need to know how get from point A to point B with the cable box in the middle of the set-up. I am sure that 20 years ago, I could have set this thing up in  less than 24 hours, but so far all I have been able to do is mount the speakers - I can hook those up to the back of the receiver with no problem, by the way  when the time comes - but Dondra is all excited about being  able to watch movies, so I want to do the best job possible for her.

I appreciate any help you all could give me with this. smile

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Did You Hook Up Your Home Theater Set On Your Own?

If I were there, I could probably suss it out, but not being able to  see it, I'd do more harm than good. Good luck with it.  Is there a teen you could bribe?

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Howdy Bill!  Dondra too !!!

It happened to me also.... that thing when you get wordy with your response and wind up logged out before you get to hit the submit button.  So this is my second try at this just shorter....
Http://www.18002526123.com/productdocuments/AV1000.pdf

I think you can glean enough good info from this manual to get it done.... and if not, I'm e-mailable and have a copy stored locally so we could get our heads together and figure it out.

Peace & Love
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hi Doug, and thank you very much for your offer to help - it looks like I will need it. Please check your e-mail. smile

Right now, I am at the point to where I can hook some cables up, but the coloring on the tv where the cables go in looks different than the coloring on the pdf manual you linked. smile In other words, the tv shows (from top to bottom) white, red, yellow and the pdf picture shows red yellow white. Also, I have a little square of 4 inputs right next to a rectangle of 6 and there's a place to hook up an orange coax, and I don't have that kind of cable yet.

My short-term memory loss is a major obstacle as well. I think I've left my flashlight in the "wrong" room about 10 times now. smile smile smile

Anyway, if you'll please check your chordie mail maybe you can help me out a little better than me doing it alone.

Thanks, my friend

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Zurf wrote:

If I were there, I could probably suss it out, but not being able to  see it, I'd do more harm than good. Good luck with it.  Is there a teen you could bribe?

I always mess up things like that good luck too you Bill.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Connect them color to color.  Yellow is your composite video.  The red and white are your left and right stereo channels.

Is there and HDMI input or output on any of this?

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

7 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-04-06 21:55:47)

There's one on the back of the tv which is also plugged into the back of the cable box. On the SIDE of the TV is another HDMI input, but it has never been used. NO HDMI on the back of the home theater system. Thank you, jerome.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

the head bone connected to the neck bone
the neck bone connected to the shoulder bone
shoulder bone connected to the arm bone
wait this is not right  im looking at the wrong diagram

out of tune out of key and out of touch

MUST remember.......... FAMILY-ORIENTED  website......... Must not........ call Mo' a name which begins with "a"........!!!!

smile smile smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Mailed ya back there Bill !!

Have you considered a headlight?  Really handy for working in those tight spaces, and beats the heck out of cussing around the flashlight clenched in yer teeth.  wink

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

NEVER thought of that!  Of course that would be better than chasing that flashlight all over the house! wink

Now I just need a way for me to be able to tell I'm wearing the doggone thing! smile smile smile

Thanks, Doug

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

I'm late to the party!  Alas, Doug has you covered... so I'll just sit over here and hum some songs with Mojo.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I just looked at all the various ports on the back of my TV ... and concluded that idiots designed it.

I can wire a house, but have never understood why techno stuff is purposely designed to be so complex. Must have been designed by the same people who created 50-some different screwdriver tips (slot, Phillips, Robertson, Allen, Torx, etc. in all sizes), or the dozen or more ways to attach a tub spout to a piece of 1/2" copper pipe coming out of the wall. Whenever I see the word "universal" on something that's supposed to be a replacement part, I cringe in fear.

'Nuff said ... rant concluded.

mekidsmom wrote:

I'm late to the party!  Alas, Doug has you covered... so I'll just sit over here and hum some songs with Mojo.

may not want to sit to close, bill went all Donald trump on me started name calling. I think he called me an asstrophysicist and trust me im no rocket scientist

Hey, Mo'. You may not be a rocket scientist, but you're close enough for rock 'n roll, my friend! smile

".....bill went all Donald trump on me....."

Oh, now that cut to the quick, right there, Mo'smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Doug and I spent some time on the phone tonight talking about our joint project (hooking up my home theater system over the phone) tomorrow, and it was a most enjoyable conversation, my friend. Thanks for allowing us to get to know each other and Semper Fi!  smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Hey, Mo'. You may not be a rocket scientist, but you're close enough for rock 'n roll, my friend! smile

".....bill went all Donald trump on me....."

Oh, now that cut to the quick, right there, Mo'smile

Bill just kidding around you know. glad to have you back buddy

I knew you were kidding, Mo'! smile Have a great weekend, my friend. smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass