1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-04-14 01:37:44)

Topic: A LITTLE Serious, But Not Too Much!

Okay, here's what I wanna say:

I've been listening to most everyone's music, and you all are great writers and players and I say that with all seriousness. Of course some of you are limited as to equipment, but that hasn't bothered me one bit in making my comments. But I digress.

I've been playing music (okay as a drummer) ever since I was 15 and I have seen and heard a thing or two. I've played behind some good bands and played behind some that were so bad I had to excuse myself, go to the little boy's room and sneak out the back door and drive home (The drums weren't mine, thank God!). That's always bothered me and made me feel guilty. I should have sat through the whole set and made the best of it, but at 15 you don't always make the best choices.

The reason I say I've heard and seen some stuff is because I had the opportunity to play behind one or twof great ones: Joe South (before he became famous) came to my hometown to play a sock hop and was missing a drummer, the drums were there set up, I volunteered and got to play a couple of songs when his drummer finally showed up. And Wilson Pickett at Muscle Shoals (again on drums) on a song called "You Don't Miss Your Water (Till Your Well Runs Dry), an old blues tune. As far as I know it never made even a flip side, but that didn't matter to me. It was "The Shoals"!

I'm not writing those things to blow my own horn, just to tell you that back behind the drum kit one notices a lot about a singer's style, a guitarist's playing, etc. etc.. But in those days and mostly not in these, no one wants to hear from a drummer. We're asked to provide the rythm section and ride with the bass and that's just about it. "Do that and shurrup, you!"  smile  (it wasn't that bad!)

Because I try to listen and comment to so many of you, let me please just say that I love all the styles you play and sing, but the one thing I've noticed is reluctance to  "Turn It Loose" with that voice of yours. Finding one's "STYLE" and range is important I know, but don't get caught in a rut: Your song's written, you're down with the chords, but your voice sounds like the last song you did and the last one before that one. If you've found your style and range, then exploit it!

That's just some words from a "drummer" you might not want to hear, but they come from the heart of a fellow musician and were written with admiration and respect for all my friends here, so I hope you won't take offense.

Thanks for reading the words of just an ol' drummer and remember to....... (this is your music speaking to you!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdaZ7N-W9vw  smile smile smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: A LITTLE Serious, But Not Too Much!

Gidday Bill
Yeah i totally agree with what you say.I`m one of those u mention.
I never sang a note till last couple of years,just needed to put a voice to my songs.
https://soundcloud.com/rough-as-gut/problems-overseas           
Still lots of bum notes,but i`m finding my way slowly.
I did cut loose on this(a little bit)
Thanks for your comments,i`m gonna try cutting loose more in future.
Good to see a critique,rather than the usual pc stuff.

The King Of Audio Torture

Thank you, easybeat. I left a comment on that rollicking guitar song you did called "Problems Overseas", my friend.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

smile  Hey Bill!  I think that's a common issue that's brought on by being self conscious.  Despite having sung in front of people over my life time, I STILL get nervous and self conscious.  In fact, most people don't seem to be able to tell, but I'd swear my knees were knocking through at least half of the song the first time a mic is put in front of me - EVERY TIME. Ya know what helps?  Alcohol. The problem I find is that even if I'm not feeling quite so self conscious anymore, I'm still scared I'll try something FUN vocally and sound like a frog instead.  I HAVE tried anyway, and usually do sound like a frog.  big_smile  If YOU drink enough alcohol though, you can't tell!  ha ha ha ha! 

Seriously though, I've stopped stressing so much about what my recordings sound like before putting them up.  I'm working hard on trying to portray feelings through singing - just let myself FEEL and not THINK so much - instead of portraying the self conscious side too.  Life is too darn short to care so much about a few off notes! 

I've got to say though - ZURF deserves a LOT OF KUDOS in this department.  He has let go, and worked on his voice and improved a LOT since the first time I ever heard him (gahhhh... that was back in 2011).  BE LIKE ZURF (maybe I should add that to my signature).

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

5 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-04-14 20:20:14)

Excellent perception, Amy and one that had completely slipped my mind. smile When I first began playing at 15 my nervousness manifested itself with sweating - profuse sweating. To the point where I carried two changes of clothes, and when Gatorade came out, it went with me everywhere to keep me hydrated and take care of the loss of my potassium. --- But again, I digress.

As to the issue of alcohol: Being a person who has what is known as an "addictive personality" I stopped drinking in 2009, but until then and while performing I drank mass quantities of beer and of course, still sweated profusely.

If all of this is TMI, I'm sure someone will let me know. smile

I am now 66. When I became a respiratory therapist, I preached like crazy for folks to stop smoking and watched them die on ventilators time and again.

But you know what, Amy?

I have stopped the preaching and have adopted the attitude of "If it feels good, do it!".

Alcohol doesn't make me feel good and I've never smoked, so since 2009, I've been doing stuff like jogging to stimulate the endorphins. Anything active. Admittedly taking care of Dondra has taken up much of that time, but I walk briskly when I can.

But this isn't about me is it?

To conclude, Amy you're quite right, you don't sound like a frog, and I need to check out some more of Zurf's work. My memory being what it is could you link me to it, please?

Thanks!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass