1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-05-07 17:49:38)

Topic: My Own Forthcoming NGD

I didn't know quite where to put this topic since my forthcoming guitar will be accoustic/electric, but I found this at a pawn shop recently and although I don't have the picture of this one hanging in the shop, may I share a picture of this beauty I found elsewhere?

http://www.amazon.com/Fender-CD-60CE-Dr … c+electric

As I have stated many times before, I can't hold a candle to y'all when it comes to  playing, so I tend to keep my guitars on the economical yet great-sounding side. This one, at $300.00 will be put on lay-a-way at the pawn shop on the first of June.

BUT........ after seeing Tenement Funster's Gretsch Streamliner, I sure do have me a "hankerin'" for one of my own just like it. (I prefer blue, but I'll take the Torino Green). Yeah, I know: $749.00 is just a bit steeper than the mahogany, but "The Good Lord A-Willin' And The Creek Don't Rise", maybe it will work out for me to have one of my own.

By the way, do any of you have this mahogany beauty and what do you think of it?

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: My Own Forthcoming NGD

I just have one question, Bill.  You say you're buying it at a pawn shop for $300.  Is it NEW?  Cuz, you do see that Amazon listing you linked to, right?  It's the same price there... and it's new.  I didn't think pawn shops sold new stuff... so... just curious and don't want to see you get ripped off my friend!

It's purty.  Never played one though.  Reviews on Amazon look mostly positive.  My dad still has his first cheap learner guitar and it happens to be a Fender.  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Well Amy, I kinda have to put it on lay-a-way, if you know what I mean? wink

Your friend

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Well Amy, I kinda have to put it on lay-a-way, if you know what I mean? wink

Your friend

Bill

Another plus is likely no interest.... AND most importantly, you get to actually look it over up close and personal, maybe play a tune or two before you end up signing at the door only to find out "it don't fit!".

Good One Bill !!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

That's purty

Very nice Bill, will you also be treating the one who must be obeyed?

Thick as two short planks

keepitreal, it is "She Who Must Be Obeyed" who is treating me with this quitar. smile

When she first got sick, we downsized. We downsized a lot and now that she is much better, I feel okay with rebuilding my collection which had dropped down to only my Epi Les Paul and my drums.

These are, after all, only material things and can be replaced. Not so with She Who Must Be Obeyed. smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

The love I make with my guitar is differant to love I have with my girl.
One is priceless and forever the other is just a passing tune.
One I can tune up the other tunes me up.
Both make me happy.

Totally understandable Bill!  Hey, as long as you know you're doing it the way you need to do it and not being swindled is all I care about!  smile  As said, the bonus is you get to try it out before purchase.  I have an el-cheapo Epi, that's gotten mixed reviews online.  The model appears to be hit or miss and apparently I managed to get a decent build.  That right there is a bonus to being able to try it first!

I did do a little digging on Fender's mahogany guitars, and found a model that looks JUST LIKE the one you linked to.  I'm curious if you have the actual model number of the one you'll be grabbing?  The CD-140SE has laminate back and sides but a solid top, while the one you linked to, the CD-60CE, is all laminate.  Not that it appears to make a big difference, as both have really great reviews!!! I'm just curious.  smile 

My little guitar is mahogany... I ADORE that mellow sound!  I think you'll love it too.  It's a little unique, especially when around a bunch of spruce tops. As a dread, I bet that sucker's got tons of BOOM!  smile

Happy NGD-to-Come, Bill ...

That's a very attractive guitar, and knowing Fender's rep for quality you should get great service out of it for a looonng time. As Roy Clarke used to say, "Y'all will be pickin' and grinnin'!"

11 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-05-08 16:04:16)

Thanks for looking out for me, Amy and TF. I kinda get the feeling that if we were neighbors, you'd let me call you and Mekidsdad and ask y'all to come with me and try it out first. smile

When I can, I'm going to take my phone and snap you all some pictures and let you see the model number and finish from all sides. Would that be okay?

I am, after all, primarily a drummer who's been "lured" to the "DARK SIDE" of guitar-playing with promises of chocolate chip cookies and friendship such as I have never known in real life and it is for this reason I tend to place myself into your capable hands (fingers?) wink

Thanks again and Happy Mother's Day, Amy, Janet, Ann, Carla and Maree! ----- Not sure about the motherhood situation of the aforementioned ladies, but best wishes for the day just the same. Also, I think I may have forgotten a few names, but the feeling's there anyway.

With Love

Bill and Dondra Craig

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

12 (edited by dino48 2016-05-08 17:24:03)

mekidsmom wrote:

I just have one question, Bill.  You say you're buying it at a pawn shop for $300.  Is it NEW?  Cuz, you do see that Amazon listing you linked to, right?  It's the same price there... and it's new.  I didn't think pawn shops sold new stuff... so... just curious and don't want to see you get ripped off my friend!

It's purty.  Never played one though.  Reviews on Amazon look mostly positive.  My dad still has his first cheap learner guitar and it happens to be a Fender.  smile

I saw it at amazon also, I would rather have the new one.Bill make sure you check out the electronic functions on it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I THOUGHT that I didn't like Fender guitars, but I love my Guild.  And it turns out that Fender owned Guild when it was built.  So I guess I love Fender guitars. 

Mahogany is sweet, dude.  I just love the sound.  I've got two acoustics with mahogany bodies and a solid body bass with a humongous mahogany body that has sustain as long as you could want it to have.  I used to hit a note, walk down the block for a cup of coffee, take a short break on a park bench, and get back to the practice just in time to hit the next note. 

Have a good one.  Enjoy the guitar.  Enjoy the challenge of new songs on it.  And give a big ol' smooch to SWMBO to thank her for letting you work it out.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Bill, if we all lived closer then MekidsDad and myself would probably be upset if you didn't call us up and ask us to come along and check it out with you first!  Not that we know a lot about a lot, but I'm a researching fool (and pretty good at getting people to come down on prices), and MekidsDad loves an opportunity to check out guitars and pawn shops!  smile  Yeah, absolutely snap some pics and put em up here.  That's part of what we're all here for! 

Frankly, if I thought that epi of mine was anything worth giving away, I'd just send it to you!  The Fender you're looking at looks like a much nicer guitar though.  smile  With mahogany, electronics, and that cut-away you're getting a LOT!  Thanks for the happy Mother's Day wishes!  Send mine right back to Dondra as well please!

Thank you, my friend.

I went this afternoon to take some phone pics and she was gone. Some lucky musician snapped her up before I could get my dollars down, so I hope he needed that fine looking lady more than me and that they will make beautiful music together. smile

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Good luck with the next one Bill.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Next time, next time.  Check out some mom and pop shops.  The one near me allows musicians to put guitars on layaway with no fees and no minimums, as long as you're paying something and progressing.  Ask.  It never hurts!  smile

I'll do that, Amy.

Thanks! smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Sorry to hear that, Bill. Your misadventure sounds like some of my fishing trips ... you can guess the rest.

Well, I didn't get the guitar, but I do have my friends and that's saying something right there, TF! smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

21 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-05-19 10:26:22)

Hi Bill ...

Been thinking about you, and wondering if you have another guitar lined up on your "Must Be Acquired" list? I trust all is well with yourself and Mrs. Musicator?

Well, let's just say I'm in negotiations regarding one, TF. Thanks for remembering me! smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass