Topic: BARRE CHORDS- DARYL

Hello! I really want to play other songs but it seems like barre chords wouldnt let me. xD. Whenever I execute to play it, some of the strings will mute and sounds badly. I guess until now, I dont have enough index finger strength to push every strings. If you wouldnt mind, I would like to ask you about different finger exercises that you could recommend for me so that this finger of my mine will have enough strength to get the sound works. Im looking forward for your recommendations and suggestions. Thanks!

Re: BARRE CHORDS- DARYL

I've found that lots of problems with barre chords can be attributed to technique and instrument, not hand strength. You shouldn't need to have a vice grip to sound notes. With that, a few things:

1. Make sure your guitar is set up correctly and action is low enough that you don't have to do a ton of work.
2. Make sure your guitar neck is in a high enough position to allow your hand to hang from your elbow. Prop your left knee up or use a strap, even when sitting. This is good position: https://deftdigits.com/blog/wp-content/ … osture.jpg  This is bad position: http://www.fretjam.com/images/acoustic- … itting.jpg Also make sure your guitar isn't angled upward toward you. This makes it easier to see the fretboard but much harder to play, i.e. http://takelessons.com/blog/wp-content/ … 06/117.png
3. When you fret a barre chord (or any note for that matter) the pressure doesn't go directly in to the fret board. Your elbow pulls your hand both back and down slightly. So you are using gravity, not hand strength, to fret notes.

Hope this helps!

The best exercise is to play barre chords on your guitar.  Very, very slowly if you need to to get a good clean sound.  It will take a while.  Then it will take less time.  And eventually you'll be playing them so fast that no one will notice that you're getting muffled notes. 

There are a bunch of videos on Youtube with hints about barre chords.  I'd suggest watching a few of them and take the bits that make sense to you given your hand, your guitar, and your interests.  Then practice, practice, practice. 

For what it's worth, everyone who has ever played guitar has had trouble with barre chords.  Even Russell.  Until they practiced enough to learn how to do them.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I've found another good practice exercise is to take one "scale" practice session during the week and do it the same way normal practice sessions are done, only do it on a twelve string. It's awkward at first, but it makes any 6 string seem so much easier to handle. If you play them slow enough to ensure complete coverage of both stringed notes, and work on tonal quality, the six can take on a new sound with touch effect.

Without paying close enough attention, I misposted this to a barre thread. Sorry folks!!!

6 (edited by mekidsmom 2016-05-19 11:42:58)

KevinRK wrote:

Without paying close enough attention, I misposted this to a barre thread. Sorry folks!!!

I think it's still good advice though!  wink

edited for spelling - ahh!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

KevinRK wrote:

Good advice anyway.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I play in Barres all the time on acoustic..... not as often in Bars though.  I'm totally behind what that Bald Guitar Fellow said !!  Most of our (including me) problems with finger placement and clean sounding chords/notes can be directly attributed to poor habits formed while we were still learning. (some of us get to blame arthritis though).... wink  Get the posture right and thumb well behind the neck, practice in short sessions often, and it will all come together.

Edited to Add:  Try to learn to form your "first position" open chords without using your index finger also. the A,D, E, G, C, and minor shapes are mobile up the neck with the addition of the "index finger Barre" and it might make transitions into and out of Barred forms easier down the road.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

With barre chord try to hit the barre in the middle between the frets. In that position it takes the least finger pressure to get very clean sound.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.