1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-07-07 23:10:08)

Topic: "Swamp Rock"

For a brief time (so brief, I bet no one has ever heard of the term) there existed in the 60's a rock term called "Swamp Rock" which was begun by the great Creedence Clearwater Revival. Instrumentally, it was presented by another great group, The Ventures. Rather than bore you with instrumental renditions of songs already done by vocal groups, here's The Ventures with an original. During this time, no one had heard of or ever mentioned "Zydeco". Not until Paul Simon's masterpiece, "Graceland" - but that's what you're hearing if you choose to listen......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADGjRY9iXmg

Thanks, and we love y'all!

Bill and Dondra

PS: The album this tune is from is called "Swamp Rock"  and if you are a Ventures fan, you couldn't do them justice if you don't have this one in your collection. Also check out their "Jim Croce Songbook".

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: "Swamp Rock"

One more, if I may? Slide guitar here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVgmy6tq_HA

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

I had heard of Zydeco.  My Mom loved to twirl around the living room playing her Clifton Chenier albums.  We kids went with Mama Something and the Something Playboys (or something like that).  Darned if I can remember the band's name, but I can remember the sound.  CJ Chenier's "Too Much Fun" is one of my favorite albums. 

And this is from a Pennsylvania boy.  It was this stuff or Crystal Gayle.  Now, there's nothing wrong with Crystal Gayle, but some good Zydeco on the radio and some twirling around the hardwood floors of our front hall with a pretty teenaged girls (when I was teen of course) was a whole lot more fun.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Queen Ida!  That's who it was.  Thank you Google!

Edit to add a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG7kJywfGgg

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Oh Yeah!!  But yew caint really have Zydeco music without Accordians in there somewheres..... sub in a fiddle and yew jus got sum Bayou Bluegrass.  Not that there's anything wrong with that. wink

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks for posting this thread Bill.

My brother (10 years older than me) and I listened to "Randy"s Record Shop" and "Ernie's Record Mart" on WLAC out of Gallatin TN  in the late 50's/early 60's. (Although I usually had to go to bed before Randy's came on).  It was mostly rhythm and blues but occasionally there would be some cajun songs played called "swamp pop".  I'm guessing this was the precursor of the "swamp rock" of the late 60's and early 70's that you're talking about. 

I've never heard the Ventures "Swamp Rock" album before ( I checked their discography - it came out in 1970), although in the early 60's I wore out their "Surfing" LP.  For a midwest kid, songs about surfing and beach parties were things I could only dream about.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Doug_Smith wrote:

Oh Yeah!!  But yew caint really have Zydeco music without Accordians in there somewheres..... sub in a fiddle and yew jus got sum Bayou Bluegrass.  Not that there's anything wrong with that. wink

Don't make me come up there, Douglas!!!! smile smile smile

The Ventures are a 3-man guitar 1 drummer group, and if you'll give what I posted another listen, you'll hear that lead gitt-ar sounding like a fiddle!!! So we'll have to just say, "close enough for rock 'n roll" and leave it at that....

Mah Brotha! smile

Oh yeah. Dondra asks if you and Janet might ever wanna go frawg-giggin'????

smile

Love ya' Dude!~

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

8 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-07-08 03:21:52)

Dirty Ed wrote:

Thanks for posting this thread Bill.

My brother (10 years older than me) and I listened to "Randy"s Record Shop" and "Ernie's Record Mart" on WLAC out of Gallatin TN  in the late 50's/early 60's. (Although I usually had to go to bed before Randy's came on).  It was mostly rhythm and blues but occasionally there would be some cajun songs played called "swamp pop".  I'm guessing this was the precursor of the "swamp rock" of the late 60's and early 70's that you're talking about. 

I've never heard the Ventures "Swamp Rock" album before ( I checked their discography - it came out in 1970), although in the early 60's I wore out their "Surfing" LP.  For a midwest kid, songs about surfing and beach parties were things I could only dream about.

DE

My pleasure, Ed. I just wanted to make sure that for one brief shining moment, we did have Zydeco and even before we even knew we had it, we did: Here's an early example (then known as just "Cajun Music"):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2W2aB7E24M)

Is it Zydeco, or is it just ol' rock and roll?

Oh! Ed? About "Randy's Record Shop" and "Ernies"?  Take a look on Amazon. I used to listen deep in the night to WLAC with just a transistor radio and one yellowed earpiece. I credit BOTH of them with getting me into drumming and music. Oh yeah! JOHN R!. Always thought he was black, but nope - he just loved R&B like you and I did! ROYAL CROWN LIVES!!!!!

Let's start a discussion, shall we?

Love Y'all!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Tell ya what there Brotha.... we got Bullfrogs, and they're an "invasive species" (so no limit).  But like Janet's Dad said, "I'll only eat them if you kill them BEFORE taking the legs off!!

As for the music, we do remember those days.  But I always think this ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa8vyTfugcI ) when I think of Zydeco.
Enjoy

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hmmm... does Emmet Otter's Jug Band count?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uFy_LDrgm4 wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Every August at the Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts they have the Swamp Romp where they get three to five Cajun and Zydeco bands to play.  It's always a good time and reasonably priced especially if you get lawn seats. 

In our county there's also a large winery named Breaux, the owner after which it is named is from Louisiana.  They have a Cajun festival each summer as well.  It's a bit pricey, but I hear it's a good time.  I haven't been because of the cost.

!

mekidsmom wrote:

Hmmm... does Emmet Otter's Jug Band count?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uFy_LDrgm4 wink

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

I wish I could write one of those things that make a farting sound with one's mouth! LOL

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Zurf wrote:

Every August at the Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts they have the Swamp Romp where they get three to five Cajun and Zydeco bands to play.  It's always a good time and reasonably priced especially if you get lawn seats. 

In our county there's also a large winery named Breaux, the owner after which it is named is from Louisiana.  They have a Cajun festival each summer as well.  It's a bit pricey, but I hear it's a good time.  I haven't been because of the cost.

From what I hear in Lousiania, one needs to keep it "between the ditches" because the music, sweat and the liquor flows hot. I know the Wolf-Trap, but never been there.

smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

15 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-07-09 22:05:20)

What the heck? Y'all (and my Louisiana Friend NELA) wouldn't mind just one more by The Ventures, right, please? This one is called "Jambalaya" --- yes, the same one by the great HANK WILLIAMS and in the break it features an "accordion-sounding thing", but I'm not sure it IS an accordion. It sounds like one of those "squeeze box" thingies old sailors used to play> Listen and tell me whatcha think, okay?

Always

Bill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci2cIfNC6LA

And I know y'all didn't ASK for it, but when I wrote "Squeezebox" up there, well..... I just couldn't help myself...... Hope you enjoy both these tunes......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRkd90nTqZ0

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass