Topic: Chordians

Gidday All
been a while since i posted.although i still been following & enjoying everyones music.
i`ve had a crisis of confidence,been writing stuff but haven`t felt confident to put it out there.
I don`t know if any of you have this problem? I really enjoy writing,but have become very critical of myself.
https://soundcloud.com/rough-as-gut/get-what-you-give
any how as i`m back in the mood for a moment here`s one i just banged out.
the second part maybe better than the first,as i forgot to turn off the recorder!

The King Of Audio Torture

Re: Chordians

Welcome back among the group !!  If you were wondering, we missed you...... but life has a funny way of getting in the way, so occasional absences are unavoidable at times.  big_smile

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I think the hard thing for all musicians and songwriters is not having an audience. As much as I love Chordie I often wonder how many people on here take the time to actually go and listen to other Chordians output rather than just read their words. I am sure that most people will make that time if they have got it but if your not one of those listeners I would encourage you to listen to some of our family of chordians output.  For me the song means more than the theory behind it. I obviously am guilty of not giving feed back and taking everyone  music in, but if we all just give a couple minutes of our listen time to  some chordians we dont necessarily listen to I think our feed back has real value.

As for crisis of confidence, I understand that.  I've written several songs that I put a lot of effort into but just couldn't bring myself to play or like.  They weren't "good enough."  I kind of wish our Songwriting section was better at critique, though I like that it's so strong on encouragement.  I haven't felt that I can put up a song there and get an accurate read on what could be improved with it, even when I know there's something wrong with it. 

Two songs I've written, but have been lost to the paper shuffle in my office are in that boat.  One is about my father-in-law and is titled "I'll Be Fine," and the other other is about a broken down bull rider I knew who had a good heart but did a lot of bad things all stemming from his upbringing in which he never had the chance to learn right from wrong.  He drank himself to death ten or so years ago.  He's one of those guys where you have to believe that if God has any mercy at all, he'll have been brought home and made whole.  Anyway, that one is called "A Bottle Of Friday Night." 

I've never performed them, and only shared them with Dirty Ed because I'm confident he'll give honest but still encouraging feedback.  Neither is up to snuff, and both have been more or less lost and will need to be rewritten at this point.

I'm glad you've got your wheels back under you.  Stay on the good foot.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

You're absolutely spot on Zurf.  I do love the encouragement of members here, but I still never really know if my songs are any good when I put them up.  I think - personally - if the songwriting section had more constructive critique going on in it - it'd encourage me to write more (or maybe stop writing at all, who knows!  ha ha). 

On that note - Easybeat - it's hard for me to understand the lyrics in this one - but I think I get the idea of the song.  One more verse I think is needed to push home the idea being portrayed in the chorus.  Put it up over in the songwriting section with the lyrics for us, could you? I really like your chord progression and strumming style though!  There's a nice bridge in there too.  Those are the hardest parts for me!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I'm guilty as well of not giving a lot of feed back on peoples posting I do have a listen to all of them when I see them. but not knowing squat about music other what some else has said " I know what I like" I wouldn't know what to tell some one to improve a song.

out of tune out of key and out of touch

Easy you are very hard on yourself you have a good voice and do songs well.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

mojo01 wrote:

I'm guilty as well of not giving a lot of feed back on peoples posting I do have a listen to all of them when I see them. but not knowing squat about music other what some else has said " I know what I like" I wouldn't know what to tell some one to improve a song.

I'm in that "camp" as well..... I used to write a lot until I turned into my own worst critic and into someone I didn't like anymore.  To be effective in offering advise, one has to be:  Well versed in the subject and experienced enough to offer information that is helpful.  Encouraging without being Patronizing, and Frank without being mean.

Not scoring high in any of these traits, I disqualify myself.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

If you love song writing just do it. Not everyone has the same taste in music.The love of my life Maree loves me but not my music. I dont like listening to myself singing or playing but find it trelaxing having a play around with music. Not every song works out but the more you do it the better chance one has of writing a good one. Most people dont like what I write but every now and then someone does and that is good enough for me. So my only advice is dont be to hard on yourself release your songs to the world and maybe they will grow legs or just sit on the shelf. Either way you had the courage to give it a go.

Many thanks for all your comments.

easybeat .... i am just glad to see your back up and into it! Good for you!  You are one of my favourite guitarist!  You, like the rest of us, have some successful ones, and some not so successful ones in regards to songs, song writing, music in general  ....... it`s all part of it i think, whether a song writer, poet, musician, whatever.... but the main thing is the main thing ........ DOING IT, having FUN and we are never going to please everyone ever!  So enjoy doing what you enjoy, writing, playing and singing smile

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

EASY! DITTO ON WHAT EVERYONE SAID!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Hey easybeat, every songwriter has their ups and downs - times when the muse seems to disappear, times when what we write isn't up to our own "standards", etc.  In the last couple years I've went through spells of several months where  I haven't had the inspiration to write any new songs followed by a sudden burst of energy and ideas which produce several new tunes. 

I also am one of those that doesn't post my songs on chordie.  For several years I hung out with a group of aspiring Nashville writers (Dayton/Cincinnati chapter of NSAI).  We would present our new songs to the group to be critiqued.  The goal was to push each of us to become better song writers so no punches were pulled when it came to discussions about each song's strong and weak points, areas for improvement, etc.  At first I may have been a little thinned-skinned about the criticism but grew to appreciate the honesty and hopefully it made me a better writer.  I know that chordians are very supportive but it seems no one dares to to mention a song's weak areas or offer suggestions for improvement.  In the words of one of my song-writing friends its an "I love me wall" of expected praise but little criticism.  Probably not a bad thing, as talking to someone face-to-face during a critique session is a lot easier to do than over social media where some of the nuances behind the critique are lost.  For the same reason, I don't post my songs on social media, preferring to play them live to audiences where I can get honest feedback from facial expressions, etc. 

However, thankfully just like in the differences in our musical tastes we are different in how we want to present our songs to the public if we wish to do so.  I have some "pickin" friends who have written a few songs that are personal and although they are well written will only play them for family or close friends, while others can't wait to record their new work and put it out for the world to hear.  Viva la difference!

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

14 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-08-16 08:45:14)

The "crisis of confidence" is something I've just had to get used to living with. I've written a lot of poetry, and have put some of it to music. But I can honestly say that I don't like any of them ... seriously. And since I don't like it, it's doubtful that praise (honest or otherwise) from anyone else would change that. Music is all about personal enjoyment for me, and as I near 60 that's probably how it will stay. Most of the music I genuinely enjoy listening to is pretty much beyond my ability, and I suspect that's why. I enjoy a lot of "creative surprise" factor in music, and it's hard to surprise oneself.

i am also guilty of "encouragement without help". i feel if i tell someone that an "A" would sound better than an "E" in a certain part of their composition or rephrasing a line would be too much like criticism and i want so much to be loved lol

i wrote a song a few weeks back (i only post songs i think may be relevant to chordians) in a reggae style and quite up-beat. my good friend jim (tigs) wrote to me and suggested a different feel, some minor chords and alternate words. he didn't know how i'd react so he posted to me directly. i must admit i was rather miffed at first but i re-recorded the song and realised that he was right, so thanks jim, you're my hero!

i have always said if anyone should need a little help with a song i am always available and happy to lend whatever help i can.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Peatle & i swap songs between us for a critique.
We agreed to be honest with each other.
But we also offer each other encouragement.
No song is all bad,there`s ALWAYS good bits whether it be a particular line or phrase,
Progression /style/vocal/guitar sound.
So yeah if a songs just not working a new pair of ears is great.
thanks Phill,i will take you up on that offer of help.
I have written a song i like, but can`t get past my first take on it,it needs a fresh look.