1 (edited by flyerphil 2016-08-20 17:37:31)

Topic: Man In Black

Good afternoon everyone

Have been spending some time recently getting into Johnny Cash's brilliant "Man In Black"  Here he is
performing to students on campus 1971 (watch this youtube ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t51MHUENlAQ

There are many variations Chord wise. The one on Chordie  Artists/Cash Johnny/16 biggest hits/ is an interesting key. However I found that to my own taste I could play this one transposing it to the G chord by -5 semitones
It's low enough and pretty straightforward chords without using a capo Interested to know if any other guitar players.....I'm the occasional pick it up player of 10 years experence  ......have found this a good variation......I guess it's each one to his taste yeah.. God bless Johnny Cash, in our hearts forever

Re: Man In Black

Welcome to the Forums Phil !!

Johnny had some good music in his arsenal, hence the long and successful career.  I usually find the original key not too hard to keep up with although my "comfort zone" vocally is Bb.  The transposition feature is really useful for finding easier chords, and the capo for adjusting for range....
pretty much anything can get into the areas where the music is playable for everyone regardless of skill and experience.

Thanks for posting and "don't be a stranger".... there's lots of folks around these parts would be happy to get to know you.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Welcome to Chordie and great job jumping right in.  Transposition is quite the topic hereabouts lately.

Very nice introductory post,  flyerphil! Once can see right away you have more than just a nodding acquaintance with the  guitar and I agree: John was a great poet and singer.

Echoing my friend Doug's words of welcome, come back often and teach us something!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Thanks guys for your heartfelt welcome....really nice comments
Makes a welcome change to be in touch with someone like yourselves on the other side of the pond.
Johnny sure has a varied collection of songs for sure as you said Doug, so there is no doubt a selection that anyone can get their heads around.  Have never been a fan of the capo to be honest as I found it strangely weird getting used to starting on a different fret, so generally stick to the normal fret positions with not too many chord changes
I really love some of John's later work from "American Recordings" and this link gives a sample of some superb songs. Includes an interesting chat too with Jools Holland (1994) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22S0t2cZS8E

Hey there Bill, well thanks for the vote of confidence....am ten years in and still learning the old acoustic
I guess I don't pick up the ol guitar often enough but it's real therapy when I do.it's real good therapy next to hill walking
Hope you're doing good in  Carrollton, Georgia, and catch you soon perhaps-

Guitar Dude.................Glad to know that transposing is popular as i'd be pretty lost without it without a doubt,
it sure gives you access  ,take care .............

Phil