1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-08-23 04:10:00)

Topic: My Musical Instruments & My Will

About 5 years ago at Christmas, my Grandso got a "Shorter-Configured Epi Les Paul with a 15 watt amp and a built in Metronome. I told him it was his to do with as he pleased -- it was a gift, after all -- , but henceforth, if he asked for a particular brand, that I would take it as  an indication he was now seriously pursuing all that goes along with learning to play and that we would "progress" with the looks and electronics as well as the training.

This got me to thinking: What about my guitars and drums and  stands and stuff?

I have already made my brother the executor of said Will and Codicil, so I plan to ask him to either donate the instruments to some deserving young person or, if my brother agreed,  they could be sold and the proceeds be used toward the purchases of something this young person really wanted.

How does this sound you, my family, and have you ever been in a similar situation?

Also, the rest of my family will not be ignored. wink

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: My Musical Instruments & My Will

My feeling is your grandson would prefer to have the instruments that actually belonged to, and were played by, his grandfather. I still have a couple of items that belonged to my grandfather that I treasure.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I would tend to echo your thoughts Roger..... there is such a thing as "Sentimental Value", which transcends intrinsic value like a Royal Straight Flush trumps Four Aces (I hope I got that right.... not a Poker player).

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I have a friend named in my will knows what to do with mine.  My main acoustic would be saved for the baby, high end instruments liquidated for college, and the rest given away or donated.

Doug_Smith wrote:

I would tend to echo your thoughts Roger..... there is such a thing as "Sentimental Value", which transcends intrinsic value like a Royal Straight Flush trumps Four Aces (I hope I got that right.... not a Poker player).

Bill I am thinking like Roger and Doug..

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I agree with the expressions about sentimental value; there's no way to measure that. My three personal assets are my musical instruments, my library (+/- 3,000 books), and my fishing rods & gear. Unfortunately, neither of my boys are interested in any of it, so I expect they will be left to close friends that I shared these interests with.

My grandfather died in August 2000, and he didn't really have much except a heart as big as a clear blue sky. He left me the two things he knew that I would treasure most, being his two Merrick bamboo fly rods. One is an 8' - 5wt he used for trout, and the other is a 10' - 9wt he used for salmon. All I have to do is pick one up and the tears start ... he was a very special man.

If any of our stuff could hold value for our off-spring, that would be where I'd want it to go. Grampie taught me that.

Tenement Funster wrote:

I agree with the expressions about sentimental value; there's no way to measure that. My three personal assets are my musical instruments, my library (+/- 3,000 books), and my fishing rods & gear. Unfortunately, neither of my boys are interested in any of it, so I expect they will be left to close friends that I shared these interests with.

My grandfather died in August 2000, and he didn't really have much except a heart as big as a clear blue sky. He left me the two things he knew that I would treasure most, being his two Merrick bamboo fly rods. One is an 8' - 5wt he used for trout, and the other is a 10' - 9wt he used for salmon. All I have to do is pick one up and the tears start ... he was a very special man.

If any of our stuff could hold value for our off-spring, that would be where I'd want it to go. Grampie taught me that.

TF Salmon and Trout fishing is so great but we do not have a places to go nearby here.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman