Topic: FAV SONGS

Its interesting to note how many songs and artists from the late 60s and early 70s are still young and olds favs today
        over 50 years old.
Interesting

Re: FAV SONGS

copper wrote:

Its interesting to note how many songs and artists from the late 60s and early 70s are still young and olds favs today
        over 50 years old.
Interesting

Hi copper welcome to the forum I think most the songs from those years were the best.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I may be biased,  but I think mid 60's to mod 70's their was so many talented musicians around. And the one song for me that stands out above the rest. Waterloo Sunset by The Kinks

Thick as two short planks

In the late 60's early 70's  I was continually excited by the differant music that was coming out of recording studios. There was such diversity and  far to many to pin down one song.

What I liked about 50's, 60's and 70's songs are that the radio stations and marketing agents hadn't done such a refined job of segmenting music.  You could get songs and groups that don't fit anywhere.  Chicago is a good example.  Are the jazz?  Are they rock?  Are they funk?  Are they pop?  The simple answer is "Yes."  Once pop got more and more refined, Chicago proceeded to suck more and more as they set about fitting into the genre.  Johnny Cash is another example.  He's in the Country and the Rock and Roll halls of fame.  Dylan too was folk, pop, and rock all at once.  Now, if you aren't formula, you'd better have a darned good internet marketing campaign.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

What I liked about 50's, 60's and 70's songs are that the radio stations and marketing agents hadn't done such a refined job of segmenting music.  You could get songs and groups that don't fit anywhere.  Chicago is a good example.  Are the jazz?  Are they rock?  Are they funk?  Are they pop?  The simple answer is "Yes."  Once pop got more and more refined, Chicago proceeded to suck more and more as they set about fitting into the genre.  Johnny Cash is another example.  He's in the Country and the Rock and Roll halls of fame.  Dylan too was folk, pop, and rock all at once.  Now, if you aren't formula, you'd better have a darned good internet marketing campaign.

Well said.

Hey copper,

Just wanted to let you know; I moved this out of the "Featured Song of the Month" section and into "chat" where it is more appropriate. smile

There did seem to be more emphasis on musicianship and composition during those years.

A lot of barriers were also being pushed / broken, both technically and compositionally, as well as in theatricality. As a lifelong fan of Prog Rock, I was concerned about being "stuck in the 70's" musically, with bands like Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, ELP, Gentle Giant, etc. What's been a true revelation (and a relief) is that there are still lots of groups today making this kind of music, and doing it very well (Steven Wilson, Marillion, Unitopia, Mostly Autumn, etc.)

And not surprisingly (just like in the disco-era 70's) very little of it makes for popular airplay.

They also used actual instruments. If someone had an awful voice, there was no auto tune to make it tolerable. There was no MTV either. Also, no USB connections in the car either. We used to have AM radios that were static ridden and played music all the time.At night we could listen to far away stations like WLS in Chicago while cruising or hanging out with friends. Technology has taken over.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

They also used actual instruments. If someone had an awful voice, there was no auto tune to make it tolerable. There was no MTV either. Also, no USB connections in the car either. We used to have AM radios that were static ridden and played music all the time.At night we could listen to far away stations like WLS in Chicago while cruising or hanging out with friends. Technology has taken over.

Those were the days my friend, we thought they would never end ........

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

I agree with everything said above. During the sixty's if a band used session musicians it caused big scandal here in the UK anyway. I can recall a big fuss about a song called Winchester Cathedral a full band with horns and stuff that never played on the record??? Don't get me started on the BeachBoys.

One of my all time favourite songs Close to the Edge by Yes, or anything by the Beatles.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

12 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-09-05 14:03:13)

Phill Williams wrote:

One of my all time favourite songs Close to the Edge by Yes ...

I'm completely with you on this one, Phill. These guys never pulled any punches when it came to either musicianship or composition. My favorite version of CTTE is the two-part live concert they did in Amsterdam back 2002 ... simply majestic:

Part 1:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOrdEcJZyt0

Part 2:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvAa-RtwIhI

(in case you haven't already seen it)

13 (edited by beamer 2016-09-09 04:03:53)

JJJ beat me to it, but I will chime in a bit also, You also had Studios who gave big budgets to bands, the budgets for the Doobies and Aerosmith and their piers were ridiculous.  Also holding companies were buying up the small studios looking to cash in and they didn't know shnizzle about it.  It was a two edge sword, we got some amazing bands that way, and we also got a whole lot of trash (which we still do, but that's the way of things).  So then along comes the CD, and quickly after, the MP3 and 4, and data sharing.  OH lets not forget Deregulating the industry.  small stations exist, but they have no range and most the programming is talk / politics .  I heart owns most the country and there is one or two more fighting for control.  sure NBC ABC & CBS own a lot of stations but they have thrown in with Iheart and there is now real diversity.  Just last night I had on one station and it was playing RHCP Give it away, when the commercials came on, I hit my other station, and it was starting RHCP Give it away,,  it happens a lot.  NO money in Records/CD's.  the glory days are gone.  You better have some good sponsors and be ready to hit the road like crazy and merch the crap out of yourself to make the $$.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Zurf wrote:

Deregulating the communications sector in the late 70's and abolishing the fairness doctrine in  1987 is what lead to this.   You got that wide variety of content because radio stations had to compete in the market for listeners.   After deregulation, huge conglomerates could buy up all the stations in a market, so consolidating on a single format was a smart business move as it reduced costs.

Find yourself a radio station that isn't owned by Clearchanel, iHeartRadio, or some other giant corporation, and listen to it.  It's really all you can do.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

15 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-09-09 19:12:32)

Or ... don't listen to the radio at all! big_smile

There's enough content on YouTube to last a lifetime, and I've set up some pull-down menus in my browser, where I've saved concerts or albums I like. Sometimes one will be taken down, but there's always another version. If one wishes to convert YouTube music to MP3s, that can be done with one of several on-line converters (http://convert2mp3.net/en/) so they can be saved on your computer, burned to a CD, or loaded on your MP3 player.
NOTE: These services state that they are legal, or I wouldn't even suggest it.

There are also several great streaming services available, where the listener can determine their own content. Free services like Jango (http://www.jango.com/) let you determine the genre you like ... and away you go.

up to the early 60's this side of the pond all we had was BBC radio which was run by chinless upper class twits who believed that entertainment was the Black and white minstrel show, based on that guy who sang "mammy" cant remember his name! then some enterprising person or two decided it was time to make some money and please the "younger" generation by starting up commercial radio stations. the aforementioned UCtwits reviled this idea and banned them so they took to the oceans, and sailed up and down the UK just outside the 3 mile limit. the UCT's and the government (one and the same) clamped down on them and made them illegal, but they gifted us with radio 1,2,3 and 4. radio 1 being for us teenagers and the rest for "the more discerning listener" yeah right! we were fed all the "pop and bubblegum music" we could cope with. it wasn't till the likes of John Peel and a few others that we were allowed to listen to "the good stuff" Yes, (early) Genesis, Jethro Tull, Supertramp and of course Led Zeppelin.
i still listen to radio 2 on occasion, especially late at night, during the day we still get fed politics, show music and chat shows.
i was watching a programme with Charlot Church (the singer) today, and i enjoyed listening to what she had to say regarding UCT's (the government) and the people that run everything else, charities and good causes. she also had a lot to say about record executives and producers and plonkers like Simon Cowel who take raw talent and put them through their production line so that they come out sounding just like all the other poor saps that were glad just to get their chance and make a bit of cash. FYI it seems quite a few of them have become TV hosts or make appearances on shows like; Big Brother etc, to me those shows are for has beens that want to make a come back. so sad.

well i've had my rant and now i'm going to bed with a clear heart. nos da

17 (edited by Peatle Jville 2016-09-10 01:10:19)

I think the trouble with the world  is it has been taken over by big corporates in everything from media to all sorts of businesses. Here in NZ we followed the UK, we  had a group of people set up a pirate radio station outside our three mile limit on the sea. In their earlier years they were great but when they came into the system and were sold to a big corporation it was radio like everyone else with set play lists. The trouble with these Simon Cowel type characters is the big money backs them and how it operates is on boring staid formulas which work on copies of previous things that have satisfied the bean counters. The space that was made available for the original  innovative ideas and a chance to improvise that was for a short time, made available to people on TV and radio has been taken away by  controlling corporates.

18 (edited by Doug_Smith 2016-09-10 01:47:12)

I often wondered where all those little stations went...... being a "child of the 60s" getting used to being back in the States.  Waking up to "The Real Don Steele, on 93KHJ" at 9 in the morning on a "Beautiful Sunny Saturday here in Boss Angeles where it's 72 degrees and Surf's Up with The Beach Boys... Help Me Rhonda!".  Radio was supported by Advertising revenue, and if you had a good sales staff, you could pretty much play anything the censors would pass.  Record Labels mailed out thousands of "demo" vinyl disks (usually 45s) and the DJ picked the playlist based on his own opinion and call volume on the "request lines are open", not compiled by some bean counter in an office on the other coast, based on if this or that Studio was paying an extra hundredth of a cent for every time it aired on one of your stations.

Sorry for the run-on sentence there.... I do miss the "Wolfman", Charlie Tuna, and the "gang".  I listen to the College Stations these days (not revenue driven so much), although there are a few I avoid.... one in particular only has like 30 tunes it cycles through, which wouldn't be bad IF I only wanted to hear Rap and Hip-Hop repeated hourly all day long.
There are a couple Country stations out there too, but they "jumped the Shark" and signed on to the Conglomerates also..... which means now I can hear the same 30 country tunes cycled through every hour all day long for a change of pace.  Hello Pandora!

edited to correct radio station from 92 to 93.... which by the way is now located in American Samoa.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Sevyn Streeter - How Bad Do You Want It is my Favorite song from fast and furious seven and also love me like you do from Fifty Shades of Grey. this two tracks I loves a lots

Doug's post above reminded me of a Cellar bar I used to play 20 years ago near Carmarthen. The DJ was a bassist in a band and ran a "pirate" radio station with some others just for the benefit of the locals, I wonder if it's still going?

Another point for Doug, we have a station called Magic that Ann likes to have on on a Sunday morning while we're cleaning and cooking the lunch. They play 60's and up to new songs and no rap or techno. (FYO, IT'S ON THE INTERNET) But they do seem to be playing the same tracks every week. Come on guys, there must be thousands of good tracks in the last 60 or so years, no need to stick to the same ones over and over.

I like Outlaw Country    and Classic Vinyl on Sirius radio

What's really great is their hosts and interviews explaining songs and giving history associated with them.. The Steve Earle show on Sunday mornings is captivating !!

My favorite song generally depends on the mood I'm in and what I'm drinking smile

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Thanks for the "heads up " Phill.... I'll wander out there and give a listen.  Thinking back, I remember a fellow at University (I'll call him Scott because he is still in broadcasting and well known hereabouts wink ), who ran a "bootleg" station out of his Dorm Room. The Federal Communications Commission was always trying to find him, so he'd change frequency often and had a random schedule.  Something like 30,000 watts of output that still didn't go too far because he had "tapped into" the gutters and downspouts of the building for an antenna (the ONLY reason they didn't catch him... no visible mast).  Scott had a good collection of "restricted & banned" music that folks got to hear which was not available even in the Stores. Lots of others loaned records for grins, and broadcast information was passed by "word of mouth", when the streetlights dimmed it was about time to tune-in!

Pirate stations were at he cutting edge of freeing up the airwaves and bringing new artists and Bands into bedrooms and dashboards of a whole generation.... despite the Censors and objections of our "Conservative Parents".

Hats Off and a Hearty Thank You !!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare