Topic: What chord would you call this?

Hello,
I've been looking around the various online chord naming websites, but the variation of Cm6/Cm7 I'm trying to name, doesn't return any known name for this chord.

Firstly, on the Guitar, a Cm7 fretting pattern is... X - 3 - 5 - 3 - 4 - 3
which is... C - G - A# - Eb - G

I am adding a subtle discordant variation by raising the high G to an A.
On the Guitar, the fretting pattern is now... X - 3 - 5 - 3 - 4 - 5
which is... C - G - A# - Eb - A
It is sort of like a Cm6, but I'm retaining the A#, (from the Cm7), instead of raising it to a C.

As you can see, there is both an A#  and an  A. Still... it sounds nice, as does chords like Cmaj7 on the guitar which has discordant notes.

You music theory genius-ness wold be appreciated.

Regards
SFG.

Original Music to Inspire & Uplift.

Re: What chord would you call this?

SunflowerGUY wrote:

Hello,
I've been looking around the various online chord naming websites, but the variation of Cm6/Cm7 I'm trying to name, doesn't return any known name for this chord.

Firstly, on the Guitar, a Cm7 fretting pattern is... X - 3 - 5 - 3 - 4 - 3
which is... C - G - A# - Eb - G

I am adding a subtle discordant variation by raising the high G to an A.
On the Guitar, the fretting pattern is now... X - 3 - 5 - 3 - 4 - 5
which is... C - G - A# - Eb - A
It is sort of like a Cm6, but I'm retaining the A#, (from the Cm7), instead of raising it to a C.

As you can see, there is both an A#  and an  A. Still... it sounds nice, as does chords like Cmaj7 on the guitar which has discordant notes.

You music theory genius-ness wold be appreciated.

Regards
SFG.

Having played the fingering you suggest C G A# Eb A it sounds very close to a diminished chord fingering xx4545  which has a F# root F# C D# A  it could be an enharmonic equivalent.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

3 (edited by Baldguitardude 2016-10-23 19:38:28)

Re: What chord would you call this?

That's called a 7/6 chord, notated as Cm7/6 or Cm7 add6.   

As an aside, your A# is correctly referred to as a Bb in this example since b, not a, is the 7th scale degree in c. Although they are enharmonic equivalents it's a lot easier to understand and explain theory when you use Bb instead of A#.

Hope that helps! smile