1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-12-10 01:13:03)

Topic: Strats Made In Mexico. Be Careful

And why wouldn't you be??? Y'all are PROS!

Still I have to post my own story about the midnight blue Strat I bought from eBay. I thought I was getting the genuine Fender article, but when I looked up the serial number -- yep ---- it was made in Mexico.

By this, I do not mean I got a shoddy guitar, just one which had not the resale value of an American-made one.

An older, but wiser (and who knows more about drums than guitars)

Bill smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Strats Made In Mexico. Be Careful

the Mex Strats are fine guitars, just hope you didn't overpay for it, Kinda why I love Betty so much, being a Squire, but not the dirt end of the line, and initial cost of 140 or so Im happy!! I hope you are very happy with the Mex, if something bothers ya, "hot rod it" with GFS upgrades. big_smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

3 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-12-10 05:43:00)

Yes. I certainly will  hot rod it and GFS at my earliest opportunity. But no idea what you are talking about, sorry!

I wish you and Betty all the happiness in the world, and here's hoping you will soon rise from being a "Squire" to whatever comes next.! smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

4 (edited by Doug_Smith 2016-12-10 07:33:47)

Bill, MIM (made in Mexico) Strats are genuine Fenders (as are I hear Squiers) and can actually be very good quality, and have been played and treasured tools of quite a number of "famous Musicians".  Which is not to say that there aren't some of any point of origin that have some faults.  GFS pickups are a good option if the sound is not to your liking, along with upgraded capacitors and pots.  I like to add some additional copper shielding inside the body recesses and solder ground wires to everything made of metal to reduce squeals and pops.... which is not a bad practice on any electric.

Don't go thinkin' you got "took" in other words....

Edited to Correct spelling.... sometimes my fingers get ahead of my brain wink

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I bought my strat in 1972 totally ignorant of the fact that there were MIMs! As it turned out it was but hey ho....right?
I played it on stage for 30 years or so struggling to get the sound I wanted and never getting there.
When I bought my Tele I played it in the shop for over an hour before buying. The guy told me upfront that it was a Mex I didn't care cos it had the sound and feel I was looking for, which are in my opinion the most important things.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

APOLOGIES OFFERED TO MY FRIEND BEAMER (SCOTT)!!!!

Sorry for the caps, but I needed to make sure y'all saw this.

My reply to you, Scott was, to say the least, a little snippy and this morning (after a night of a little too much red wine and trimming the tree, Christmas Carols and listening to my Chordian Friends) I looked at what I had written and thought to myself...... HUH???, and then I read it again and my imaginary friend (you'll learn more about him later) Noah Effingway, said , "Yup, you wrote that, you dip!"

So here I am, hat in hand (again) asking forgiveness from someone I don't even know personally, but consider as much a part of my family as I do my own and the rest of the Chordians.

I really am sorry, Scott....

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

I have 2 MIM Strats and a MIM Tele. They are great guitars. One is hot rodded and is an awesome guitar.  Fender`s website is a great way to research before you buy. It helps decipher serial numbers. I used that to make sure my MIA Squier was the real deal. Stupid Question. Wasn`t there a picture of the headstock on the Ebay post?? It says Made In Mexico right under Stratocaster.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I don't know what "hot-rodded" means. sad

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

9 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2016-12-14 09:43:46)

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

I don't know what "hot-rodded" means. :(Up graded pickups. a friend did it for me. Went a bit overboard. I think there may be pictures on a post in July.

Bill

Upgraded. New pickups.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I have a Mexican strat and it is as good as a American one and I think Russell Hardings strat is one also. mine only cost $170.00 case amd strings etc. I have owned it  for 17 years.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman