Topic: I tried to play a Christmas song for you guys

I couldn't do it.  I can't get past the "in two tongues one song filled up the sky."  It chokes me up every time. 

My grandfather was the strongest man I've ever known.  He worked stone and wood equally well.  When he would hunt he never took a sled because he'd just pick the deer up, toss it around his neck, and carry it out of the woods.  He was drafted for World War One.  The Army put his tremendous strength to use as a machine gunner, because on his own he could carry his own pack, a huge machine gun, the tripod for it, and ammunition.  It usually took three people. 

Well, in a terrible battle of wretched trench warfare in Belgium, he was the only survivor of the Germans and of the Americans.  At the end of the battle, he picked up the machine gun, ammunition, and rations, and started the 40 mile walk back to the closest American position he knew.  He reported in and was asked where his battalion was.  He told them, "I'm it." He was reassigned to another battalion and shipped out that afternoon to another battle...the infamously bloody and wretched Battle of Verdun.  The German general entered into that battle intending to make it a battle of attrition.  Over the months of battle the Germans lost 120,000 men.  The French lost 133,000.  I don't know how many Americans.  Maybe they weren't supposed to be there.  I have no idea how many of the 120,000 Germans fell before my grandfather's gun, but given his marksmanship and determination I'm guessing that it was more than a few. 

It was fifty years later in the late 1960's and early 1970's when I knew my grandfather.  He was a peaceful man of prayer whose marksmanship reserved solely for rabbits in his garden.  His ire was reserved for Joe Garagiola whose play-by-play commentary Pap-pap could not abide. 

I cannot sing the song below without thinking of this outstanding man, and how he was equally comfortable in either of the "two tongues" that filled the sky, and whatever he said in either language was bound to be worth the brief time it took him to say anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5on4WK1MpA

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

2 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-12-11 01:40:12)

Re: I tried to play a Christmas song for you guys

A note left for you on YouTube my friend. I really liked the story about your grandfather and thank you for sharing it with us. If it makes you feel any better (and it's not the same thing), I can't get through a certain Johnny Cash song without choking up (okay, bawling then!!! smile  )

Your Friend

Bill

PS: And it's NOT "A Boy Named Sue" either, you buncha jokers! smile smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Gidday Zurf
Fantastic story,well written.
also fantastic song.
I haven`t felt very christmassy this year.
But thanks to you i`m getting in the groove.

The King Of Audio Torture

Thanks for sharing Zurf - The song and the story

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Bill - That wasn't my Youtube account.  My Youtube name is "Halffastpaddler" or "Zurf." 

Another quick story on my grandfather.  As young men before the Great War, he and his two brothers were on a long hike and had gotten thirsty.  They were German speaking Swiss who came upon an Irish pub.  They went in to get a beer.  Now, the Irish and the Germans at that time were not on good grounds with one another. The relations had turned into riots more than once, but once famously in Brunswick, MD where the Irish building the railroad and the Germans building the C&O Canal got into a terrible brawl that left some dead. 

Anyway, things turned out about like you'd figure when a few German speaking fellows, despite not being Germans, wandered into an Irish bar.  My grandfather and his two brothers left that bar walking and in their own time.  The Irish (possibly including my great uncles who were Irish men who lived in the same area) got a sore whooping that day.  A whole bar full against three brothers.  My grandfather said, "If that's how inhospitable drinking makes you, then I'll not do it," and he never took another drink.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

6 (edited by TIGLJK 2016-12-11 14:33:21)

Zurf

Incredible stories......  your Grandfather is certainly a man to be proud of and a man I would've loved to call my friend.

That song had me on the verge of tears.
Thank you so much for sharing it.... I look forward to sharing that video with my social studies classes that I teach. I have taught about that experience while covering WWI, but had never heard of that song.  It is very meaningful.

Peace on Earth - what if they gave a war and nobody came ? 
Here's a little song that I've liked along those lines. ( although not even in the same league as the one posted here by Zurf)
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=wha … ORM=VRDGAR

Thanks again Zurf.....  hope you can get by the incredible emotions it pulls out of one's heart  and put  your version and passion into a cover of it - love to hear it.
Jim

P.S. 
Having some Irish blood myself, I did laugh about the bar brawl story .......  seems that beer and just about any excuse leads to that in many an Irish Pub smile

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Great stories and what a wonderful song. Do you have the chart for it handy and can you link it here or e-mail it to me? I generally don't care for playing xmas music but that song is fantastic.

BGD - It's in my public songbook "Zurf Christmas Tunage".  The name is "Christmas In The Trenches," and it's written by John McCutcheon.  He's one of Virginia's more successful folk artists, of which we have many.  Maybe it's something to do with magic in our ancient mountains, but we have many, many phenomenal folk and bluegrass artists. 

TIGJLK - I try every year, and fail every year.  Between it reminding me of my grandfather, and it being a miniature ecumenical course on the natures of man and God, it is difficult. Plus there are a lot of bass runs that need a strong and stretchy pinky.

9 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-12-11 19:06:33)

Zurf wrote:

Bill - That wasn't my Youtube account.  My Youtube name is "Halffastpaddler" or "Zurf."

I know, Buddy, smile

About that first YouTube name: A band I used to drum for used the first part of that name when our Lead Guitarist would announce that since some folks complained we played a particular song "too fast",  "from now on we'll play it HALF-FAST." smile

*rim-shot, cymbal crash*

Your Pal

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

My fishing friends used to complain because I'd go too fast through the productive water, and my whitewater friends used to complain that I'd go too slow through the slow water and didn't get to the rapids quickly enough.  So I went with Halffastpaddler.  I hardly ever get on the river anymore, but sure would like to get back to it.