1 (edited by gitaardocphil 2007-07-26 07:42:03)

Topic: communication breakdowns

Sometimes it is a little bit sad that there are what I call, communication problems.
- the site and forum are international, and sometimes NON ENGLISH members have difficulties to find the right word. Writing a WORD WIMAN IN STEAD OF WOMEN, or WOMAN as example.

I am glad that this is not a Chinese site, it would really problematic, don't they have about 4700 different characters? Some words that we pick up are slang: a VERY WELL KNOWN WORD, WE STILL WRITE A LOT, IF WE ARE WRITING ABOUT PINK FLOYD is UMMAGUMMA, a British SLANG word for SEXUAL INTERCOURSE.
It would sound funny to ask in the UK, and how is your Ummagumma today.

- sometimes, you get answers or questions, written in a more aggressive style not on purpose, but communication is never easy, even in a relationship, NO communication= PROBLEMS.
- Other people like to joke, while others don't.

I am not a moderator, not an administrator, I am just a very happy member, finding people, sharing the same passion: MUSIC.
I am not afraid to tell that I am disabled because of an accident, hit a tree driving 90 km /h =
60 miles / hour. Chance to survive 1/1000.000, and the 1 who did: 80-90% doomed to a life in a wheelchair. I am a very blessed person, I must have a very good Guardian Angel, because it is still possible to walk, using canes (? is this correct?). I have no progression at all, but my days are never boring.
I really own a lot to CHORDIE and YOU ALL MUSICIANS, it really helps me to meet "soul mates", I feel very comfortable here, trying to LEARN and WRITING MY OPINION, or ABOUT certain skills.

I was always told that music was bringing people closer, but there are (a very few) people writing answers in a way that can hurt somebody else, hurt is maybe a big word, because it is almost always a misunderstanding.
So please DON'T interprete some answer, as if you are attacked or under fire.
Every person has his style of writing. We find on chordie all different kinds of people, from a CEO to youngsters 14 years old.
Here I want to make clear that I, and probably the most of us, have absolutely no intention to give critics on a topic, or an answer. If it happens, at least in my case, you should know that one person is writing in a different way than another, I WILL NEVER OFFEND A FELLOW CHORDIAN ON PURPOSE.
Every person is unique, and should be treated with respect, no matter what intentions he might have, and no matter the why they write. Like in music, you will detect talented and performing people, same with writers (I am not Hemingway)
We all have an email, and I suggest to avoid a dispute on this beautiful site, that if someone feels as he is attacked personally, he has to understand that problems, almost all problems can be solved.
I CAN ONLY REPEAT THAT MUSIC IS AN INTERNATIONAL LANGUAGE, BRINGING THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE TOGETHER, THAT'S WHAT I LOVE HERE.
I do understand that sometimes, obvious if you know that there are a few generations here, there can be a problem, but is it really worth to attack someone.
I have to thank my profession, because I learned so much when still working. I hope that when
you read this, to have reactions and opinions about this topic.
What I do hope is that this topic is not offending somebody, because that is the essence of this topic.

LOVE YOU ALL

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

2 (edited by hopeful 2007-07-25 15:37:40)

Re: communication breakdowns

I agree with you doc, i certainly don't intend to purposely offend anyone. I think there's different sense of humours in different countries. What maybe someone says as a joke is obviously not taken as one by another person.It is difficult with so many different countries and generations taking part. some people are also very outrightly spoken which is just their personality.

Im a bit worried about welcome2myhead, we haven't heard from him since his last post.

Re: communication breakdowns

Well, me too, he had some hard critics, I was maybe part of it, but reading my posts again, I don't think I offended him, at least I hope so, because I always told him that he was welcome.
Some people are sensitive, that's for sure, no names, but I wrote genes, first I thought that it was wrong, but it isn't, and it was interpreted as jeans. Ah, it is just a wrong interpretation, that's why I wrote this topic, and I do hope to have a lot of responses. It is not a topic about "excuse me" or "sorry", just to let the people know that we will never write, or give wrong, or aggresive answers, with a mentality that everyone is different (look just to people having the opportunity to go to college, and others not), and it ain't about being smart, or hey guys, I jam every weekend with Eric Clapton.
It's all about respect, peace, helping each other. Isn't that the purpose of music.?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]