1 (edited by mekidsmom 2017-01-07 18:38:24)

Topic: January 2017 FSOTM - Chordie Members Original Songs!

Happy NEW YEAR!

To usher in 2017 - We're going to FEATURE two Choride Member Original Songs!

Song 1:  Authored by our very own Grah1:  Cloak of invisibility
While it's been recorded by the original writer, we'd all like to hear your take on it!  Go ahead and change it up how you see fit, cover it as you'd like, post a link where we can listen to a recording in this thread!
Here's the chords and original thread:  http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=29769
As Graham didn't have his song in Chordpro, I simply took the liberty (lazy way out) of putting it into a PDF document - you can view, download, print the song here:  https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v& … YxN2YxNjRi

Song 2:  Authored by our very own beamer, The Metalizer: Mother (A punks ballad)
It looks like a few people have already tried this one, but you know... maybe a few more would like to give it a try!  Rock it out, or pick it out - cover THIS!
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24591
HERE is a printable chopro version of the song, you can even add to your songbook and edit if needed (printing seems to work better in Google Chrome than Mozilla Firefox):  http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/sites … her.chopro

Ready?  Set?  GO!
edit to add PDF and chopro link

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: January 2017 FSOTM - Chordie Members Original Songs!

ant wait  to  hear  what  you all  do  with  this  song . Its  great  to  here  a  different  take  .Go  for  it   any  way  you  want .

Gidday all
Good to see we got chordie originals this mth.
I`ll have a crack at both next time i`m in the zone.
come on Beamer lets hear your version?

The King Of Audio Torture

Thank you for the pick! Its really up to you guys to do your own interpretation.  feel free to change arrangement or cording to however it works for you!  cant wait to hear some more efforts of it!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I will post my 2 versions as well

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

Grahams song - I say in the recording that after posting I'll listen to other people's versions, but I guess no one has done a version yet.  I had a hard time catching the rhythm of these lyrics and changed some to make it fit how I could deliver.  I hope that's OK. If not, I do apologize.

https://soundcloud.com/user-35218982/cl … ham-cfsotm

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

7 (edited by Zurf 2017-01-11 02:14:19)

And here is my take on Mother (A Punks Ballad).

I've heard Scott do this one, but I still had a very difficult time with the changing meter and the changing rhyme scheme.  It's a bit Dylanny in that regard with a dark topic, rich inner life, and variable song elements.

https://soundcloud.com/user-35218982/mo … rdie-fsotm

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Y'all don't need to be nice to me.  I know both renditions stink, but I feel glad to have been the first to present versions.  If I can't be good, I may as well be fast.

9 (edited by beamer 2017-01-11 07:37:13)

Zurf wrote:

Y'all don't need to be nice to me.  I know both renditions stink, but I feel glad to have been the first to present versions.  If I can't be good, I may as well be fast.

Awww,  its all good!  Ill listen when I get home.

Just got home and as I left the message in SC you did a great rendition!  To me this is a great compliment!

OK here is my offering for Graham's 'The Cloak of Invisibility': https://soundcloud.com/roger-guppy/the- … nvisibilty

Now I can go and listen to Graham's to see how wrong I have got it and to the other recordings too. big_smile

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I listened to these, and commented over where they're located.  Very well done, guys.  I like that both of these songs - because they are originals here and haven't been covered millions of times or heavily recorded - are so versatile.  They are still so easily open to various interpretations, and at the end of the day, I believe THAT is what this section of the forums is supposed to be about.  Sharing your own version of a song, not just covering it like everyone else already has.  A good smile for my morning.  Thank you!

I played Graham's song on Skype for the guys.  I'll have to try to record it yet.  Maybe I can find a little quiet time here in the next day or so.  wink  Everyone seemed to really like it a lot (and it IS a darn good song)!  Scott's song is messing with me, but I will somehow manage to get that one out too.  Anyone else trying these?  Hold me to it guys, I haven't recorded anything in what feels like FOREVER.

I am still hoping to get a recording of Scott's song done but I injured my right thumb and have been unable to play properly but it is about mended now so fingers crossed.

Roger

OK just in time I have recorded Scott's song.

https://soundcloud.com/roger-guppy/moth … nks-ballad

Roger

Edit to add: Drums and bass courtesy of Band in a Box; Nashville tuned and 12er guitars and the vocals are mine. smile

Roger Guppy wrote:

OK just in time I have recorded Scott's song.

https://soundcloud.com/roger-guppy/moth … nks-ballad

Roger

Edit to add: Drums and bass courtesy of Band in a Box; Nashville tuned and 12er guitars and the vocals are mine. smile

OK did not see your note at the bottom of this and in SC I asked if that was band in a box lol.
I am floored at how well everyone else does this song!  It almost makes me hesitant  to do my version! but I will, its hard timing being home at midnight and not wanting to wake everyone.

mekidsmom wrote:

I played Graham's song on Skype for the guys.  I'll have to try to record it yet.  Maybe I can find a little quiet time here in the next day or so.  wink  Everyone seemed to really like it a lot (and it IS a darn good song)!  Scott's song is messing with me, but I will somehow manage to get that one out too.  Anyone else trying these?  Hold me to it guys, I haven't recorded anything in what feels like FOREVER.

AMY RECORD MY SONG! Everyone else does it so much better than me!  ( This is me holding you to it)

I just made two attempts to record my own song,,,, i had to stop, after hearing everyone else take it to places I cant seem to reach its very difficult to get done.  the bar is set and I must rise to meet it as best I can.  and trying to record while not playing and singing out just is not cutting it.  (This is when I wish I had a producer to get the best out of me and to know how to record the tracks!)

18 (edited by beamer 2017-02-07 21:02:12)

FINALLY GOT ONE I AM AMOST HAPPY WITH ON VOCALS, ONE GUITAR STUMBLE TOWARDS THE END. HOPE YOU ALL LIKE IT.
https://soundcloud.com/beamer326/mother-a-punks-ballad

and because roger wanted to hear it heavy,, smile  https://soundcloud.com/beamer326/mother … llad-heavy

Gidday Beamer
much prefer the acoustic version,it`s got everything going for it.

The King Of Audio Torture

easybeat wrote:

Gidday Beamer
much prefer the acoustic version,it`s got everything going for it.

Thanks, though I know the heavy one can be better, I tried to do it to a drum loop at 110 BPM but kept getting lost either vocally or rhythmically. and said  to heck with it.  I do better with a live drummer who can judge my pace and then we lock in and i then can listen to him.

That acoustic was done just sitting at the desk and phone right in front of me

I listened during lunch at work.  With the acoustic versions (my own included), it seems like it's really hard to keep things moving steadily while including the lyrics for both the pipe and the paint. Your punk, electric version overcomes that, I think, and so in my opinion is a better treatment of the song.  Keep up the good work.

22 (edited by beamer 2017-02-09 04:09:31)

Ok. I just gotta be forthright, cause no one has said anything about it,  Did anyone feel my heart beat and flatline effect added a twist to the perception of the song? Because at first you think your hearing about a survivor then we learn she lost the battle.

beamer wrote:

Ok. I just gotta be forthright, cause no one has said anything about it,  Did anyone feel my heart beat and flatline effect added a twist to the perception of the song? Because at first you think your hearing about a survivor then we learn she lost the battle.

No. I didn't pick up on that.

Zurf wrote:
beamer wrote:

Well,  ------------!  I spent a lot of time finding the soundbites and clipping them down, hoping to add a twist to the song.   LOL Well ok since no one seems to have noticed,  I guess it was not called for, or no one listens that far.

beamer wrote:
Zurf wrote:
beamer wrote:

Well,  ------------!  I spent a lot of time finding the soundbites and clipping them down, hoping to add a twist to the song.   LOL Well ok since no one seems to have noticed,  I guess it was not called for, or no one listens that far.

That's the way it goes. The extra little bits are always the most time consuming and difficult.