Topic: Badge Swapping

I had the briliant idea after 11 yrs , to debadge my old Berhinger amp, and RE-Badge it with the original tank badges from my 2005 Triumph.  I put retro badges on it and have had these sitting around ever since.  I think it looks pretty good!  What do you guys think? I also spent some time making the 2 channels very different. channel 1 (primary as the clean channel) is British amp (IE Marshall or Laney ) with clean tone mode and a US  type voicing on the speaker  channel 2 (Hi gain mode) is Califiornia (IE: Krank or Mesa/Boogie) with the HOT speaker mode and US speaker voicing.  Ill do a sound bite Sunday for ya smile

http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m321/beamer326/tramp.jpg

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Re: Badge Swapping

That looks great. Great way to recycle the old name plate

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

That looks great. Great way to recycle the old name plate

Thanks!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

Looks cool.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

5 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-03-12 21:19:49)

Love it!

I plan to build a separate head & speaker cabinet for my Peavey VK212 when my woodshop is warm enough to work in, because as a combo amp it's too dang heavy to lug around. I think I'll try to score a couple of TF logos like my avatar (it's the "Transfomers" logo from the movies) and re-badge my new creation with them.

Thanks for the inspiration, Beamer!

TF
If you have a wood shop, make them out of wood I bet you have a router, and then coat them in chrome paint and highlight the routs with blue or red. smile
or (but its small)  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/auto-ca … .39.z18eGg

Really go all out and make the knobs out of these https://www.pinterest.com/pin/140526450847160598/

Im going to find a Union Jack bandanna to put across the black grill cloth I think.  but if it looks cheesy its coming off.

7 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-03-16 00:12:39)

What an awesome color scheme, Beamer ... thanks!

But I'm an old fart, so I plan to do something more subdued. I'm no "Optimus" as a guitar player, and I'm way past my "Prime". lol

1) The cabs will be made out of 3/4" maple plywood, and I'll use my router & jig to dovetail the joints for strength. The head will be 10"H x 26.5"W x 12" D. The speaker cab will be 32"H x 26.5"W x 12"D. The width is determined by the existing size of my Peavey, so that the hardware will slide in and fit properly, without undue fuss (as Malcolm Reynolds would say).

2) The wood will be stained with a charcoal grey stain, so the grain will be seen clearly. After that, about 4 - 5 coats of Varathane's "Diamond Coat" water-based semi-gloss finish. I built an all-oak stairway system in our split entry home almost 10 years ago, and used this stuff on it. The treads show very little sign of wear yet ... awesome product!

3) The cabs will have all matte black hardware (handles, corners, etc.) and matte black grille cloth, to match the existing face on the Peavey which I'll re-use. The back will be solid, but I plan to add 2 angled ports on each side for sound distribution ... something like BOSE does with their sound systems. The guts are a 100-watt all-tube system, with the 2 x 12" speakers I put in it last year.

If I can get someone do the "TF" plates in a smokey chrome color, that would be my first choice, but a brushed aluminum or steel will also do fine. They have to be fairly good sized plates though ... at least 3" x 3" or more. My workshop has no heat, so it'll be at least 8 weeks before it's warm enough to start this. Only in Canada, eh?

"without undue fuss (as Malcolm Reynolds would say)." LOLOLOL heck yes fellow Brown-coat!
As far as heat in your shop, have you concidered one of these?   https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F27486 … ddy+heater

As I have discovered, 2 pounds of gas on HIGH will last about 4 or 5 hours, on low to med, about 16 ish +/-  I am also using it ni a bigger space (my basement) so it should be ideal for a workshop.   I bought the 12" hose for a 20 pound canister, need to drill the hole in my wall for the hose since you should not have the canister in the house.  The fan is nice but its not really very much force.

9 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-03-16 20:11:57)

Love the gas heater idea!

My version is to fire up the propane BBQ while working in the shed, and just be careful with sawdust, what kinds of containers are left open, etc. No need for anything goes boom (as Jayne would say). big_smile However, it's only a short-term solution, so wouldn't work for round-the-clock needs.

My favorite glue for this type if thing is "Old Brown Glue" by Antique Refinishers Inc. It's a hide glue which takes a long time to set up (24 hours minimum at room temp), but makes a real solid bond. It also won't interfere with finishes when little bits of it squeeze out while the project is clamped. Most wood glues (Elmer's, LePages, etc.) will glaze the surface they touch, and no amount of sanding will get rid of the carrier agent. This really shows up when staining, and just makes a mess. It's quicker, but the problems it produces are permanent ... okay for out-of-sight or solid paint finishes. Same thing happens with urethanes like Gorilla Glue.

beamer wrote:

"without undue fuss (as Malcolm Reynolds would say)." LOLOLOL heck yes fellow Brown-coat!
As far as heat in your shop, have you concidered one of these?   https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F27486 … ddy+heater

As I have discovered, 2 pounds of gas on HIGH will last about 4 or 5 hours, on low to med, about 16 ish +/-  I am also using it ni a bigger space (my basement) so it should be ideal for a workshop.   I bought the 12" hose for a 20 pound canister, need to drill the hole in my wall for the hose since you should not have the canister in the house.  The fan is nice but its not really very much force.

Just a thought Beamer, those heaters are un-vented and all the combustion byproducts wind up in the environment with you.... mostly Carbon Dioxide and Water Vapor, and at the same time consumes something you need Oxygen !! You should allow something like 6 square inches of fresh air for each 1000BTU which is a lot like leaving a window open and then trying to heat up the space! If you are planning on "drilling" that hole, you should take a look at NFPA 58 & 59. the National Gas Codes which I will almost wager will require you to chain your bottle to the house outside (on a stable platform like concrete), penetrate the wall with "Black Iron" (not galvanized) pipe and have a manual shutoff between the "hard line" and the "flex".  Following the rules ensures that should there be a tragedy, your Insurance Company might not "bail on you" for spite.

But then again, my Installation and Fitter's License is "inactive" since I retired and the codes do get updated.....  check your local Library.  wink

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug_Smith wrote:
beamer wrote:

Just a thought Beamer, those heaters are un-vented and all the combustion byproducts wind up in the environment with you.... mostly Carbon Dioxide and Water Vapor, and at the same time consumes something you need Oxygen !! You should allow something like 6 square inches of fresh air for each 1000BTU which is a lot like leaving a window open and then trying to heat up the space! If you are planning on "drilling" that hole, you should take a look at NFPA 58 & 59. the National Gas Codes which I will almost wager will require you to chain your bottle to the house outside (on a stable platform like concrete), penetrate the wall with "Black Iron" (not galvanized) pipe and have a manual shutoff between the "hard line" and the "flex".  Following the rules ensures that should there be a tragedy, your Insurance Company might not "bail on you" for spite.

But then again, my Installation and Fitter's License is "inactive" since I retired and the codes do get updated.....  check your local Library.  wink

Doug, thanks for the warning. this is not a hard line.  the heater has a O2 depletion alarm, and the hole is just to run the hose through. as for fresh air, I am pretty sure there is enough of a draft in that basement to keep oxygen in there smile  We dont leave it on unattended.  its like the old gas heaters grandma used to have.   but Ill keep watch and Ill secure the bottle.