Topic: When the tables turn.

Also whilst on our break,
I took Cades book of music  along for us.  Monday evening I ran through my standards in the "RED" book and then sunday I wanted to learn some new stuff.  I started 3 songs. and each one I was being told,, too fast, not the right rhythm, there is an extra beat in there.  BY BOTH boys.

I first was getting annoyed and  defensive.  then I took a deep breath and opened my ears and my head to what they were saying.  and I asked them "Ok, Show me because I am not hearing the difference".  I cant beleive my wife didnt secretly film me and them.  but it was actually very fun and productive.  The two main songs we worked were In this river by Black Label society, simple 3 chorder but not a pattern Im used to. (I was also told i play every song the same way... which I thought I had worked hard to not do lately)  So they helped me on that.

Second was Through Glass by Stone Sour.  It was here I was adding a strum I didnt need to, but when I sang i messed it up. so ill be needing a singer for that one.
and then Snuff by Slipknot. its really beautiful song if no one knows it.here are 2 versions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioyNa3EdEVk
and all acoustic  with jim root https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FMsYQCzQdE

then i was trying Lightning Crashes but was having trouble with the changes in the right place.

It was fun and good bonding with teh kids so remember learn from your kids every day! LOL smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Re: When the tables turn.

I can relate so this beamer!

Last week I attempted a song of Tig`s that I have been learning and playing around with. Because I am not so great on the guitar, I asked one of my sons if he would record me on his proper sound equipment, hoping to add other music to cover up my bad guitar playing, to which he said yes.  All good and well the thought!  HOWEVER  trying to sing without playing and playing without singing so he could record me so that he could add drums and other instrumentals ......completely through my timing out!  I am so used to singing in time to either my ukulele or  guitar or cajon or whatever instrument I using.  After many attempts apparently sometimes I was coming in on the right beat, at other times, late, or very very late (he named all technical jargon about it - puffffft).  So he reluctantly resorted to plan B which was to record me whilst strumming the guitar .... hmmm my timing was still out to the drum beat!  So,  I have learnt that when I sing certain songs, I have invented my own unique timing that no one can follow, it doesn`t follow any rules of timing whatsoever!  Recording session ended with NO RECORDING!  Think I have been politely told! lol

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Too fast and all sounding the same?  Huh.  I've never heard those complaints from my kids...   (insert rolling eyes emoticon here) 

Listen to them. They know their songs.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Jan

I would love to hear your version of a song I wrote.... I don't care what the others say ! smile

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Thanks Tig ........ I will post it at some time soon, i just got a bit deflated after that experience ........ lol ......... i will have to resort back to just me and my bad guitar playing and my little hand held recorder.

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Jandle wrote:

I can relate so this beamer!

Last week I attempted a song of Tig`s that I have been learning and playing around with. Because I am not so great on the guitar, I asked one of my sons if he would record me on his proper sound equipment, hoping to add other music to cover up my bad guitar playing, to which he said yes.  All good and well the thought!  HOWEVER  trying to sing without playing and playing without singing so he could record me so that he could add drums and other instrumentals ......completely through my timing out!  I am so used to singing in time to either my ukulele or  guitar or cajon or whatever instrument I using.  After many attempts apparently sometimes I was coming in on the right beat, at other times, late, or very very late (he named all technical jargon about it - puffffft).  So he reluctantly resorted to plan B which was to record me whilst strumming the guitar .... hmmm my timing was still out to the drum beat!  So,  I have learnt that when I sing certain songs, I have invented my own unique timing that no one can follow, it doesn`t follow any rules of timing whatsoever!  Recording session ended with NO RECORDING!  Think I have been politely told! lol

If you try to put timing on John Lee Hooker or Muddy Waters or Lou Rawls, you're just going to wind up frustrated and it won't sound as good when you're done. You're in good company Jandle. Don't let it get you down.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude