1 (edited by TsarBomba 2017-04-29 23:33:58)

Topic: Reflections of My Life - The Marmalade

In 2014, Dean Ford, of the 1960s pop rock band The Marmalade, and former Badfinger guitarist Joe Tansin, released a wonderful, well produced, contemporary acoustic version of this great song on YouTube and dailymotion.com titled "Dean Ford - Reflections of My Life - Produced by Joe Tansin".
If you liked the original release, you owe it to yourself to give this re-release a listen. Dean's voice is superb and Joe's mastery and application of stringed instruments are a perfect complement. The video juxtaposes various clips from the original performance with Dean performing it 50 years later, which gives it a gripping and haunting quality that is truly powerful, especially if you are old enough to have been around when the original was released.
That said, in the video there are occasional glimpses of the lyrics written on a chalkboard in the studio he is recording in. That was a real bonus, because my hearing was bad back then, and even worse now (tinnitus), so determining lyrics over the volume of the music has always been difficult for me. That fact makes Chordie an absolutely invaluable asset.
My post is to note that there is a couple of minor discrepancies in the lyrics provided here (the rendition shown as Difficulty: hard) and those shown in the video. The line "Take me back, to my OWN home" is actually "...to my OLD home". That small difference really has an impact, especially in the retrospective context of the newer release.
This is not a criticism of Chordie or the work of the individual who provided the lyrics. I hope it will be accepted as a minor complement to a great site.
Again, the re-release is truly worth a listen. Thank you.