Topic: EUROPE versus AMERICA

I don't know if the same thing occurs in the USA.
But here in Europe, they are OBSESSED with the fact to become famous in the USA.
How many European groups tried already to be big there. They should limit themselves just here in Europe. Artists, very popular here, and selling a lot of songs, are only happy if they start to be popular in the USA.
I follow the idea that the music market is more than big enough here.
- Belgium: 10,274,595
- Netherlands: 16,491,461
- the UK: 59,778,002
- Germany: 83,251,851
- Italy: 59,715,625
- France: 60,765,983
- Spain: 45,061,274
- Scandinavia (Norway, Denmark and Sweden) : about 20.000.000
Vatican City: 900, probably almost bishops and priests/nuns is not very important.
If you start to add countries like Poland, Russia... you will have 200.000.000 people more.
So my conclusion and advise is : being a band, or a solo artist: the market here is 3 times bigger than the USA.
I do agree that the diversity and countries have a different musical taste. In France they will first go for the option to cover a song by a French artist, but this will affect your wallet too, in a positive sense. As an artist, with a little knowledge of the different countries, you have to succeed.
I wrote a few songs, and it is for me, like in Canada, very easy to start performing in another language.

DIFFICULT TOPIC: YES

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: EUROPE versus AMERICA

Hi Phil,
Part of the reason could be our common language.  That would seem to make us a popular target.  Not taking into account our current immigration issues, most of our population speaks english so a band wouldn't have to worry about translation issues like a band trying to make it big in all the European countries that you mentioned.  Also, I think there was a time when our pop culture was thought to be kinda cool by other countries.  Whether it was 1950's americana complete with drive in movies, Elvis, blue jeans etc. or our counter culture movement in the sixties, rock music, either originating her or in the UK, seemed to fit well with the attitudes of young people here.  It's a shame we couldn't keep the good karma flowing, most of the world seems to hate us now.
Jim

very good reply.
I was sitting before reading your reply thinking...I dunno. but the common language thing i think will be a very big thing.
Also bands might want to make it big in the states because such a big place, same currency, and something to do with paying tax???? heaper in theU.S ? I dunno?? and touring, it would be easier to do a tour in one country that s massive than to do all the checking in at borders etc.

Some british bands could not get a name here in the UK so they moved to the states and done a few wee gigs here and there and then exploded and then the UK could not get enough of them. One band that I am talking about is def leopard. Probably a few more apart from them.

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

upyerkilt wrote:

very good reply.
I was sitting before reading your reply thinking...I dunno. but the common language thing i think will be a very big thing.
Also bands might want to make it big in the states because such a big place, same currency, and something to do with paying tax???? heaper in theU.S ? I dunno?? and touring, it would be easier to do a tour in one country that s massive than to do all the checking in at borders etc.

Some british bands could not get a name here in the UK so they moved to the states and done a few wee gigs here and there and then exploded and then the UK could not get enough of them. One band that I am talking about is def leopard. Probably a few more apart from them.

Hey Ken, (Did I get your name right?)
There is an American band in the UK going throught the same thing in reverse.  The band is Orson.  Have you ever heard of them?  They are supposed to be kinda big over there but they are fairly unknown over here.  I had never heard of them until I saw them on the "Concert for Diana."  They Seemed to be a pretty solid basic rock and roll band.
Jim