Topic: COUNTRY MUSIC

Hey yall.... just wonderin' what some of yalls fav. country songs to play
im new here so i'm just now starting to collect songs..

Some of the oens ive got so far are:

Delia's gone- Johnny Cash
  I aint got nuthin but time- Hank Sr.

SOme songs i like that i didnt get off here are-
Today I started loving you again-Merle Haggard
You never even called me by my name- David ALlen COe
T for Texas- Jimmie Rodgers (has anyone put that on here yet?)
BLues Man- hank williams jr,

All You Need is Love smile

Re: COUNTRY MUSIC

I'm with you last_rebel ...

Anything by Johnny Cash, but favorites are Folsom Prison Blues, San Quentin, Ring of Fire (that's actually a June Carter song I believe)

Dwight Yoakam, Guitars, Cadillacs,  It Won't Hurt, South of Cincinnati, Bury Me

Lyle Lovett, Cowboy Man, If I had a Boat, Farther Down the Line

Hank Williams, Honky Tonk Man

Flying Burrito Brothers, Sin City, Do You Know How it Feels?

and many more ...

cheers

David

There's a song by Johnny Cash called ' The long black veil" that is lovely. Oh, and "Cocaine Blues"

Sunday Morning Coming Down.

And anything else by JC.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Besides Johnny Cash, there was another quit famous country star, with the name Johnny Paycheck.
At first I thought this was a BIG joke, but the guy sold quit a lot of records.
Isn't he a genius to use the name PAYCHECK & compete with CASH?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I love Country music.  I grew up listening to Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Crystal Gayle, Statler Brothers (who my Gram used to baby sit in the summers and my mom used to run around in the woods with), Chet Atkins, Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline (has there ever been anyone better?).  The list could go on and on.

Some of the songs I'm trying (can't say I play them yet)
Johnny Cash - Big River, Wreck of the Old 97, A Boy Named Sue, Cry Cry Cry, Unchained
Willie Nelson - My Heroes have Always Been Cowboys, Bloody Mary Morning,  and
Jimmy Buffett - Bama Breeze, Tin Cup Chalice,
Steve Goodman - City of New Orleans
Loudoun Wainwright III - Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road
Emmylou Harris - Defying Gravity
Mary Chapin Carpenter - Down at the Twist and Shout
Randy Travis - Forever and Ever Amen
Billy Jo Shaver - Georgia on a Fast Train

There's more.  You get the idea.  I've been particularly enjoying the Willie Nelson and Jimmy Buffett songs, though even Jimmy Buffett isn't sure whether his music is Country.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I like playing - Pancho and lefty

When i stop dreaming

Sleepless nights , all by emmylou harris

The dark end of the street -Flying burrito brothers

We'll sweep out the ashes and Love hurts

Unwed fathers -- John Prine  loads more but these are among my favourites

Country is my all time fave.

Travis Tritt - Can I trust you with my heart, T.R.O.U.B.L.E
Garth Brooks - The dance, AHBA, Ain't Going Down
Brooks & Dunn - Only In America, Neon Moon , My Maria
Alan Jackson, George Strait, Rodney Crowell, Vince Gill, Dixie Chicks, ShEDaisy, Sara Evans, Gary Allan, Alabama, Confederate Railroad , Chris Ledoux
where do we stop.

Gutar Player, Singer, Entertainer  - At least in my own mind.

awesome guys smile
I love anything by johnny cash too... and willie nelson but he tends to use a lot of complicated chord progressions...

last_rebel wrote:

awesome guys smile
I love anything by johnny cash too... and willie nelson but he tends to use a lot of complicated chord progressions...

By that I think you mean "He plays a lot of songs in F."  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

hey I can play in F!
but anything suspended or diminished or even alot of times minored is 'complicated' to me.... but Jesus give me a break I tauhgt myself how to play and im only 16....

Cash is definatly country's greatest. hey, how many here consider rockibilly and country the same thing?

the answer is blowin' in the wind

13 (edited by Zurf 2007-08-05 17:14:37)

manofgod wrote:

Cash is definatly country's greatest. hey, how many here consider rockibilly and country the same thing?

Me. 

Now my mama, she considered anything she liked to be Country.  Neil Young, America, CCR - all of them country in Mama's perspective. 

Forgot to mention, one time when Johnny Cash was asked if he could change his sound what would he like to do?  He said, "If any of us could sound any way we liked, we'd all sound like George Jones."   While I consider Johnny Cash to be a one-of-a-kind legend, singling someone out as the greatest is surely a difficult matter.  Besides, it's Willie. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I don't think you could actually narrow it down to one person, but the list would be something like

Hank Williams
Johnny Cash
Willie Nelson
and probly George Jones and merle haggard

15 (edited by Hans von Thaler 2007-08-26 08:57:49)

Dan Seal is a guy you should check out,but having said that there so many great country singers to listen to.

16 (edited by badeye 2007-08-26 12:08:16)

Can't forget Weylon Jennings,or Don Williams,Buck Owens,Jim Reeves,Conway Twitty,. There is a book out there called "The Streets of Babalon" about the country music industry in the early 1970's. A very good read .

Have a good day...Badeye.

one caper after another

badeye wrote:

Can't forget Weylon Jennings,or Don Williams,Buck Owens,Jim Reeves,Conway Twitty,. There is a book out there called "The Streets of Babalon" about the country music industry in the early 1970's. A very good read .

Have a good day...Badeye.

I didn't put Waylon on the list.... woops! Trust me I aint forgot him I could have swore I wrote that too..
Anyway sounds like a good book.

"Well I was born in Nashville but i left there long ago,
  Cuz they built music city by sacrificing soul."- (Shooter Jennings)

When my Dad and I had that "whatta you gonna do with your life" chat I told him I had to pursue my burning desire to be a musician. He said,"that's fine as long as you play both kinds of music." I said thanks for understanding and being supporti..,I replied"whatta you mean BOTH kinds of music?"He gives me that all knowing father look and says," yeah both kinds, country and western."

Some of my country favs, past and present are;
Hank Williams,Sr &Jr, George"Ole Possum"Jones, Willie"Wildweed"Nelson,Johnny"The Man in Black"Cash, Dr.Ralph Stanley, Larry Cordle, Brad Paisley, Vince Gill, Blake Shelton, Alison Krauss and Union Station, John Prine, John Hiatt, Jerry Reed, Jerry Jeff Walker, Waylon and Merle, Tammy Wynette, and many, many more. Shoot fire, I could go on all day long.

But my favorite country act of all time are those funny lookin' guys on Hee-Haw that made real fast noises out of their mouths while slapping their thighs, clappin' their hands, and stompin' day feets. They freakin' rule!!!Ya dig?

Give everything but up.

I love anything from John Prine altough I would class him more of a country folk singer rather than Country.
I like to do
A boy named sue....cash
hmmmm, I dont know, I am sure I do quite a few but I am still unsure exactly what seperates american folk and country folk or country music.

I see the likes of dolly parton and garth brookes as country,
but I see Johnny cash, although famous for being a country singer, I see him as a country folk singer. Big Kris..... folk, John Prine .....Folk woodie guthrie....fol. yet people see these artits as country.
Country msuc to me is what you would do certain dances to the music like the slosh and alley cat thing? etc.

well, thats my thoughts on country/ country and wetern/country folk/american folk/folk/msuic.

so, still confused

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

well you can frog to bluegrass, but there are different styles of country music, one of which is folk by the way...

theres honky tonk- hank williams web pierce, etc.

country pop- kenny rogers, ronnie milsap etc.

western swing- bob wills, asleep at the wheel...

outlaw country- waylon jennings, willie nelson, (some consider Johnny Cash as outlaw country even though his career was at its strongest before the movement), tompall glaser, and sometimes they put Hank Jr. and Merle Haggard on the list, and most recently Shooter Jennings

Cowboy Country- George Straight, Clint black, Chris Ledoux etc.

Traditional Country- Patsy CLine, Alan Jackson, etc. etc.

Classic COuntry (whihc is basically anything from the 40's-80's that wasn't really outlaw country)- Johnny Paycheck, Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Dolly PArton, Patsy CLine, Faron YOung, Ernest Tubb(he actually fit in with 'Hank Sr. and others)

Anyway the list goes on and on...

ahhh
thanks rebel,
that makes things a bit clearer now to me on the definition on country music.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

selso wrote:

townes van zandt is one of the best.  george jones. ernest tubb dwight youkam and least we forget chet atkins?  the man played two songs on his guitar at once!!!

nobody wants to play with me

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

I put together a Country Book here on Chordie. I use it when that urge to play Country hits me. Its called Feelin Country. It contains soome of my favorite Country songs

what a long strange trip it's been

upyerkilt wrote:

ahhh
thanks rebel,
that makes things a bit clearer now to me on the definition on country music.

Ken

if i had time to do a WHOLE lot of typing i could give you the basic history/scope on the whole thing lol.... but you might be better off checking on country music at Wikipedia, its got a good page or two on it.

selso wrote:
selso wrote:

townes van zandt is one of the best.  george jones. ernest tubb dwight youkam and least we forget chet atkins?  the man played two songs on his guitar at once!!!

nobody wants to play with me

Hey dude srry if u felt left out.... lets see, Ernest Tubb is the man dude, if i had to pick a fav. from that era and there were no Hank Sr. it's probly be him. And the possum is (as Hank Jr. affectionately referred to him,) the number one country man smile
Chet Atkins, even though i don't listen to him all that often, deserves respect from any country music guitarists (as dose Waylon and WIllie...)