1 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-07-15 01:50:13)

Topic: Why Do We Write Poems Or Songs.

I don't know what drives  me to write poetry or write my own songs. I cant really say I write songs because most of it I do by feel. The obvious reason is I enjoy doing it. With the enjoyment I find the frustration of listening to my old recordings and thinking man that is bad what was I thinking.  When I look back on some of my old artwork it is a differant feeling of happy nostalgia and I can enjoy that side of my creativity. Even though I always feel I could have done my old artworks better. I think I express myself through  poetry and compose song  because its a bit of my internal theatre  that hopefully will live on longer than me. I know  sometimes its a perfect way to to tell someone how you feel about them.  When I  do occasionally go back through my old songs and poems they help trigger memories of what I was feeling when I wrote them. Though to be real once I pass away my songs and poems will most probably just fade away. Still there is no harm in dreaming. Sometimes I think I do it as a way of getting things out of my system.  I was wondering what motivates others on Chordie to write poems and songs I would be interested to read your thoughts. Here is a short little clip attached  which I  quiet often look at on youtube about  poetry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS1esgRV4Rc

Re: Why Do We Write Poems Or Songs.

Peatle, it's about time someone asked this question. Not many of the great composers actually enjoyed much success during their lifetime or artists come to that. Then you have Lennon who's music and art will live forever. And there are so many other artistes since the 50s that will live on through their music or art, you my friend will be one I am sure.
As for what inspires me to write? That's a tough one. Listening to other people's music or words. observing life around me. What I see on the news. Add to that the fact that only playing what others have written so many times great as it may be....grates!

I've written so many songs about the love I share with Ann that it's a little embarrassing. But hey ho, it's not me that writes the songs it's my pen.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

3 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-07-15 10:51:08)

I love that Phill It's not me that writes the songs its my pen. I supose all Chordians agree that,  it's not true that all the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.  I remember my Grandpah telling me the pen is mightier then the shovel. Maree tells me sometimes what comes out my pen is better then what comes out of my  mouth.
Love, romance and passion are great subjects to write and sing about.

The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. Frank Zappa

4 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-07-15 12:08:12)

What an amazing idea for a discussion thread ... hat's off to ya, mate!

"I think I express myself through poetry and compose song  because its a bit of my internal theatre that hopefully will live on longer than me."  - Peatle Jville, 2017

This is a gem of a quote. I'm now going nuts with ideas to write a poem called "Internal Theatre", because you've absolutely hit the nail on the head with this. My poetry is purely selfish self-expression, driven by some inner need to put thoughts on paper in a form that's more interesting than simple writing. Poetry allows a person to express thoughts in phrases and imagery, without being bound by the confines of correct grammar. It's also a form of mental exorcism, so that tormenting ideas can be dealt with in some fashion, instead of driving me bonkers. As someone who suffers with a couple of mental disorders, this is essential for simple well-being. Poetry and music are some of the best things in life, and whether or not someone else enjoys what I create is almost irrelevant ... no anti-social disrespect intended. I write poetry and make music because I need  to.

I hope this isn't too personal / uncomfortable.

Peatle 
I agree with TF - that's a monumental quote ya got there mate...

"I think I express myself through poetry and compose song  because its a bit of my internal theatre that hopefully will live on longer than me."  - Peatle Jville, 2017

I write as a release from my busy other life -  if you told a hundred of my friends that I write poetry or songs they'd all laugh at you and say "get the f*** out " - !
It's a pretty guarded secret - hence the TIGLJK  smile

For me  it's usually something that has floated into my mind  through a real life incident. Sometimes it's just a few words that pop in my head and I think it has potential  to  reach stir some emotions - I'll give it a go.  and like Phill, I write songs sometimes for the love of my life, except I rarely share them with her.

In fact last night a little line popped in my head and wrote a verse.  Got up early today and finished it- or at least got it close.   I'm posting it songwriting as soon as I'm done typing this smile

Great thread - I am sure there is going to be some superb perspectives on this one!

Well done, Peatle !!

Thanks so much....
Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

interesting as I never really thought about it my self until a few weeks ago.  I had made my first CD with the song Zelie that I wrote for my newest granddaughter, and gave the wife and daughter for mothers day. every one loved it including my first grand daughter who is four. now here is where the problem comes in, the wife tells me you need to write a song for your other grand kids. well that would mean three more songs. and that is where the why I write question comes in, I don't why or where they come from.if I sit down with a specific subject in mind to write a song you can forget it. now a certain line or phrase pops in my head and I can relate it to something bingo the song just kind of materializes. so I guess my answer to the question why I write is I don't  know.  a perfect example is I think is what seems to be the favorite of everyone when they ask me to play one of my songs. oil field trash. that first line "staring at the bottom the bottom of an empty glass "sat in my note book for a longtime. I always had visions of a song about drinking to much coming out of that line.but one night sitting at work looking through my note book I read the line and the second line just kind of popped in my head and the rest just kind of wrote itself. sure it came from experience but I did not sit down with the intention of writing a song about the oil field life. which gets back to where this started the wife does not understand why I just don't sit down and write three more songs for the other grand kids. i suppose if I could do that  I wouldn't be working in the oil field I might rich and famous song writer. ahh there is the answer I want to be rich and famous. there is probably a song in that somewhere. well now I am staring at the bottom of an empty glass so I will shut up now before I say something really stupid. as the others have said Peatle great conversation starter thanks for posting it

out of tune out of key and out of touch

7 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-07-16 08:40:20)

I love what you all are sharing on here. Mojo I think for me trying to write something because a person  wants me to do it never works. Poems and songs seemed to come to me when I am not trying to be creative. Many times it  happens  at inappropriate moments.  TIG poetry and songs are very personal and that why I have my alter ego Peatle Jville to put that side of me out there. My own mother who is 96 has never seen or heard most of my poems or songs unless I have done them under my real name. TF as a person who has experienced depression and anxiety attacks I connect completly  with what you have shared. Thank you for being so open. Many people who know me are aften shocked to find out that I have expeirenced what Winston Churchill described as the black dog because I am  outgoing and full of humour most of the time.
“All emotions, even those that are suppressed and unexpressed, have physical effects. Unexpressed emotions tend to stay in the body like small ticking time bombs—they are illnesses in incubation.”  Poetry and song is an excellent tool  sometimes to help purge negative feelings.. Mojo your Oil Feild Trash is a song I love because it comes from a real place it is not only an entertaining listen it tells me about a subject I knew nothing about. On my mother's side I am part Fijian and the way some of our history has been passed down is through story telling, poems and songs because nothing was writen down years ago. The reason why Fijian people feared the younger generations lossing their language is because somethings Fijian can only be properly expressed in the  Fijian language. TIG I was wondering do the the young people you teach learn somethings through poetry and songs???? My wife when she was in the United States learnt how the slaves and oppressed kept their spirits up through song as a way of surviving hardship. Her time in New Orleans is full of musical memories.  Here is a American lyric that comes to my mind which we sing at Christmas.
When I am a seeker,
I seek both night and day;
I seek the Lord to help me,
And He shows me the way:
Go, Tell It On The Mountain,
Over the hills and everywhere;
Go, Tell It On The Mountain
That Jesus Christ is born.

Great question, great answers. I think we all have something inside of us that needs to come out. A social statement, sorrow , joy, or a lasting meaningful memory. Most anything that impacts our lives and the need to tell the story. It may never be intended to be shared or maybe it does. If we were all given a subject to write about we would all have a different story or view on it. That is the mystery and the magic of the poem/song.
Someone who gave me a subject to write a song about. 4 years later she asked if I did anything with it. I said no, but then I started to work on it. In about 3-4 days it was complete. Nothing in 4 years would come to me about it. Then when it did come out it almost wrote it's self. The last 2 days was just rewording and cleaning it up. It didn't seem like a song but more of a poem. And a Poem it will stay. You can't rush the ideas or force them onto the page. They seem to come out when your mind is ready to put those thoughts in order.
I think so many good songs/poems have been overlooked by the mainstream because of publishers or recording companies. I 've seen so many good songs and poems put out here on Chordie. I wish there was an outlet for people here to be brought out to the mainstream. At least we all get to share in what our members put forth.
  I don't really know why I write. Maybe just to tell my story my way as I see it.

9 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-07-17 04:38:01)

Tyson7  I like your insights  about the mystery and magic of  poem/ song. Here in New Zealand is a poet who travels the country enteraining people with live prefpormances of his poems. He is what we call a living treasure. He used to travel with his dog Minstrel who was  a legend in his own right. When Minstrel died it was headline news around our country  not bad for a dog. Anyway for anyone that is interested I thought I would attach Sam  Hunt doing a  Ted talks. Looking forward to hearing more insights from other Chordians on why do we  write  poems or poetry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW7uouAZAWo

10 (edited by Phill Williams 2017-07-17 09:11:52)

A fine example of observing what is going on around you. Thanks for sharing that. I'm sure we could all learn a great deal from watching, listening to and reading his work. He also has personality and a rapport with his audience. Great stuff.

11 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-07-17 10:32:48)

Phill Glad you liked Sam.  I was wondering if there is a Chordian who  writes songs or poems with the intention of making people laugh?    I know up there in the United Kindom there is one funniest poets I know of Pam Ayers.. I will attach a video link of her reciting one of her poems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4oydSZTAns&t=21s

Pam Ayres has been around since the 70's (I think) with her quirky poems, she first came to light on the TV talent show Opportunity Knocks which made Hughy Green a lot of money!

I actually wrote a "funny" poem or two, one about a dog named rat and another one about neighbours (not the TV show...yuk!" I'm sure they're still on Chordie somewhere? I think I'll go look for them.

Thank you Phill  I enjoyed your two poems   http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic. … 91#p184691

Excellent thread. I think each of us has our own unique reason "why" we write. Here are some of the reasons why I write songs:

They say a "picture is worth a thousand words" but I also feel that a few well-written words can paint a picture.  What makes the written word special is that the "picture" we see in our minds when we hear the words is unique to each one of us.  The challenge of painting these pictures is what drives me to write songs. I have always had a fascination with words and language - combine that with growing up in the Appalachian foothills with its tradition of story telling and music and it just feels right (or should that be "just feels write") to make up/compose songs. The addition of music to the written word enhances the story being told.  Finding the best tempo, key and melody to support the lyrics (prosody) is a goal that I strive for but only achieve occasionally.  Its kind of like trying to solve a puzzle - and I enjoy working puzzles.

I also think each song has its own "why" I chose to write it.  I'll sometime read or hear a word or phrase that would make such a good hook that it just begs to have a song written. Other times I write songs to express feelings about various subjects.  I've also written songs as part of "projects"  such as a group of songs I wrote about the American Civil War or a series of songs I've written about my family - each generation getting its own song.

I also write songs to entertain my friends.  I'm a self - proclaimed "campfire picker" and enjoy sitting around a good fire with friends, playing music and swapping stories. Seeing their reactions to my songs is like watching them experience their first class V rapid when I've taken them in my raft on one of favorite whitewater runs or sharing a hot cup of morning coffee with them at a remote campsite and watching the sun come up. Every one has a different reaction (some positive/some negative) but I enjoy sharing the experience with them.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Ed
As a teacher of the Civil War in my classes, I often use time period music to reach the students

I would love to hear or at least see lyrics of some of your songs   If you don't want to post them- shoot me an email

Great perspective on songwriting as well

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

16 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-07-20 01:11:13)

Cheers TIG I will gather some of my words together for you sometime. My Dad died when I was twelve and his name was John.  One of my memories of him is when he came home he sometimes would start singing When Johnny  Comes Marching Home a song from American Civil War. I was with a friends grandson named Johnny and I told him about the Johnny Comes Marching Home song. He got a bit upset  at the song I thought it was my  bad singing. No it wasnt that,  he mistook  the gay lyrics to mean something else.

When Johnny comes marching home again,
Hurrah! Hurrah!
We'll give him a hearty welcome then
Hurrah! Hurrah!
The men will cheer and the boys will shout
The ladies they will all turn out
And we'll all feel gay when Johnny comes marching home.
The old church bell will peal with joy
Hurrah! Hurrah!
To welcome home our darling boy,
Hurrah! Hurrah!
The village lads and lassies say
With roses they will strew the way,
And we'll all feel gay when Johnny comes marching home.

Dirty Ed  I enjoyed your input here . One line in there of yours  I will hang onto is.
I also think each song has its own "why" I chose to write it. 
You would be excellent  company around a campfire. Campfire's  are great places to have fun while learning about  all sorts of things,
Thank you.
Here is an atttachment to  a song/ poem about some of my thoughts on poems and songwriting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZxTgupBT8U

TIGLJK wrote:

Ed
As a teacher of the Civil War in my classes, I often use time period music to reach the students

I would love to hear or at least see lyrics of some of your songs   If you don't want to post them- shoot me an email

Great perspective on songwriting as well

Jim

Jim, I have played songs and talked about the Civil War several times at a middle school at a nearby county and was surprised at how well the students responded.  I have been lax in recording the last 20 or so songs I've written (which includes  5 Civil War songs).  If you don't mind sending me your mailing address in a pm, I'll record the songs and send you a copy.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs