1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-09-06 00:00:37)

Topic: What Inspired your Chordie Nickname?

Our newest member (Oldbikes) inspired me to ask this question. There some interesting ones which I'm sure have a story behind them, and others just choose to use their real names ... which obviously have back stories also.

My Tenement Funster was a nickname given by a high school pal that I also roomed with at university. It is the title of a song by Queen on the "Sheer Heart Attack" album, and buddy thought the words described me to a tee, apart from the purple shoes. big_smile He started calling me "Funster" from then on, everyone else followed   ... and it just stuck.

Rick (a.k.a. TF)

Looking forward to the interesting backgrounds behind other Chordians names, i.e., what the heck is a Zurf? lol

Re: What Inspired your Chordie Nickname?

I am bald. i play guitar.

3 (edited by easybeat 2017-09-05 22:16:02)

When i do silly stuff, i thought i needed a silly name.
hence `The Coxless Four`
`rough as` well musically i am pretty dam rough.
kinda a warning,if you gonna listen to my stuff this is what to expect.

The King Of Audio Torture

Here in the UK I'm a member of a consumer group for real ale, and my thoughts towards ale is keep it real.

Thick as two short planks

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3150/2639537575_e1050995c2_b.jpg

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

The beginning of the Joey Bishop Show. "Joey !  Joey Joey Joey".    Plus my first name is Joey.  Joe,  Anything but Joseph.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

The Peatle part of my name is what some of my family call me. The Jville part is what people call Johnsonville the town I live in though nowdays it just a suburb of the city down the road.

I used to do some off road driving,  my favorite and best vehicle was a blue jeep cherokee. That old jeep did a lot of rock climbing in search of old forgotten cemetaries.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

9 (edited by unclejoesband 2017-09-06 03:26:08)

This requires a slightly longer explanation than some of you.

When I moved 100 miles away from home I didn't know anyone. Met a couple people from my apt complex and they invited me to a weekly Sunday afternoon volleyball game. There was a guy there that almost immediately started calling me Uncle Joe and others picked it up.

Fast forward 4 years. Met a guy who had this thing about calling his male friends "Dad" and female friends "Mom." One day he referred to me as dad and then thought about it for a few seconds. He said; "No, you're not a dad kinda person. You're more like an uncle, Uncle Joe." So now I had it from two completely different circles. It stuck and I'm known as Uncle Joe just about anywhere I go. I even introduce myself that way sometimes to new acquaintances. Folks seem to remember that.

Fast forward a couple more years. There was a small group of us that got together almost every weekend to make music. My wife at the time worked at an assisted living facility. One day she came home and asked if we would consider playing for the residents. A couple weeks later and there we were, 3 guys on guitar and two girls singing. We were getting close to the hour we had and one of the residents asked what we called ourselves. We all looked at each other with this blank look. Since we played mostly Grateful Dead I finally broke the silence and said Uncle Joe's Band, which is a play on words from the Dead's song Uncle Johns Band. I discovered online forums around '07 and started using UncleJoe as a screen name. When I found Chordie a few years ago UncleJoe was taken so I used Unclejoesband.

Obviously I use my given name but after checking on the internet I could only find 4 other people with the name Roger Guppy and no one with my my full handle of Roger Clive Guppy and I like to be different. So I use my real name wherever I can and this will hopefully stop me being confused with anyone else. lol

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

It all began before I was born I was to be called Vivian! So when the big day came my father and God mother "aunty Dolly" forgot the name and they wanted to call me Phillip anyway so....I prefer Phill as Phillip seems so formal.

I have other screen names like...iphillfine or misterbus

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

TIGLJK

When I was in college, I always jokingly  answered the phone in my dorm room by saying " The Incredibly Good Looking Jim Kenyon, how can I help ya ?"  A couple of my friends that were girls made me a shirt for Christmas with  TIGL-JK on it as a gift.   When I post stuff on the net, including Chordie, I use the acronym mainly because I do not want my students to find it - so hence I often use the alias.  smile

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

keepitreal wrote:

Here in the UK I'm a member of a consumer group for real ale, and my thoughts towards ale is keep it real.

Mine too!

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Short story:  My last name is Zurfluh.

Long story: I never had a nickname that wasn't meant to tease me in high school. Some folks extended my name to Zurglemenhofferdorfernoffer, which I hated and over which there were some fights - one of which left me with a permanent reminder with a deep crease from a scar at the top of my nose between my eyebrows. But, some of the kids who didn't want to rile me shortened it to Zurg. I didn't mind that, I guess, but didn't like it much either. 

When I got to college, it was 400 miles from my home town and my brother was the only other person who attended my high school who went there. The guys in the dorm started to call me "Z", but my brother was already known all around campus as "Z," so that didn't work very well. So they started to call me "D" instead (for my first name).

D worked for a good long time, until I got into a job where a young woman named Diane had the office next to mine. All the salesmen needed to deal with me, as I was the Operations Manager responsible for purchasing and deliveries and whatnot. They all wanted to deal with Diane, privately, and preferably without the encumbrances that clothing brings. Diane wanted none of that, but they all determined to show off in an effort to catch her eye. But they all called her "D" as well. So after they'd done showing off, they'd say something along the lines of "What do you think, D, ready to go for some drinks?"  To which I would respond, "No thank you. You're not my type." So after several weeks of this, they determined that I was no longer D but Big D.  Big D stuck for a long time and is the name I used when I could on forums and on-line. 

However, there were about three different little groups who instead of calling me D or Big D called me Zurf, except they all spelled it with a ph - Zurph. The most notable of those was a men's Bible study (the Destiny Dudes, as it was associated with Destiny Church) in which I participated, and was unlike any other group I had been in. These were hard men who lived hard lives full of hard work, and had all determined for themselves that they wanted to learn to be gentle and generous instead. Interestingly enough, one of the members had arrested two of the members in what they called their "previous lives". So, to be accepted by a group of men of that excellent nature felt like a tremendous honor to me. They also called me FBG (Freakin' Bible Guy) because my approach to studying Scripture was unlike theirs and they respected my scholastic abilities. Anyway, I like Zurph as well as Big D mostly because it puts me in mind of those honorable men.

When I joined this forum, Big D and Zurph were both taken (I was surprised by Zurph, frankly), so I went to Zurf.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I took mine from my favorite western (Not country) singer / songwriter Ian Tyson. I always liked the old cowboy music of the 30's & 40's.  A friend gave me a Ian Tyson tape in the late 1990's and I've been hooked on his music and other western artists performing today. He's inspired me to put out 6 CD's of western music and I'm working on number 7 , much of which is my own music.The music has allowed me work as a ranch cowboy and perform at lodges, trail rides and for the Western Music Association. The 7 is my birthday.
  Great question !

Tyson7 wrote:

I took mine from my favorite western (Not country) singer / songwriter Ian Tyson. I always liked the old cowboy music of the 30's & 40's.  A friend gave me a Ian Tyson tape in the late 1990's and I've been hooked on his music and other western artists performing today. He's inspired me to put out 6 CD's of western music and I'm working on number 7 , much of which is my own music.The music has allowed me work as a ranch cowboy and perform at lodges, trail rides and for the Western Music Association. The 7 is my birthday.
  Great question !

Are your recordings available for purchase?

My name comes from my nickname of Jan and part of my surname dle .......... hence Jandle ..... but is also very much a Kiwi or New Zealand thing to wear jandles on your feet in the summer (jandle = thongs in some countries)

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Oh Jan you crack me up. I have visions of you now wearing these on your feet.......... In the UK this is a thong;

Roger
https://df2iqnjv15ch4.cloudfront.net/spree/products/2502/large/MU-lacethong-black_1431967949.jpg?1431967949

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

19 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-09-09 05:42:17)

Just incase people dont know what Jandles are they are Flip Flops.  Here in NZ a name for a style of shoes that use to amuse me as a kid was Brothel Creepers. Brothel creepers (sometimes shortened to creepers) are a style of shoe which has thick crepe soles, often in combination with suede uppers. This style of footwear became fashionable in the years following World War II, seeing resurgences of popularity at various times ever since.

Zurf wrote:
Tyson7 wrote:

Great question !

Are your recordings available for purchase?

Yes ,They are available at my website.  joewalus.com

21 (edited by beamer 2017-09-07 21:47:20)

I think this is a repeat topic, However its a fun one, and so I shall reply:
Beamer  has much to do with the phrase that has become a urban legend as it was never spoken  on the TV series to which it gets referred, and is counted among my favorites,  and mix in a bunch of "Lifer" San Antonio Gypsy MC guys, One of which happens to be your father-in-law. ((FIN)

So Yes I am a fairly big Star Trek Geek and so on the weekend I went on a MC rally with my in-laws, I have my STNG "com" badge pin on my riding vest.  We all were pulled into a nice establishment to get refreshed.  As I was walking away from the burger counter, In the corner I see Dick (my FIN) AKA ("Mr. Happy" ) and his buddies laughing and pointing at me, so as I walked up to see what was so funny., I was hit with a bunch of guys saying "BEAM ME UP SCOTTY" due to my first name and the com badge.  As they say, you earn your road name, not pick it.  Thus, Beamer was born.  Then after a few years on CHORDIE  and a few Skype get together's, I did ask if I could have a subtitle due to my inability to stay acoustic and un-distorted.  The mods talked and granted me my METALIZER tag.  smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Lots of great stories here, some familiar ... but most new to me (anyway). I grew up in a family full of story-tellers and odd nicknames, and when we were kids (with a 2-channel, B&W TV) visitors and their stories were standard Saturday night entertainment. That's a part of the past that I miss.

Thanks, everyone ... keep 'em coming!

Roger. smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Lord, help me! I can't see that picture as anything other than what appears in my filthy mind! smile wink

Roger Guppy wrote:

Oh Jan you crack me up. I have visions of you now wearing these on your feet.......... In the UK this is a thong;

Roger
https://df2iqnjv15ch4.cloudfront.net/spree/products/2502/large/MU-lacethong-black_1431967949.jpg?1431967949

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

I have a bad eye....

Badeye                   cool

one caper after another