Topic: When do your lyric inspirations hit?

I bring this up due to i have been so busy at both my jobs (OK, one job, the other my passion for detailing) that I have not been very musically creative for a while.  As it happens, I was not even thinking of writing last night and I had a idea hit me and i spent about 30 min getting it started.   Verse, pre-chorus, chorus,  verse. and I ran out of steam. ( I sent it off to a few for help there).

My point being, there are many times the thought gets triggered by something else, and the last few times its because I have been in my biopic / music doc mood. and something I hear gets it all going.  last night it was Foo Fighters  (Back and Forth,  on Netflix) one of the songs off Wasting Light was on towards the end and I was humming it half asleep, getting ready to go to bed because I was up too late (wife is out of town lol) then the first lines came to me and I said them out loud and surprised myself.  By the time I got "WORD" up, I had almost forgotten what I had said.  Its been an old Idea waiting to be put out correctly. and it just flew out.  Now to finish one or 2 more verses, and hope my hands can bring out  the correct music in my head!

Not posting in poems. just going to wait for the song to come out.

So, When do you get most creative?

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Re: When do your lyric inspirations hit?

Gidday Beamer
at the most unexpected times.
Lately i`ve learned to block out ideas.
I had so many going round my head i found it distracting.
I didn`t see any point in writing them down.
so now i only bother occasionally.
looking forward to your end result.

The King Of Audio Torture

3 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-09-29 00:27:44)

I tend to get creative when I am tired and bored. People also can feel creative after a few drinks. According to what  I had to study about the brain when I use to work with drug addicts and alcholics  it has alot to do with our frontal cortex. Our frontal cortex is our major dopamine hub. Our creative response at night has nothing to do with the time of day, but everything to do with our energy cycle.
You get tired at night? Your frontal lobe is missing some vital energy signals, and therefore you’re going to end up being slightly more creative than regular.
Not surprisingly: the same creative response your brain has to getting tired is the exact same as when you drink alcohol.
Alcohol inhibits the frontal cortex, almost identically to how pure exhaustion does. If you want to reproduce the effect of exhaustion on your creativity all you need to do is have a few drinks.
Not too many, of course, because the more you drink the less other critical thinking functions have to keep going. If you are a drinker the trick is to drink just the right amount of alcohol. If your a  drinker or not a drinker, keep a paper and pen handy so when your  brain is tired and exhausted, and  you come up with a great idea you can write it down. Another way is to hit record it on your cell phone and save the idea that way. Some of my  best ideas come in the shower.Research shows you’re more likely to have a creative epiphany when you’re doing something monotonous, like fishing, exercising, or showering. Since these routines don’t require much thought, you flip to autopilot. This frees up your unconscious to work on something else. Your mind goes wandering, leaving your brain to quietly play a no-holds-barred game of free association.
This kind of daydreaming relaxes the prefrontal cortex—the brain’s command center for decisions, goals, and behavior. It also switches on the rest of your brain’s “default mode network” (DMN) clearing the pathways that connect different regions of your noggin. With your cortex loosened up and your DMN switched on, you can make new, creative connections that your conscious mind would have dismissed. So for me creativity comes when I am not trying to be creative. If I try to write a song or poem  it doesn't happen usually.  Good ideas hit usually at inapropriate times for me.

Well that was a great explanation of HOW it works and why, but when does this happen for you? LOL I guess my 4 16oz beers +my physical exhaustion = getting something done LOLOL

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Beamer after a few  beers if nothing happens I always sleep well.

I tend to wake up in the middle of the night with lyrics in my head and have to get up and write them down before I forget.

After a few beers, not stoned just a few. No distractions such as tv. Just me, my guitar and beer. Heaven.

Thick as two short planks

My best creations happen in the loo smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Apparently for me, when cleaning my carpet.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Beamer here is a poem I wrote  a while back about writing songs.
A SONG
People ask me, how do you write a song?
I don't write the song's they  write themselves.
If I try and write a song it won't work.
I can't go to a song  the song has to come to me.
Yeah you know  a song can have it's own  feet.
It doesn't need me, but I need the song.
It has to come to me.
I don't know when a song comes.
Usually it comes at inappropriate times.
When I am having a conversation.
And suddenly  this song will come to me.
And  I got  to sort of go home and write it down.
Pick up a guitar or  put it on  piano.
That's what happen's to me.
A  song will alway's come to me.
I will never go to a song.
If I try hard it won't work.
If I take it  easy and just relax.
That's when it come's out.
You got to  have  a clear head at time's to write a song.
Don't  want to over think it.
And you want to let it sort of  take it's  own course
Yes a good song has it's own  feet.
It doesn't need  you.
A song has a life of it's own.
Yeah a song is it's own beast,  it's own identity.
It has a life after your life.
If it's a good song.
Yeah  a good  song can travel further than youll  ever travel and be around lot longer than you.
Yeah a song writes'  itself.

Usually after a few hits of weed lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

For whatever reason, I just can't get my head around poetry as music. That's quite stupid, because pretty much every song is a poem. But when I'm hit by an idea to write a poem, it never develops with the idea of it ever becoming a song ... it's purely about the poetry itself. For me poetry and music are two different art forms, and I create them independently of each other. I create music and I create poetry, but haven't ever felt motivated to create a song ... and I can't really explain why.

99% of the songs I've written have started with the lyrics. Many were in response to something interesting I have read or something someone said which gave me an idea for a hook.  Other times my inspirations have been due to my experiences (songs about family, friends, farming, kayaking, camping, etc)  Many song ideas have come to mind while driving.  I turn off the radio and just enjoy watching my surroundings and soon lyrics and music ideas begin trickling into what few brain cells I have left.  I've driven from Ohio to Florida several times to visit family and have never turned on the radio - usually resulting in a couple songs per trip.  Once I come up with lyrics, the next step is come up with the time signature, key, tempo, etc that supports the "mood" of the song.  (Usually referred to a "prosody")

As a crossword puzzle fanatic, I've noticed that words that I can't think of in the morning usually will pop into my brain in the evening and vice-versa.  I've also noticed a difference in songs I've written in mornings or evenings. 

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Sounds like you're seeking out ways to find peace, DE. That's a good thought. I haven't had any form of peace for a long while.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I have the worst ever, permanent case of writer's block. I'm an awful songwriter, not because my ideas are poor but because I immediately begin criticizing myself as soon as the first notes come out of my head. So generally, inspiration never hits me because songwriting is such a stressful process.

But I'm working on it!

Peatle Jville wrote:

A SONG
People ask me, how do you write a song?
I don't write the song's they  write themselves.
If I try and write a song it won't work.
I can't go to a song  the song has to come to me.
Yeah you know  a song can have it's own  feet.
It doesn't need me, but I need the song.
It has to come to me.
I don't know when a song comes.
Usually it comes at inappropriate times.
When I am having a conversation.
And suddenly  this song will come to me.
And  I got  to sort of go home and write it down.
Pick up a guitar or  put it on  piano.
That's what happen's to me.
A  song will alway's come to me.
I will never go to a song.
If I try hard it won't work.
If I take it  easy and just relax.
That's when it come's out.
You got to  have  a clear head at time's to write a song.
Don't  want to over think it.
And you want to let it sort of  take it's  own course
Yes a good song has it's own  feet.
It doesn't need  you.
A song has a life of it's own.
Yeah a song is it's own beast,  it's own identity.
It has a life after your life.
If it's a good song.
Yeah  a good  song can travel further than youll  ever travel and be around lot longer than you.
Yeah a song writes'  itself.

You should make a song of this!!

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

Thank you Richard I tried to make it into a song but I couldn't make it flow. I will attach a song I wrote about getting inspiration to write poems and songs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZxTgupBT8U

When does inspiration hit....wow, that's a good one!

I sometimes dream a song...which I'll forget
Or on the toilet or in the shower...which I'll forget
Or in the car....ditto
Every now and then when I'm having a little strum a chord sequence or riff grabs my attention so after a bit of noodling a word or frase breaks ground and off we go.
Sometimes words come first, with or without a tune which doesn't matter as everything changes by the time it's finished!

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Zurf wrote:

Sounds like you're seeking out ways to find peace, DE. That's a good thought. I haven't had any form of peace for a long while.

I feel for ya bruther. Here's one of my favorite songs that puts things into perspective.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmhDJBjJR6k

I just listened to your link. He is a good singer and interesting song.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

That song is in my line-up.  I usually sing it when the Jesus Songs come around.  It's not specific to faith, but it fits my thinking for a source of peace.

Classical Guitar wrote:

I just listened to your link. He is a good singer and interesting song.

Yeah CG, Darrell Scott has a style and voice that always tugs at the heartstrings of my Appalachian roots.  My favorite song that he wrote is about southeast KY where my Dad's family was from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtSLMGc4VSA

DE