Topic: the gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum

In particular a question for all the "seniors" on the web, but maybe more important for the juniors.
- DO YOU RECOGNISE THIS SITUATION?
- IS IT STILL LIKE IN THE (GOOD OLD TIME)?

I remember me the end of the sixties very good, but there was a but: it was almost impossible to play a song, or worse an album, of our "idols", like BEATLES, STONES, even the BEE GEES. Within 30 SECONDS, mammy or daddy entered the room, asking if I didn't have to do better things, than listen to that ugly, dirty music. 1 Month later it was better, I had my own turn table. WHO remembers those strange items, it was a mini suitcase, you had to open it, the top served as an amp, and the bottom was this turn table, listening so much and skipping was manual, poor album and needle.
I have of course big, big favourite bands, but as always, taste is different.
My folks hated that music, even the softie song champions, the Bee Gees, but in this case I don't think that it was a question of taste. My mother, can really sing fantastic, but is a classic minded lady, with I think, more than 3000 CD's from every classical composer, like Mozart, Beethoven, and all those guys. My dad (+ 1974, at the age of 45!!!), he loved more folk music, and his all timer favourites were the DUBLINERS. I am convinced that my situation was identical to the situation of almost everyone older than 40 years. Now, I have to confess that my mother (77 years old) started to like some of our contemporary musicians, and yes I am guilty, I started to turn music from Dire Straits, but very well selected songs, like Romeo & Juliette and Why Worry. She will always remain like she used to be, but at least she stepped out of the "conservative" music fixation.
ARE WE DOING THE SAME WITH OUR CHILDREN? on 10 songs, my daughter will like 1, maybe 2 songs. R&B (still HATE this word), is her music. But she likes a lot of music, music that I like too.
I HAVE ONLY ONE CONCLUSION, and I WRITE IT IN LATIN:

DE GUSTIBUS ET COLORIBUS NON EST DISPUTANDUM = about taste and colours it is impossible to dispute. How many of yours have a similar experience? and I hope this topic can bring together the BEAUTIFUL international language of music, learning to appreciate our Parent's music, oyr own music, our Children's music. AND WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO COMPLETE THIS MISSION.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: the gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum

Well I was raised up around country music which was great because everybody in our family (the youngest being 12 or 13 and the oldest maybe 75) can all listen to the same music at the same time and know all the words lol

All You Need is Love smile

I love your little picture: the lone state, TEXAS. Been there, driving by car and following the Mexican Golf up to Houston. So I will probably knock at your door on a nice sunny day, because my favourite countries are SOUTH AFRICA ( you can drop me in Cape Town where you want, I am out of that city with the speed of light, driving straight to my destination: no GPS, no asking how to drive. The USA has a lot less secrets, I've been there 5 times, and I avoided the Highways.

Bringing me to US bands: the best acts I saw were in NASHVILLE: at noon, 2 musicians, he 85 years old, she 82 years, but Jesus what a performance, what a skilled couple. After 20:00, I went back, and there was a group playing, far better than most of groups I know, 1 electric guitar, one electro-acoustic, a contrabasss, a drum, and what a performance.
I was so happy (and completely drunk, without spending more than 5$, because my ex-girlfriend was so popular, she couldn't even speal English, except of yes and no, and everyone wanted to dance with her, I couldn't because of my condition, and they all paid Bourbon Coke for her, putting the glass where I was sitting. The owner, a Vietnam veteran, lost his arm there, paid me at least 4 Bourbon Cokes, telling me that the first person who would touch her, would be throwed out of the bar. I remember me that, because I didn't find a motel in the centre, I had to drive 8 miles to the motel. I think it was my lucky day, because I saw 4-5 police cars, hidden of course.
We Europeans, have an image of the USA like: I've been there 3 times: NEW YORK, MIAMI, LOS ANGELES (+Vegas). THIS IS NOT AMERICA, but crossing with a mustang convertible and avoiding Highways, the difference is day and night.
BUT to return to the topic: the bands I saw performing!!, we don't have that kind of culture.
Nashville, Memphis, and of course New Orleans, a SATURDAY.
I have the impression that, being there in 1992, a lot of jazz bars, that this phenomenon is over and replaced by only a few real super jazz bands, but more "allround" bands, sometimes performing in a fantastic "visual" way. Like 2 guitarists,playing together on 1 guitar, and more rock, Hendrix, Stones...

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

4 (edited by last_rebel 2007-08-11 17:50:20)

lol well im glad you enjoyed the U.S.... and yes BELIEVE me there's a big difference between L.A, N.Y, and the rest of America. Despite what you hear on T.V. there's still alot of America thats quiet towns and apple pie type stuff
Never been to Nashville but Im planning a trip to there after I graduate highschool next year.  I've always wanted to take the trip west down route 66 too.
One thing I noticed when I took a vacation up north last summer is that the northern states dont seem to have as music as we texans/lousianans do. Guess I expected it to be like this everywhere but there really is a lot of musical heritage in this area

... oh and i hate to correct people but its lone STAR state lol

All You Need is Love smile