Topic: Wearing something special for concerts?

Hello,

I was wondering if you ever wore something special for a concert?

Like Elvis suits, Silvester from Sly & The Family Stone used to have suits similare to Elvis, Jimy Hendrix also had a special look.

I did this in 3D, maybe one day we could print clothes tongue
PunBB bbcode test

[url]https://soundcloud.com/curtis-k-music[/url]

Re: Wearing something special for concerts?

What a great question! I don't go to as many concerts as I used to (maybe 2 / year now) but my primary focus is comfort. Good shoes if standing, comfy layered clothes for temperature changes, and a pocket or two to carry a water bottle and some snacks. Sounds more like preparing for a hike! lol

I have never dressed different for a concert. I have been to a Jimmy Buffett concert. People dress like pirates and all kinds of different characters. Plus the decorations on their cars.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

when i play a gig, depending if it's a club or pub i would wear a black shirt and trousers or jeans and tee shirt.
i'd never dress like the act i'm going to see, i'm a bit boring like that.

i used to love Leo Sayer in his clown days and i used to do a parody of him when i played in a band back in the 80's complete with make-up

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I guided a couple musicians on the Potomac River when they were doing shows at Nissan Pavilion. I was invited to the concert the second night as their guest. It was pretty funny, because it was a country concert and those guys were dressed better on the river than they were for the show. Off went the nice nylon multi-pocket quick dry pants and on went the torn blue jeans.  Off came the sun sheltering long sleeved shirts with collars and on went the graphic t's. And of course, the wide brimmed with dark undersides were gone and on went the damaged straw cowboy hats.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Several years ago a wise man named Wayne said you should wear a hat every time you pick up a guitar. I have heeded his advice ever since big_smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

topdown wrote:

Several years ago a wise man named Wayne said you should wear a hat every time you pick up a guitar. I have heeded his advice ever since big_smile

I believe he said that if you play guitar for others without wearing a hat then you go to Hell. I'm pretty familiar with the Bible, and I don't remember that in there anywhere, but it's usually best to play it safe on these things.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I usually wear a hat when playing for others so the reflection from the top of my head doesn't blind them. Also ear plugs or ear muffs are a good option for the audience to be wearing.

Friday I'm playing in the annual Foothill Folk Society concert at Ohio University  Chillicothe  campus.  The theme is "Campfire Songs and Stories" so we'll be on stage dressed as "campers" telling stories and singing songs around a fire, surrounded by tents, rafts, canoes, kayaks, paddles coolers, etc as stage props. I haven't decided what "special clothing'  I'll wear.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I like western (Cowboy) music. I went to a concert at a Christian College dressed in my cowboy duds. At the break I was talking to the band, The head of the college walked up to me and thanked me for the great show. He thought I was part of the band.  I told him I only wished I was. So I'd say If you got 'em , wear em.

Dirty Ed wrote:

I usually wear a hat when playing for others so the reflection from the top of my head doesn't blind them. Also ear plugs or ear muffs are a good option for the audience to be wearing.

Friday I'm playing in the annual Foothill Folk Society concert at Ohio University  Chillicothe  campus.  The theme is "Campfire Songs and Stories" so we'll be on stage dressed as "campers" telling stories and singing songs around a fire, surrounded by tents, rafts, canoes, kayaks, paddles coolers, etc as stage props. I haven't decided what "special clothing'  I'll wear.

DE

Well picking guitar and dressing the part in that sort of environment will be a stretch for you, oh Great Soiled One, but I have a feeling you'll be able to pull it off somehow.

Zurf wrote:
Dirty Ed wrote:

DE

Well picking guitar and dressing the part in that sort of environment will be a stretch for you, oh Great Soiled One, but I have a feeling you'll be able to pull it off somehow.

Reminds me of the story bout the bunny rabbit and the briar patch smile Have fun Ken!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Dirty Ed wrote:

DE

Glad to read that you're keeping up with the Foothill Folk Society work, DE ... I recall you telling us about it a couple years ago. Your stage garb decsription reminded of a hilarious Made-in-Canada comedy show ("The Red Green Show") which featured a bunch of guys doing idiotic stuff at a make-believe place called "Possum Lodge". In this pic of the stage set, note the gas can sitting on top of the wood stove ... might be a good stage prop for you:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/universe-of-smash-bros-lawl/images/c/c9/Possum_Lodge.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160502224518

My pals and I watched the Red Green Show almost every week.

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy"

However, due to my whitewater paddling addiction, I carried a roll of duct tape in my vehicles long before watching Red work miracles with it. A few Chordians have heard my story about being "duct tape drunk".

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Tyson7 wrote:

I like western (Cowboy) music. I went to a concert at a Christian College dressed in my cowboy duds. At the break I was talking to the band, The head of the college walked up to me and thanked me for the great show. He thought I was part of the band.  I told him I only wished I was. So I'd say If you got 'em , wear em.

Cool story.

Maybe if I was to do a gig given myu lack of talent, it would be a good safety precaution for me to wear a safety helmet and body armour to protect me from bad audience reactions

Peatle Jville wrote:

Maybe if I was to do a gig given myu lack of talent, it would be a good safety precaution for me to wear a safety helmet and body armour to protect me from bad audience reactions

LOL!!

Your lack of talent is only in your mind ... we all have varying degrees, and whilst you don't have the vocal cords of Taylor Swift, you're doing better than the person who never tries ...,

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

Neo , I agree with your last statement. We all have varying degrees of talent even the Pro's. I know I'll never be as good as my favorite artists but I've come along way from where I started. If you have the will, desire and you put some effort into playing you are a winner. The enjoyment is worth it. Every time I pick up the guitar I am amazed at the fact I can make music from it. I'll play with anyone who wants to sit down and pick no matter what there skill level is. Peatle your a winner in my book !

Tyson7 wrote:

Neo , I agree with your last statement. We all have varying degrees of talent even the Pro's. I know I'll never be as good as my favorite artists but I've come along way from where I started. If you have the will, desire and you put some effort into playing you are a winner. The enjoyment is worth it. Every time I pick up the guitar I am amazed at the fact I can make music from it. I'll play with anyone who wants to sit down and pick no matter what there skill level is. Peatle your a winner in my book !

... and I agree with your last statement!!

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

Peatle is always welcome at my campfire too.

Unfortunately for Peatle, that's not much of a distinction, because I haven't met anyone from Chordie in real life who didn't become an immediate friend. I still miss Astronomical (who I didn't meet in real life, but on Skype jams) and Chris and his wife BJ (I forget his screen name, and Billie Jo never had one). I get to see Detman every once in a while. He's into archery and doesn't live far from me, so we have gotten together at the 3D range from time to time.

20 (edited by topdown 2018-03-06 23:15:12)

Zurf I would  love to share a campfire with you and also all of you above and many others on Chordie.
I love the way all you good people on chordie approach the craftsmanship of music. Many of you pushing on with determination to be 'master of the bricks and mortar that make good songs. You all have something very special and it is an honour to know all you good folk.. Back to the subject of dressing up for a concert the main thing to wear  is your self respect. One of my favourite songs about ways of dressing is the Man In Black  by Johnny Cash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t51MHUENlAQ

Edited by topdown to remove copyrighted lyrics. I'm sure no harm was meant Peatle, but there are rules against this.

21 (edited by Peatle Jville 2018-03-06 23:25:33)

Sorry Topdown  I didn't mean to break the rules. Good man for putting my post right.
Thank you.
Peatle