1 (edited by jets60 2007-08-28 21:58:39)

Topic: Down To The Crawdad Hole

This was my last day of this crazy work schedule I’ve been working so I let the kid in me out and wrote this song I pulled back from my days when I was a boy in the little village of Reems Creek in the back woods of western North Carolina where I sure hope a crawdad or two still lives amongst all the new golf courses that have been popping up there lately. I hope you all like it.

Down To The Crawdad Hole By Jeff Gilpin

August 27th, 2007

Intro

[E7] [E7] [A] [D]

Verse 1

[E7]Summer days when I was just a boy

I [A]knew just where to [D]go

Where the [E7]creek got wide just down the road

That I [A]called the crawdad [D]hole

Verse 2

In [E7]those days I didn’t have a computer,

[A]IPod or cellular [D]phone

I would [E7]leave my house in the morning

And [A]I was sure to [D]roam

Chorus 1

Down to the crawdad [E7]hole

Where the [A]water ran cool and [D]slow

Yeah that’s [A]where I use to [D]go

Was right [A]down[B7] to the crawdad [E7]hole

Verse 3

At [E7]first I didn’t believe it

Or [A]know what it was a[D]bout

[E7]Then I got to see it

And it [A]kind of freaked me [D]out

Verse 4

So I [E7]made up this game

Where I’d [A]catch them just for [D]fun

Then I’d [E7]give them each a name

Back in those [A]days when I was [D]young

Chorus 2

Down at the crawdad [E7]hole

Where the [A]water ran cool and [D]slow

Down at the crawdad [E7]hole

Yeah that’s [A]where I use to [D]go

Was right [A]down[B7] to the crawdad [E7]hole

Bridge

[B7]Simple things for simple times

But [A]lordy it was [E7]fun

[B7]Now a day’s kids [A]barely leave the [E7]house

But[D] just one day

I wish I could take [A]all their toys away

[D]Kick them out of the house

And make them [B7]go...

Ending Chorus

Where the [A]water runs cool and [D]slow

Yeah [A]that’s where they all should [D]go

[A]Turn off their Ti[D]Vo

[A]Take away their remote con[D]trol

They’ll be [A]amazed and surprised when they [B7]go

Right down to the crawdad [A]hole[D] [E7]

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: Down To The Crawdad Hole

I like your song Jets. Reminds me of the fishing hole I used to catch trout in as a kid. I think I'll "Badeye" it again.Thanks.

Take Care...Badeye.

one caper after another

badeye, I was more or less able to put a song I wrote on the site. I hope you notice it and that you try to play it. I described how to "manage" the chords, but I don't know if this makes it easier to play. It is ment as a ballad, but you can speed it up.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Thanks Brad - Yeah, I had a little fun writing this one. A little faster song than what I usually come up with I think.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Lovely Jets,
You have a great way of evoking memories in me from childhood!
Thank you..

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

we used to go down to a sandpit with a stream running by we used to find these shrimp like things about half inch long i still dont know what they are but they kept us amused for hours...

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Ah to be back home in Seedtcik.... Up till the last couple of years i was livin' out in the woods (not really BACKWOODS backwoods, but it was down there a ways if u know what i mean). Used to go craw daddin' with my cousins down on 'the branch' as we called it. Had a swimmin' hole too.
One TIme we caught a craw dad and we were gonna see how big we could get it if we fed it. My cousin Paul names everything Pete so thats what we called him. Found out Craw dads really like bacon.... anyway we eventually had to let him go cuz our parents said he stunk up the house lol
This song makes me miss the good old days, and realize how much i haven't really adjusted to this city livin' yet. BEsides checking this site for music and stuff im still an 'american offline'

All You Need is Love smile

Hi Jeff,

This brings back memories of my childhood (well not exactly crawdads but sticklebacks, minnows, frogs and newts). Our fun cost nothing and we made our own amusement very different to what most kids experience today.

Good song, well done.

Thank you,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"