Topic: Different Styles of Strings and What They Do

I have had it recommended to me to use "coated" strings when I finally get a folk style steel string guitar.  I have seen bronze strings, heavy/medium/light gauge, and for my bass round wound vs. flat wound. 

Can anyone give me some insight as to what all these different strings so, or perhaps refer me to an on-line explanation?

Much appreciated.  Thanks.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Different Styles of Strings and What They Do

Sort of an open ended question...I would suggest to find out what the guitar company recommends and equips your guitar from the factor...Your guitar might be set up for a particular gauge set of strings and if you change that then might start getting a buzz or string rattle...also putting a heavy gauge set on a guitar designed for a light guage might put too much stress on your guitar. The string company websites will have a lot of information about their products and what sound to expect...some sound brighter, some bassier...if you have a magnetic type pickup then you might require a nickle or stainless steel...If you can give us the info on your particular guitar and the sound you are seeking then we'll all be glad to help and give opinions...hope this helps...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

3 (edited by Zurf 2007-08-28 17:51:07)

Yamaha folk guitar.  Six string steel string acoustic.  It sounds too bright with the factory strings and I'd like to warm up the tone and see if I can get a little more bass out of it. 

But I wasn't asking about what to do with my guitar, as I have several.  I was asking after the tendencies of different types of strings so that I can have a little information about how to experiment with my guitars without having to be completely trial and error. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

http://www.newstrings.co.uk/guitar_string_tips.html

Short answer.  Heavier strings will be louder, and allow you to set up the guitar's action a little tighter.

Stevie Ray Vaughn always advised to use the heaviest strings you could stand.    I'm a weenie.  I use 10s on my electrics, and 12s on my acoustics.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Thanks Jerome - perfect.  Looks like coated strings may add the warmth I'm looking for (taking the corrolary of what they say about brightness). 

- Zurf

The coated strings might be a bit warmer...also the nickle/stainless...phosphore bronze usually has a much brighter sound...I'd be a bit cautious about using heavy strings on a light guitar...unless you use a lower tuning...ie: Eb instead of E...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Coated Strings don' t start as bright but last a long time. Quality varies with brand and you get what you pay for.
80/20 Bronze is bright but short lived. Good if you're changing every day (literally)
Phosphor Bronze isa good compromise
I use GHS Signature Bronze LJ30 designed by Laurence Juber (awesome player) The core of the wound strings and plain strings are brass coated. IMO this prevents electrolysis and makes them last longer. They're also cryogenically treated and whether this does anything is a mystery to me. They sound good and last and last.
Changing gauges isn't an issue if you spend a little time learning to adjust the neck of your guitar. Don't do this with tension on the strings and  always be gentle and careful
The heavier the gauge the louder and generally the better the tone. Get advice before going to 13's or above though as your guitar may not be suited or fragileand obviously heavy strings are harder to play at least until you get used to them
You can prattle on for hours about strings but I won't
Cheers

Checked out the D'Addorio and GHS strings web sites.  They had some good information and it may be that silk and steel or silk and bronze may be what I'm looking for.  I'll start a new thread to ask about experiences with those particular types of strings.

Looks like coated strings are expensive and have at best a "love 'em or hate 'em" response. 

- Zurf

For what it's worth, I love the sound of coated strings but hate playing them...even the nanoweb's feel slick to me.  And I personally don't think they are worth the price--I see people keeping them on way beyond their life span because they had to sell a kidney to buy 'em.  I've been stuck on the DR's for a while now.

I used to set up guitars for a living and within reason you can put pretty much any guage of strings on to your guitar provided you set the neck bridge and nut up to suit the guage. For instance I use 15s on an acoustic for playing slide guitar that I use in a C tuning. For this of course you have to open the nut slots etc
The differing alloys phos bronze or 80/20 etc seem to suit different guitars.
My Lowden sounds best with phosphor bronze 12s. But my Taylor sounds dull wth phos bronze and works best with Elixir 11s. I think the different alloys produce different overtones. Maybe the oscillate in a different manner, ask a metalergist.