Topic: Please help with "2" chords and "Sus" chords.

Hi all. I first want to say what a great web site this is, and that I've learned many useful chords and songs as a result of visiting it. Much thanks to all involved.

Here's my question for you advanced chordmeisters: What are "2" chords (A2, D2, etc.), and why can't I seem to find the fingerings for them on many chord charts, books, websites, etc. If anyone could just simply post or email me the fingerings for the seven A thru G "two" chords, I'd be very appreciative. I'm playing in a church band, and apparently contempory Christian songwriters feel a need to use 2 chords a lot!

Also, same question about "Sus" chords. What are they, and how do I find fingerings for the basic "Sus" chords? I don't even know if "Sus" stands for sustained, suspended, or what?

Sorry for showing my ignorance, but I've had a hard time finding the fingerings for these chords, and this seemed like the proper forum to seek answers. Thanks in advance to any and all who respond.

J

Re: Please help with "2" chords and "Sus" chords.

Hi JimiMack and welcome to chordie!

Regarding the 'sus' chords: The 'sus' stands for 'suspended'.
The sus chords omit the 3rd from the chord and use another note instead.

For instance a regular G chord contains these notes: G, B, D (1, 3, 5) which is a major triad.
A Gsus2 contains these notes: G, A, D (1, 2, 5).
A Gsus4 contains these notes: G, C, D (1, 4, 5).
A Gsus contains these notes: G, D (1, 5).  These 1, 5 chords are also known as 'power chords'.

In each case the 'B' (or 3) is omitted (suspended) and another note takes it's place (or not, as in the power chords).

Regarding '2' chords, I suspect that what you are seeing is actually notation that actually means the 'sus2' chords.  Look on chordies 'Resource' page at the large chord chart and you can probably find what you need (along with alternative fingerings).

Don't feel ignorant regarding this stuff.  The terminology of music is very old and seemingly absurd to our ears.  It all means something, but some of the terms are not user-friendly and sometimes terminology gets garbled or mis-used.

Better to ask a question and learn than to suffer in silence.  Hope all this helps.  If you are unfamiliar with basic chord structure, now is the time to start learning.

Again, welcome to chordie and the forum.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

3 (edited by JimiMack 2007-09-06 05:13:54)

Re: Please help with "2" chords and "Sus" chords.

Thanks very much, James. I knew the answer wouldn't be that hard to understand, it just seemed very elusive. Apparently I've been playing Sus chords for years! (power chords)

I agree with your comments, also.

You rock.

Later.

P.S. In re: comma confusion--maybe try a Pythagoras Capo...?