Topic: Is it weird to miss your guitar

My wife and I escaped for the weekend alone last weekend to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary without our little kneebiters along.  I debated about whether to take along my guitar, but figured we'd be too busy being adults without children for me to play anyway.  I was right about that, we absolutely relished in being tourists and walking with full strides for several days and had a blast, totally exhausting ourselves by an early bedtime.  BUT when we got the kids picked up and home, the first thing I did after getting the kids to bed was sit down with my guitar.  I actually missed it.  Is that wierd.  When we were on our trip, I mentioned to my wife on the day we first woke up in our destination city that it was the first day since I started learning to play about a year ago that I hadn't played.  C'est la vie.  Seems wierd to be tied to a thing.  Not sure I like the idea, but I sure do like playing on a guitar.  We walked past a music shop and I almost went inside to get ten minutes of practice.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Is it weird to miss your guitar

I dont think so,Itake my acoustic with me any time I go somewhare overnight.I dont know what your wife would think about it though. Hope that helps.   dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I take my guitar everywhere i go, I have missed it in the past so I take it everywhere when staying away overnight. Even if I dont play it, I know it is there to be played.

If the guitar is too big to take then the uke is a great replacement to strum out a few songs

get yerself a uke, very easy to play and they can fit into a holdall

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Zurf,
Being married for twenty-years. I've only been married for three.
I don't know if this would be a good comparison, but your giutar is like your child.
There have been times when My wife and I have had to go on a trip that may last a day or it might last for several days, but I spend more time awake thinking/worring about our two and half year old (Racheal) that we couldn't take with us.

I guess it's kinda like having a small child in the house. You spend time nurturing it. You spend time taking care of it. You grow as it grows. You do the best you can. You spend time apart wondering and worring. While you're apart you want to hold your guitar. You could always go into a music store and play on something they've got, but it's not the same.

Has your wife gotten jealous of the guitar yet?
Did your wife ever get jealous of the time you spent with the kids and not her?
I've got a very jealous, insecure wife. I understand her reasons.

If you're not happy with what you have...
Then you'll never be happy with what you get...

funny you should mention this, i was just thinking the same thing. It's kinda funny how close people can become with inanimate objects.  I don't know about you guys, but my guitar is definately a part of me. In a sense i think we all become what we are passionate about, whether it be other people or objects like a guitar. I miss my guitar when i leave it!

::kori::

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

Well cool.  We haven't resolved yet whether it's wierd or not, but we have discerned that I've got company. 

:~)

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Hi
Just been away and the guitar came to.
If I'm able to take I will. My wife supports me in this all the years I've been playing.
I don't think I love the guitar as an object. Just love playing it.
Regards
Arkady

Not at all!!

I miss mine so much that I take it to work with me everyday almost.
And carrying around a 14 pound LP everywhere ain't easy, even in a soft case.
But you know what...it's worth it to be able to bust out a tune whenever I'm ready.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I'll shorlty be going away for 5 days.

Don't know what I'll do! My wife may kill me.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Zurf, my friend, CONGRATULATIONS, in these days it is getting more and more exceptional to be married 20 years. The most important thing in a relation is communication, friendship.
But about missing your guitar: I think that THIS IS THE REASON WHY GUITAR BRANDS MAKE THERE TRAVEL GUITARS: Martin backpacker, baby taylor...
It is weird how fast we get "addicted" to all kinds of stuff.
PC, TV, DVD, CELLULAR PHONES.......
_________________________________________________________________________________

GITAARDOCPHIL SAYS: IN THE YEAR 2525, YOU WILL STILL LOVE YOUR WIFE (five, wife)

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

is it weird to daydream about your guitar? sometimes when im at work i zone out and think of my guitar. i dont think its weird to miss your guitar, thats part of being a musician. sometimes i miss my guitar more then my kids(sometimes) if i didnt have my family or guitar id be nothing

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Guitardoc just reminded me even though it is not 9 ft away from me, I have a baby ozrak travel guitar that doesnt do much travelling! It is small enough but the uke is smaller,lol.
I bought my Ozrak to take with me when hill walking for a few days but not done much of that this year, always took the car, or on a short walk I have taken my big guitar.

small travel guitars are great, I highly recommend them to anyone that misses playing the guitar while aay from home.

Ken

About baby guitars: how many are there on the market?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

no idea but i would thin kfor every make there is the manufacturer probably makes a small one

Ken

Congratulations on your anniversery!!  I have 21 years under my belt...but that's with two different wives so I don't think that's the same thing....
What's the old joke "I've had problems with both my wives, the first one left me and the second one hasn't."
And your guitar can be your emotional / spiritual voice...it's not just a thing--it say's what you're feeling, so no, I think it's a great thing that you miss your guitar.  I've only been playing for 5 years, and I don't know what I did before--not so much with my time, but I mean as an outlet.

Hey,
I find it shocking when I don't pick up my guitar at least once during a 24 hour period.
After that, if I'm away, I get either bored or I start to find other strange hobbies (like picking up piano. tongue).
Anyway, I do tend to miss my guitar.

Jikklop

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven't got the joke yet.

As to that 'don't know what I did before' comment - me neither.  I was a musician as a kid.  But as a kid, it was easy to find other people to play with.  Schedules were pretty free compared to being an adult.  Friend's schedules were also free.  As I grew, space, finances, time all conspired against me and I left music for decades.  I tried here and there, but it didn't work out.  My wife made some teasing comments that she probably thought were just teasing but which hurt enough to interfere with my playing.  (dealt with, any advice on the matter will be promptly ignored) 

So I finally got to playing bass in a worship group a few years ago, but I had to leave that church for reasons I'd rather not discuss (nothing nepharious, it was a painful decision and I don't feel like going into it).  And I was once again adrift musically.  I played bass, and while it's fun to play with CD's it's just not the same as making music.  That's just practice.  In my mind anyway.  So, I took up guitar thinking that maybe it would improve on my theory and bass playing, and I could make music all on my own. 

HOLY MOLEY!!!  This is GREAT!!!  I don't need anyone else to play, but it's real easy to play with someone else too.  I don't know why I let all the baggage get in the way before.  So now, I guess I know exactly what I did before - which is stress and moan and whine - but playing guitar to satisfy that creative urge is just SOOOOOO much better. 

A buddy of mine who's been a jammer/gigger for years and years and years has taken me under his wing and is helping.  We don't get together often, but his encouragement has been immeasurable.  And then some other fellows (two of which are honest-to-goodness Nashville cats) took to encouraging me when they learned I was giving it a go.  So this time, rather than teasing all I've gotten is encouragement and help.  So cool.  Then I get involved here on Chordie, and folks are so supportive.  It's all good.  My bass hasn't been off the wall in months (though I did learn that my guitar playing HAS improved my bass playing). 

- Zurf

Zurf wrote:

As to that 'don't know what I did before' comment - me neither.  I was a musician as a kid.  But as a kid, it was easy to find other people to play with.  Schedules were pretty free compared to being an adult.  Friend's schedules were also free.  As I grew, space, finances, time all conspired against me and I left music for decades.  I tried here and there, but it didn't work out.  My wife made some teasing comments that she probably thought were just teasing but which hurt enough to interfere with my playing.  (dealt with, any advice on the matter will be promptly ignored)  - Zurf

I too am experiencing this.
The smallest comments seem to make me want to pick up a bat.
How do you get someone...anyone...to understand how awesome something is to you without offending them?

When I'm playing in church it bothers me too.
Maybe I'm being too sensitive?

=\
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

What I find myself doing is if I walk in to someone's house and I see a guitar, I just have an (almost) irresistible urge to go over and pick it up and start picking away. Bugger the social niceties, I just want to say "Here, check this out!"
I am new to Chordie, but just love the chat and the real feelin all you people have for the gitaar and sharing your skills, experiences, tips, etc.

Not weird. I recently went away for 4 days -- without my guitar  -- and was not too happy.  i spent the whole time searching for one to play.  I keep one in the back of my van (an old beater) and one in my office in case i get the urge.  I only made it to 19 years married, but my guitar proved to be great therapy, and i play and feel much better now.

Zurf, I read that you were a musician as a kid. One thing I don't get is the fact you wrote that it's more difficult now. But this is my question: what do you mean by difficult. Is it the fact that you "forgot" what you played? Even now, in my situation, I play a few chords, and suddenly THERE IT IS a song.
I have to go to the bathroom (there is also 1 guitar) so better picking up the telephone and 30 minutes blablabla, I want to play that, still subjective, nice song, and I am unable to find it back.
This is a painful thing, or I didn't notice until now, that song wasn't good and I forgot how to play.
About missing your guitar, I have a lot of them, take my stratocaster US made 1964, too expensive and the prices are going up, following the vintage book, with prices, 2005: 10.000$
2006: 15.000$ and 2007: 20.000$. I prefer more to play on my PRS guitars, and if I should sell the Fender, I can buy 2 really, even better guitars using 5000$ for a strat and 5000$ for a tele, and 10.000$ on my bank account, I CAN'T do it, and the prices of vintage guitars are better than buying a share from a big concern, but 20.000$ for a piece of wood with strings I have one strange question: who started things like this? I know that in 1980, a Gibson LP Standard 1959, was not expensive, so who determines the value. I was told that guitar guru's like Gruhn are responsable.

Delighted!

To hear people miss there instruments. For the first time ever i really missed my guitar last week while away..BUT! in a  tiny Craft store
way up in the Istria Mountains, I came across a beautiful hand made minature
Electric Guitar in the same bluey colour as my acoustic. So needless to say,
I purchased same. Ah its only Gorgeous. It sits on its own wee stand..

"Roger Guppy i will send you a photo of this little gem!

Note book/pen goes everywhere with me..

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Doc,

What is more difficult as an adult is finding time in a schedule to play with others.  Playing bass along with CDs on my trainer is good practice, but it isn't FUN.  Playing with others is FUN for me.  As an adult, finding some regulars to play with and finding time in a schedule is what is difficult for me.  I have friends who want to get together, but we just can't make our schedules click. 

With the guitar, I feel like I can play by myself and be making music.  When I play my bass by myself, I feel like it is a nice backing track.  It's just not the same. 

- Zurf

I feel I'm totally rude, I take my (Baby) Taylor wth me and pack my wife. My children like me playing to them at bedtime, usually making up prose they can relate too. We visit friends and I play my baby in their company, I think they think I"m weird, but I don't really care. People usually ask me to play, besides life's to short not to play. When I met my wife I was playing. She often quips about my guitar being my first love, but without her I could not play or grow and because of this I love her. Shit I gave up work to play. I know I'm weird.
I know a girl bass player who has written quite sensual songs about her bass. How it was big and strong etc. I don't think she was weird. smile

RobWright - My children have started to ask me to sing "guitar songs" for them at bedtime.  Perhaps I shall be able to use them as a cheap excuse for packing the guitar.  Generally, I attempt to travel somewhat light (unless it's to a river camp that I'm going - in which case I pack for comfort). 

- Zurf