Topic: new dilema

Hey to everyone. I am a guitar, mandoline, banjo player and have suddenly developed carpel tunnel in my left hand being a righty this is most disturbing. It seems to be getting somewhat better but I'm interested in your feedback and ideas. I'm considering acupuncture being a veteran I don't really think the VA can do anything. When chording was so easy I have to fight to make my fingers work AHGGG! Anyone help??? marcalan

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.

Re: new dilema

i dont think i can help but i am wondering what the VA is.

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Veterans Administration my only health care option..marcalan

I would try another.

The VA may not be able to do acupuncture, but they should be able to treat CTS.   Go see the doc.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Well marcalan, I am a DOC. And a carpal tunnel syndrome really "sucks". It won't kill you and if you want I can give you names of medication.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO: X-Ray of the fore arm and hand, better: an echography on that wrist, on the spot where the problem is. ECHOGRAPHY = sending ultrasone waves, who reflect and so a doc can see a lot more (it is common when pregnant), I used it a lot to have a more perfect diagnosis. The best placed MD is one who treats your problem, a neuro physiologist, who will (in 99%) measure the electricity of the nerves who are COMPRESSED, and with this approach, you will know a lot more.
Also is the fact that it can maybe help to relieve the pain using medication. Some names: IBUPROFEN, DICLOFENAC, are used a lot here. I apologise if it is difficult to understand, but medication has different names all over the world.
An injection in the wrist with cortico steroids (cortisone) can do miracles. I don't know if you have problems like diabetes (thinking about the infiltration using cortisone.
I am afraid that you need to stop for a while, because everytime you use that hand wrist, it will cause more and more problems. From the moment you play, and you start feeling pain STOP.
Other bad news: sometimes, to prevent your wrist moving, they can put a "plaster"to prevent you from using your hand.
Finally some people need surgery (small intervention) So far the "classic" medical part.
GO  for acupuncture, see a doc there, but I hope that I could help you by giving this information you can go to a doc, and that you are aware of different methods.

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: YOU CAN AIL ME IF YOU WANT

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

marcalan wrote:

Hey to everyone. I am a guitar, mandoline, banjo player and have suddenly developed carpel tunnel in my left hand being a righty this is most disturbing. It seems to be getting somewhat better but I'm interested in your feedback and ideas. I'm considering acupuncture being a veteran I don't really think the VA can do anything. When chording was so easy I have to fight to make my fingers work AHGGG! Anyone help??? marcalan

First off, go see a doctor. This is a must.

Secondly, you can switch to a lighter guage string on your guitar or even play a classical or folk guitar with nylon strings. I live and perform with severe chronic arthritis in my hands so I understand your situation. Sometimes when my condition gets real bad I'll tune my guitar down a step and capo the 2nd fret. This can get a bit confusing if you don't keep your concentration but it is effective. Less tension on the strings equates to less force needed from hand to fretboard. Good luck....

Give everything but up.

Thanks for the input. I'm checking out acupuncture today.I realize the Veterans Admin. doesn't do this procedure and I've to many horror stories about surgery especially at the VA. But will see my doctor there as well. Thanks again...marcalan

I would try another.

Most VA hospitals are good hospitals staffed by competent medical professionals .  Don't let the horror stories scare you away.    Walter Reed was an anomaly, and you can bet every VA administrator in the country is taking a close look at their own facilities.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I have suffered from carpel tunnel problems. A couple of years ago I was seeing an osteopath for my back problems. He also said that he could treat me for the carpel problem but I moved before I could take him up on the offer.

At the time I was working as a full-time computer programmer and it was my mouse hand that had the symptoms. I can no longer work full-time because of other medical problems, but I found switching to a track ball instead of a mouse helped considerably when using a computer.

Anyway, the point is that there may be several alternatives to surgery ...

Best of luck

David