Topic: chordie gear

Hi all

just saw the chordie t-shirts and mugs and stuff and don't they look great?  Then checked out the same stuff on the American shop site and the same gear is the same price... in dollars which given the exchange rate means that us europeans are paying double sad

I know I am a miserable curmudgeon but, golly, I do feel upset!  Think I shall write a song about it...

went to the music store for something not to play
came away again cos i didn't want to pay...

It's funny how close song is to snog... could be a way of life!

Cheers and keep picking

I'm the son of rage and love

Re: chordie gear

It's the way the world is. Don't know about the rest of Europe but in the UK we get ripped off constantly by this. We are not known as RIP OFF Britain for nothing.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Yep we are ripp off capital of the world.
Oour petrol ( gasoline to the americans) is just under £1 per litre, some places it is over the £1 mark, so that would mean about $1.90 or thereabouts per litre to the americans.
we pay a few thousand extra for our cars too cpmpared with europe.
We pay about £112 per year just to watch the basic channels on tv. If we want cable/sattelite then at least £10 extra per month.
In Scotland we are the biggest for distilling whisky yet we can buy it cheaper abroad.
for cigarettes that are made in london smokers pay about £5 per pack of 20, go to france get the same brand ofr a few quid cheaper. ( but i tihnk thye should be £10 per pack)
people cannot even afford to die here, the government tax you on that too lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Try living in Ireland!
Just some of the prices i paid last week in Istria, And the surrounding areas.

3 lattes, 1 pint of beer, 1 pack Marlbora Lights? Under 8 Euro.
4 course meal for 4, 1 litre red wine for mise{well i was on my hols} I litre white wine, 2 beers,  all beautiful good quality food. Under 50 Euro.
Because we tipped well, the waiter gave us "Pear Grappa" Local liquer.
Gorgeous stuff.
Every meal we had was under 50 euro for 4. Including drinks.
Every day we had Italian home made icecream, my friends partner had Banana
split, never more then 5 euro for us all.
The best Truffle Olive Oil, 18 euro a bottle. I never buy it here as its 6 times that price .
The last meal i had here in Ireland some weeks ago cost me 285 Euro, for 5 people.

Ah yes, Good Old Holy Catholic Rip Off Ireland. Beautiful Country, but expensive..
Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

ok lets stir up some confusion and controversy!!  I went out for lunch with my good lady wife last week and we had a meal each and half a pint of urine for her (lager to some) and i had a pint of beautiful thick hoppy 5.2% real ale & i paid...  £8.49 altogether so it just goes to show we can all be wrong sometimes!!!!

petrol is a rip off since the wwII policy of rationing.  The americans went down the route of not putting extra duty on gasoline where the brits knew a good source of usury when they saw it!  Actually I think it was a way of helping to pay for rebuilding the infrastructure that was damaged by the war... then they saw that duty was good so they kept it!  I am torn as to whether it's a good thing or a bad thing but if it helps to make people think twice about using our precious natural resources rather than squandering the finite maybe it's not as bad as it first seems.  Damned inconvenient when you have to buy fuel though!

We just increased the legal age for smoking to 18!  That'll stop kids smoking then lol!  Bit tough on the 17 year olds who've been smoking legally for a year?  I guess somebody didn't think that one through!

Kids'll always smoke, some will stop some will always smoke and some will die from it but the world will keep turning.

I went to Dublin a while ago, beautiful buildings and scenery and parks but don't you feel it's trying a little too hard to meet expectations of what Dublin should be?  Fantastic food but everywhere I went for food and drink it was sanitised pub chain fare rather than "traditional ireland".  Not complaining as i had a great time.

x

sorry to bore y'all

I was not bored reading that.
You have a point on fuel, keeping it expensive will help the resources of it, even though we sell our north sea fuel to other countries much cheapness,lol.
Smoking for underagers is like drinking for them, if they want, they shall get.

£8.49 for a meal and a drink is quite good but was this at either the pizza hut buffet or a brewers fair place? I admit ye can get some good nosh from these pub chains, good as in bring it out the freezer and chuck it in the micro. As long as I dont see them doing this I dont mind what I eat.

I love Dublin too , but like you I was expecting too much of what I thought Ireland was when I first went. Still love the place though, especially temple bar and the late night kebab shop there, best ever kebabs I have ever had ( wouldnt be hard though as the kebabs round this place cater for the unhealthy glasweigans)
To see the "real Ireland" I am told I have to get my Butt to Cork. Lol.
reminds me, I got to go phone my mate there
byefurthenoo
Ken

lol it was at JD Wetherspoon's Yarborough Hotel in Grimsby!  Guest ale is £1.39 a pint so suck it up!!!

I love a kebab as much as the next man and certainly more than my wife does which would go a long way towards explaining why I don't eat many!

Next time I shall follow the McCarthy's Bar trail and find the "real Ireland" or perhaps just read Old Doll's submissions.

Take it easy, or just take it, it's up to you  smile

Just to give an idea 12 of us went out for a meal last week to a local bar. One course only, either 1/2 a chicken or 3 pork chops with as many chips, potatoes, rice and salad as you wanted. All drinks, including several bottles of wine, uncountable bottles of lager plus several shorts to finish the day were in the price - €6.50 per head. Come to think of it there were a lot of sore heads the following day lol

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

So after all this can someone explain why we in Europe are paying the same figures in £'s as those in the USA are in $'s. Even with my extremely limited knowledge of exchange rates this surely doesn't add up. I know I said it was the way of the world but I'd still like an explaination. I'm sure there must be a good reason for it.

By the way, Ken, I had a nice meal in the Tully Inn on Saturday night (3 main courses, 3 drinks - £30 since we're going into these things). After a day climbing The Cobbler. What a view we Never got. Stinker of a day. And then Sunday - glorious! Typical.

blimey, roger what a bargain, i should move!

Alvee, I wish i had an answer for you but hey, that's life!  There are many unexplained things in life such as... why is country music so popular?  Why deep fried mars bars?  What exactly goes into a kebab?  Actually i probably don't want to know!

alvee33 wrote:

By the way, Ken, I had a nice meal in the Tully Inn on Saturday night (3 main courses, 3 drinks - £30 since we're going into these things). After a day climbing The Cobbler. What a view we Never got. Stinker of a day. And then Sunday - glorious! Typical.

Al, that is funny. I was actaully going to go up there yesterday with my son and daughter, but my wofe was off work and talked me into going today instead with the kids, but that never happened either as my tyre got a big nail in it, couldnt get my wheel off to change it, phoned the AA, waited on them, went in a bad mood, went shopping, went home, spent an hour in balloch park then tried to do stuff on the computer with a buggered cam corder, so I have had a crap day!! and to make things worse, I have no tv, my digital box is knackered!! so played the guitar most of the day!! ( not so bad) we went to stirling castle yesterday, great day up there but a bit hazy, so glad  i never went walking.

I have still not eaten in the tully yet, but prices like that I think I should!! Me,wife and two kids went to that Princess rose chinese that got shut for food poisoning a few months ago, that was £65 for two adults, two kids ( tiny portions for them big prices!) one pint of lager, one wine two juices.
WARNING!!! rip off britain? the chinese heard about it and set up shop in balloch lol
Ken

13 (edited by Old Doll 2007-10-07 23:18:51)

BoneDaddy!
Apologies all round for the food you had here.. But Pub grub is just that?
Been to Wetherspoons. Yikes! Now  I love fly fishing, and fish in general!
But square fish i never seen in my whole life? That stuff is like your Kabab
S##T. Compressed waste! Id rather go hungry.
I could take you to pubs around this country, where just smoked salmon and brown bread are like royal feasts.. If you dont like fish, The best Home made Burgers and Fries { made from real spuds} Not flour and water.
Heres a wee tip for you for your next visit..
Always have your Lunch/Dinner in Hotels.. They do the best Carvery with the best selection of food. Usually between 10/12 Euro. Steer clear at nighttime
as this will prob cost nearer 50 euro. The best fish and Chips! Leo Burdocks.
Still wrapped in paper like old times. The best Thai, Best not give the name as its owned by members of my family, right in the heart of the city. This would have to be booked
as it deals mainly with the corporate world.. But they do a great lunch menu.
Guaranteed no  compressed Elephants Legs here. "Kababs"
Now Bonedaddy you just take your colon big and small and swish it in your loo a few times and flush.    Your good wife is right dont eat that stuff.
I do have Burgers Sometimes, but always feel ill after them.. I also love food
as anyone who is not blind can see.
There is one New Pub Opened in the heart of the city. It was an Old church,
I have had lunch there with my Son on different occassions. Really good food
and wont break the bank.
Email me next time your thinking of visiting, and ill point you to the right places.

The dearest meal i had in this city was, for 7 people 1,200 old pounds some years ago. Honestly! I came home and nearly ate the legs off the kitchen table
so hungry was i. But thats a whole other story..
Go out around the country, The city is just catering to the masses.

Fried Mars bars? Heart attack on a plate. Lifes to short to be putting holes in doughnuts...But you know thoses wee dunkin ones, well last time i was in the America i ate them clean out! Sinful But divine.  Colon swishing time TEhe.

Slán
Old Doll.

why are things so much more expensive in europe? i dont understsnd that . i dont think anyones explained it so i can understand . seems like it should be cheaper but even when i lived there it was cheaper to get things at the milatary base my dad was staioned at then it was oof base.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

It's all down to tax. Like Ken said, Scotland is the world leader in Whisky production but you can jump over to France and buy it cheaper than you can in the country it was made. Madness.

Looks like I just answered my own question there.

Doh!

Sounds like South Africa...We produce petrol in Sasolburg and export to our neighbouring countries. Here we pay R7 for a litre and in Botswana we can buy our petrol for two rand less.
Of course a decent 4x4 costs in the region of 1/2 a million and our roads are so crappy that you have to ride one or you could always pay for new shocks everytime you ride to the cafe.
A decent guitar will set you back about R3000, a good one about R5000 and I don't know what a great one costs because I'm too scared of heart failure to ask.
And I had a very good meal the other day...it only cost R600...amazing how much better fish and chips tastes when they call it fillet and sauted potatoes...
Just out of interest though the exchange rate is 14 rand to a pound.

You know, old doll the more I read your lyrics (surely your posts deserve to be set to music) the more I feel like upping stakes and skimming across the water to the Isle of my forefathers - apparently from Cork!  I'll be sure to ask your advice before getting committed though!

I don't think all our prices are down to tax though.  We are apparently one of the richest and most developed countries in the world (probably because we stole a great deal of wealth from everywhere we occupied) therefore people charge what they think the economy can support.  It would probably explain the hideous amount of debt the average person accrues these days.

In response to selso:  I believe it is just the British Isles that suffers from inflated price policies, or at the very least we are the most over-inflated.  The rest of Europe seems relatively cheap.

x

Bonedaddy,
Corkonian blood? "UP THE REBELS". You must learn those 3 words with the best cork accent, sure youll be as welcome as the flowers in May.

DUBLIN? Go to cork next time. Email me before hand, I will give you 3 names
of the best restaurants, in Youghal, Kinsale, Ballycotton.

Sure bonedaddy you wont ever want to go home. Make sure and bring your
instrument, and the wife! They love musicians and strange woman around
those parts! Believe me i know this. lol.

Slán

Old Doll.

To be sure, old doll if I took either my wife or my instrument my welcome would be so brief as to make an English summer seem like a lifetime!

x