Topic: Ads on print pages?

Say it isn't so...

Whenever I print a song I now see faint letters in a rectangle that reads, "You can now place your ads on every Chordie print. Contact admin@chordie.com for details."

Advertising on your website isn't enough?

sc
tx

Re: Ads on print pages?

Hi scosio - First, let me state that as a moderator/administrator on this forum I am an unpaid volunteer.  I do what I do here for fun and because I feel this site is a valuable resource - so I hope it continues to flourish and grow.

I am unaware of financial details, but I am certain there are real costs involved in sustaining and improving the site.  Personally, I would prefer these costs are covered by advertising rather than user fees or membership subscriptions.

The advertising on chordie.com is unobtrusive - no annoying sounds, or pop-ups, or flashing junk.  I assume this is by choice - the owner/developer of the site could make it look however he chooses but he has chosen to give chordie a nice 'clean' layout which is easy on the eyes.

I see advertising on the songsheets as being a small price to pay for free access to chordie's index and other features.  Nobody is advertising there yet, but eventually some business will see that these ads offer real value.  When that happens, it won't bother me a bit.

I just hope that the site generates sufficient revenues to make it a sustainable business that can continue to grow and thrive.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Re: Ads on print pages?

Yes, I am considering placing ads on songsheets. It will be a very small ad in the top right corner, it will be guitar related and it will not "waste" any space on the songsheet. This would mean less ads elsewhere.

The current box is a bit annoying though, so Ill disable it for a while...:-)

The advertising policy is that the ads should be unobtrusive and relevant. In an ideal world there would be no ads on the site. But in that ideal world hardware and bandwidth was free too, and I had an unlimited amount of spare time to hack on the site.