1 (edited by deaken316 2007-10-15 00:54:23)

Topic: New Amp time

Hey everyone I am looking for a new amp and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions I play in a band so needs to be fairly loud I might do a couple small gigs(mostly rock/metal). But heres the catch my budget is kinda low and I dont want to spend much mony (under $80 $100 at the max) Anyway, if anyone has any ideas reply.
                                                                             deaken316

Re: New Amp time

I just went through the same thing deaken---
I had settled on the smallest line 6 which had some umph for $100.  Crate has a 30 watt at $100 which was in the running.  The Marshall 30 watt was $120 I think, but only had one channel if I remember right.
But if you need to play over a drum kit--espicially rock / metal, a dink amp isn't going to get it done.  I went with the 60 watt Hartke for $199 (talked him down to $191 with my incredible negotiating skills) at Sam Ash--has a tube pre-amp so you'll get some serious nasty gain out of the thing--I love it, the thing gets very dirty. You'll want to get a footswitch as well--run you another $20.
Might want to check out www.craigslist.com and see what you come up with used.  Amps can take so much abuse I just shyed away from going the used route.
Good luck!

I am going to open a topic for amps. Cheap and powerful. It also depends if you want to buy effects.
BUT I will add some more, who are probably a little bit more expensive.
I did the same with electric and acoustic guitars.
Where do you live? US or UK?
Deakon, if you want to do gigs, it is more difficult to find an amp. 30W I really don't know if this amp gives you enough power. Probably enough if you play in a bar, DON'T forget that a lot of people talk and if you use the full power, the sound will not be brilliant.
Are you so restricted in your budget?
To play in a decent way, you will probably need at least 50W.
A total different point is: when my daughter was 16, she wanted a motor bike, like a Scooter.
The price range was between 2000-3000€, I used 2500€ to see it in $$, it is equal to 3500$
Knowing that my ex drove her at school, and I picked her up, we were able to convince her that when she turned 18, she wanted a car. We, and thanks God, she too, are really glad that we were able to convince her to wait. Now she is driving a VOLKSWAGEN, and she is grateful that we waited, because once she had her drivers licence, she would never use a motor nike.
Why this story: if you are going to perform and things work out fine, which I do hope, is there a possibility to reconsider the problem with your budget? I don't want to know about your finances, I just want to help by giving you suggestions. An amp, you need at least 30W, can be perfect, and having a lot of guitars and amps, I really have a kind of personal opinion.
Sometimes it is better to wait, like having a friend who gives you his amp to use in a gig. Some people I know, use sometimes one of my guitars, like my Gibson Flying V, or my tele. I should start a business in providing and renting instruments.
IN FACT ALL AMPS BELOW 100$ ARE SO CALLED PRACTISE AMPS, in critics I read more than once that 30W is just enough to hear in a band, compared to the drummer). See the topic I am writing about cheap but more quality amps.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

deaken316 wrote:

Hey everyone I am looking for a new amp and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions I play in a band so needs to be fairly loud I might do a couple small gigs(mostly rock/metal). But heres the catch my budget is kinda low and I dont want to spend much mony (under $80 $100 at the max) Anyway, if anyone has any ideas reply.
                                                                             deaken316

Deak,
Here a few possibilities for your amp search;

http://www.music123.com/Fender-Frontman … 3.Music123

http://www.music123.com/Peavey-Solo-Gui … 5.Music123

http://www.music123.com/Marshall-MG10CD … 2.Music123
http://www.music123.com/Fender-15R-Fron … 9.Music123

http://www.music123.com/Hughes---Kettne … 4.Music123

There are many more options than the ones I listed, navigate around the site and find what best suits you. The prices on this site are the best I've found and I buy tons of gear. Happy huning!!

SouthPaw41L(Toney)

Give everything but up.

I am picking up this amp to play with in church.

http://line6.com/spideriii/30.html#specs

Does anyone know if 30W thru a 12in speaker will be loud enough to be heard over the drums?
If not I'll have to save up more until the end of the month and get the...heavier...75w unit. *OOF*

TIA!

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I guess it would depend on how aggressive your drum player is...if you are working with a sound system then have you thought about enclosing the drums and then mike them? Build sort of a "cubicle" out of pexiglass or similar material just a bit taller than the drum set...then he can freely play without drowning everyone else out...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

jaygordon75 wrote:

I guess it would depend on how aggressive your drum player is...if you are working with a sound system then have you thought about enclosing the drums and then mike them? Build sort of a "cubicle" out of pexiglass or similar material just a bit taller than the drum set...then he can freely play without drowning everyone else out...

That has already been done. Sadly though, I sit behind wall of the plexi that surrounds the drums.
I run the mixing board and play guitar along with that when I'm not being flagged down by 8 different people to adjust the audio to how they each want it. (rolleyes)

I just want to make sure that this amp will be loud enough to broadcast out to the entire floor from the corner where I manage the audio and play guitar.

I wish I could draw an example of the arrangement of the church...I'll try.

Thanks,
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

THANKS A LOT SOUTHPAW, I looked on these sites, also on www.zzounds.com and www.musiciansfriend.com. I did not look on eBay, later.
It is to get crazy to look and to collect all the information I try to give you all, but I have a lot of time, so I love to share my findings.
I only discovered that you have to spend at least 200$ to get a decent amp.
BUT I WILL CONTINUE TO GATHER INFORMATION, ABOUT GUITARS, AMPS.
All you need to do is, when you don't have a lot of time, write a topic about a guitar, and since I am sitting a long time here, I will be really happy if I can help you. I always loved to help people, it was my occupation too. So DON'T BE SHY TO ASK.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Southpaw and Detman, thanks for everything, but to answer your question Detman, I looked a few hours and trying to use your budget, you will find only amps, mend to practise. But 30W, yes that can be OK, they will hear you quit good, if I should know this: HOW MANY NOISE IS PRODUCED BY A DRUMMER, playing like he always play. The comments I saw described 30W can be enough to be heard, but JESUS, if the drummer plays like the late JOHN "BONZO" BONHAM (Led Zeppelin) I think you need 200W smile

gitaardocphil wrote:

Southpaw and Detman, thanks for everything, but to answer your question Detman, I looked a few hours and trying to use your budget, you will find only amps, mend to practise. But 30W, yes that can be OK, they will hear you quit good, if I should know this: HOW MANY NOISE IS PRODUCED BY A DRUMMER, playing like he always play. The comments I saw described 30W can be enough to be heard, but JESUS, if the drummer plays like the late JOHN "BONZO" BONHAM (Led Zeppelin) I think you need 200W smile

Ah ha...Well, I will add another $100 to the budget and have $200 to work with.
IF I can find the 75W version of the Line6 - Spider III amplifier for that much I will buy that one.
If not, I will settle on the 30W and just put a microphone in front of it and run the sound through the house speakers.

The little ibanez 10w practise amp that I'm playing with just sounds horrible turned all the way up. The louder you make the amp, the worse that the speaker sounds. I bought it used and I think that there is something wrong with the speaker cone. But what can you expect from a 10w amp with a 5 inch speaker in it....hahahahaha.
It's great for practicing at home, but it can't do much more than that.

Oh yeah, Phil...I have three drummers in my church. Depending on who is playing, I adjust the volume of my amplifier to compensate.
The first drummer is my godson who is 11 and doesn't get too loud on the drums. I can be heard just fine playing with him.
The second drummer is the Keyboardist. When he plays I have to turn the amp up to 9 to be heard (9 out of 10).
The third drummer is the pro of the church. When he is playing it is like explosions are going off. He is VERY strong and VERY loud on the drums. (There have been times when I have had to put on my headphones/monitors just to block the sound because it hurts my ears.)  When he is playing I can turn the little 10W amp all the way up to 10 and I just can't be heard. He even drowns out the keyboard speakers and the keyboardist has to route the sounds through the house speakers to be heard.

=p
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

11 (edited by deaken316 2007-10-17 20:56:08)

Hey guys I think a new amp right now is kinda out of my price range. So I think I am going to save up and get a nice one.  A lso My freind that plays the drummes in my band has a very nice amp I dont know why But it does not have the distortion so would it be possible to get a cheaper effects peddel and use it on that amp?  http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-GV-2-Guvno … otohosting http://www.amazon.com/Boss-DS-1-Classic … amp;sr=8-7  If so please tell me and let me know if that is a decent one.

Detman101 wrote:
jaygordon75 wrote:

That has already been done. Sadly though, I sit behind wall of the plexi that surrounds the drums.
I run the mixing board and play guitar along with that when I'm not being flagged down by 8 different people to adjust the audio to how they each want it. (rolleyes)

I just want to make sure that this amp will be loud enough to broadcast out to the entire floor from the corner where I manage the audio and play guitar.

Thanks,
Dm

Are you able to mike your amp and mix it with the overall sound?

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

jaygordon75 wrote:
Detman101 wrote:
jaygordon75 wrote:

Thanks,
Dm

Are you able to mike your amp and mix it with the overall sound?

Well, I guess I could do that for the meantime while I wait on the funds for the new amp.
That may actually be the easier route to take.

=]
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle