Topic: Just read this topic....

Me and my friends are thinking of starting a band for the school talent show. We have an awesome lead guitarist and me as the rythm guitarist. We were gonna have this one guy play drums for us, but he broke his knee. I don't know if he will still be able. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO PLAY DRUMS!!!! We need a name though. help...

EVERYONE'S LOOKIN' AT ME WEIRD, BOB.

~~random~~ wink

Re: Just read this topic....

Zorne
pronounced (sore knee)

ye need a name for a band with a drummer that cannot play due to a broken leg?, pmsl,
how about

broken legs

or

No Beat

or

Skins not hit

or

Place for a drummer

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

How bout:

The Rocknee's  or  The Kneerocks, or my fav Phat Brittany.

Good luck on your name.

.... Badeye.

one caper after another

5 (edited by alvee33 2007-10-20 11:39:15)

5 legg-ed 3 piece

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

A couple of suggestions for you:

Drums in Kneed

Crutched Percussion

The Legless Drummer Band

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

- The fabulous meniscus band
- Broken drum legs.

If you need a drummer, and you don't find one, you can maybe use a "drum machine"?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

The Patella Fellas

Rat-a-tat-taps and the Busted Knee Caps

Drum Machine?????? NEVER!!!!! Drum Machines are horrific for music. They are the enemy! We must gather as a strong force a declare our total and complete abstinance from these evil, demonic, souless, harmful to all walks of music, rhythym boxes of filth. Please join me in this quest. If you cannot find a drummer, go without. Please, please, please, do not resort to a drum machine. It pains me utterly just to write of these crap holders! Phew! I feel better now!

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L , I have a friend who is drummer, he also played as guest on a few albums, he tells me the same. You can hear it pretty good if a drum machine is used.
For me, playing alone, and having a BOSS BR 600 (I still don't know how it works) it is interesting.
I am able to "create" a song, alone and with a possibility to correct, and that song is finished.
But live: most people think that the singer, the guitar player are the most important band members. WRONG, the most important musicians are the drummer and bassist, they are the "essence" of a band.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

gitaardocphil wrote:

SouthPaw41L , I have a friend who is drummer, he also played as guest on a few albums, he tells me the same. You can hear it pretty good if a drum machine is used.
For me, playing alone, and having a BOSS BR 600 (I still don't know how it works) it is interesting.
I am able to "create" a song, alone and with a possibility to correct, and that song is finished.
But live: most people think that the singer, the guitar player are the most important band members. WRONG, the most important musicians are the drummer and bassist, they are the "essence" of a band.

I disagree; take away the bass player and the drummer and the show goes on. Take away the singer and the guitar player and the show is over.

Give everything but up.

Take away the bass player and the drummer and you've got a singer/songwriter in a coffeehouse.  Add the bass player and the drummer back in and you've got a band.  Presumably one that can keep a beat. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

12 (edited by SouthPaw41L 2007-10-22 08:15:03)

Zurf wrote:

Take away the bass player and the drummer and you've got a singer/songwriter in a coffeehouse.  Add the bass player and the drummer back in and you've got a band.  Presumably one that can keep a beat. 

- Zurf

Just a few numbers to make things a little clearer. Last year(2006) I played a total of 360 gigs. 48 of these gigs were with drummer and or bass player. Lets see, that leaves 312 gigs played el solo, by me self. How many gigs did the drummer and bass player play without this singer/guitar player? Eh that'd be zero. And I've never stepped foot into a coffeehouse, can't stand the stuff, muchless played a gig in one. All of these gigs were at bars, resorts, or festivals.

I don't devalue the importance of bass and drums in music but singer/guitarists are, in most cases, the primary focal point and more times than not, the leader of a group. I love bass and drums but they're not a prerequisite for creating a band.

See;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29CMRsWl … mp;search=

and this;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAI3QgssxKA

and one more;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0U7TKSTSE0

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

I don't devalue the importance of bass and drums in music but singer/guitarists are, in most cases, the primary focal point and more times than not, the leader of a group. I love bass and drums but they're not a prerequisite for creating a band.

Yeah, but at how many of those gigs did you have a solid low-end and a steady beat?  Now, as a bass player, I can tell you how many gigs I'VE played without a singer or guitarist.  That'd be, well I guess also zero*.  But still...

- Zurf

*actually it would be a heck of a lot, but that's because I was playing double bass in a classical orchestra so may not really count  big_smile

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

14 (edited by SouthPaw41L 2007-10-22 19:18:34)

Zurf wrote:

Yeah, but at how many of those gigs did you have a solid low-end and a steady beat?

Every single one of them;

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/RC-20XL/

I never play with pre-recorded music, instead I loop. I usually lay down a guitar track followed by djembe,cabasa, casaba, and shaker percussion ending with fretless bass. I love this looping thing!!It's also called phrase sampling. The key is variety. Mixing the instrumentation arrangements and song dynamics makes for a more interesting listen for the audience. My musical services are in greater demand locally since I started looping about 2 years ago.

Give everything but up.

Clicked on that link there hoping for a clip of the Southpaw in action. sad

This is something that has always fascinated me. You guys amaze me. More power to you.

Gaun yersel! as they say where I come from.

alvee33 wrote:

Clicked on that link there hoping for a clip of the Southpaw in action. sad

This is something that has always fascinated me. You guys amaze me. More power to you.

Gaun yersel! as they say where I come from.

I've got a friend working on a  live video to submit to youtube and a few other media sources. I hope to have it completed and posted within the next 6 weeks. I will absolutely share it with all of you wonderful people at Chordie. I gotta do a few sit-ups and work on my tan.(haha)

What is Gaun yersel! ?

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:
gitaardocphil wrote:

I disagree; take away the bass player and the drummer and the show goes on. Take away the singer and the guitar player and the show is over.

you are both wrong....no,without the lead and singer you only have a lot of rythm stuff....but WITHOUT the bass and drum, theres no beat at all!!!  All need each other!!

HAVE YOU
     HUGGED YOUR GUITAR
                                 TODAY??

kath628 wrote:

you are both wrong....no,without the lead and singer you only have a lot of rythm stuff....but WITHOUT the bass and drum, theres no beat at all!!!  All need each other!!

unless one does this;

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/RC-20XL/

I never play with pre-recorded music, instead I loop. I usually lay down a guitar track followed by djembe,cabasa, casaba, and shaker percussion ending with fretless bass. I love this looping thing!!It's also called phrase sampling. The key is variety. Mixing the instrumentation arrangements and song dynamics makes for a more interesting listen for the audience. My musical services are in greater demand locally since I started looping about 2 years ago.

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

What is Gaun yersel! ?

Literally translated - Go on yourself!

Usually followed by something like Big Man, Wee Man or  Son or Hen if female.

Isn't language a wonderful thing.

Hello eveybody! I have been gone for awhile, doing band stuff...
I appreciate you band suggestions for names and I realize there was a conversation going on (nudge nudge wink wink), but our drummer is better now. So I need names that DON'T relate to our...poor ,stupid drummer....
seriously he is literally stupid!!!!!
thanks though!

~~random~~ wink

ok,so a few more names?

how about

literally stupid

or

but rub

or

the truth

or

mended bones

or

Last night

or

public nuicances

or head live invasion

or

Bird flu

Ken

guitarrox16 wrote:

that DON'T relate to our...poor ,stupid drummer....
seriously he is literally stupid!!!!!
thanks though!

Well sure, he's a drummer. 

(if you're a drummer, I'm kidding)  (as far as you know)

Q: How can you tell if the stage is set up level?
A: If drool is coming out of both sides of the drummer's mouth.

I don't really have any name suggestions.  Band names are dime a dozen.  Just pick up a newspaper and there will be some names.  I'm looking at the ads on the side of this page and have come up with...

Quick & Easy
Next Hour
Smilies

Zurf wrote:

(if you're a drummer, I'm kidding)  (as far as you know)

lol lol

superb!!!!

lol

Great!!! We are coming up with good names!!!
My band likes The Rebels or Truth or Dare
something like that!
Sweet!

~~random~~ wink

the rebels is cool.... of course I guess I'm biased big_smile
I've always thought RedHill would be a cool name, it could sound cool and bloody, but it also has a hidden reference to the place I grew up. Guess that wouldn't help yall though would it?
What kind of music does it happen to be??

Turkey Leg- (that would be a drumstick get it?)
Nameless, or maybe, No Name, or you could even take that a step further with something like Stolen Identity, or N/A (thats non applicable, its what you put on a blank space on a resume' or other 'fill out' papers when you don't want to answer, or it doesn't apply to the situation)
I'm with stupid- if he's that dumb lol

Anyway I'm just thinking out loud those are terrible I know.

All You Need is Love smile