Topic: a question for the british football fans

I was just wondering without causing a big debate about it.
Just a reply yes or no and a few lines to why you have answeered yes or no.

Hmmm, the rest of the world could give a reply too I suppose since it has to do with a world event.

the question is:
Do you think England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales should merge together to make a British Olympic team for football?

I say NO.
I tihnk because we go in as a british team then it could be accepted but to take proffessional players away from their their teams when needed is wrong. If they want to do it, get amatuers to compete and maybe from there these unkown ametuers could become stars later.
I would not like to see a british team if they want to make it up with professionals like they want to.

KEn

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Re: a question for the british football fans

They dont want amatuers though, they want Beckham etc

I say No. I always thought the Olympics were supposed to
be amateur sport from different country's. I like our Olympic
Team to be all Canadian. I think pro's making lots of money should'nt be allowed to play. There are lot's of athletes that are willing to play for there country.

...Badeye.

one caper after another

I think we should have a british football (can't really bring myself to call it soccer) team. However it should be composed entirely of amateurs. Bit like Queens Park or the SFA.

There are enough really good players in the various conferences / juniors to make it happen.

But then at the start of every season i believe that Rangers will win the League, both cups, the champions league, the super cup and be recognised as the best team on the planet. All of this while playing football that makes Brazil look like a bunch of Sunday league hackers.

David

Gutar Player, Singer, Entertainer  - At least in my own mind.

lol david spoken like a true old firm fan.

I think if it was made up with amatuers then yes, But once we get independance we can put out our own scottish olympic football team and get beat at everything. lol Although we are doing ok just now.
Just spent an hour and ten minutes with the phone to my ear pressing redial redial trying to get an extra ticket for the Itlay game. I will just have to make do wit hthe one I have.:(

Ken

I think there should be a British Olympic football team but ONLY AMATEURS, no professionals. Would really bring the amateur game through in Britain and find young talent for all the home nations. As long as we placed an age limitation on it say, 21 years old maximum and reopened the old academy (or founded a new one) at Lilleshall then all of the home nations could bring talent through and stop the influx of foreigners into the british game. Now I know Brazil, Cameroon, Argentina etc put pro's into their teams but if the olympic comittee just changed the rules then it would be great. I can remember seeing Carlos Tevez, Lionel Messi and Javier Saviola play in the last one and just thinking it was really unfair. If you put a Conference North/South limitation on the level of footballer, coupled with the age limit (also change the limitation on leagues to reflect Wales, Scotland and Northern Irelands individual set-ups) A bit far-fetched I know but would be interesting to see, in rugby league the team is GB so why not have a team GB football team and use it as a talent finder??

Yes.

They should only include amateur players. Cos if they included pros then the UK team would just be the current Scottish team in a different strip. smile

David, Rangers ARE the best team on the planet, doesn't matter whether anyone recognises this or not! lol.

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

8 (edited by alvee33 2007-11-03 16:28:57)

No

Having a British team then puts pressure on the individual associations to amalganate. If it starts with olympic then the pressure then starts for the same in all competitions and the collapse of 4 football associations.

It would all end in tears.

I'm writing this listening to the football on the radio and St Mirren have just gone a goal down to Motherwell. The tears have started already. sad

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

that is a very good point there.
If they start even with amatuers for the olympics they will eventually want to make a british team. Something I dont think would ever happen though Not only would the scots not want it, the english wouldnt either, I dont know about the N.Irish or welsh? but I wouldnt think they would either.
And although i am very very patriotic to my country ( no really I am, even though it doesnt look like it sometimes,lol) we are all on one island ( apart fro mN.Ireland)  and maybe should have one national team? If we can get the english and welsh and N.Irish to speak a scottish accent, make them accept that scottish pound notes are legal tender as well as the other scottish notes, and let at least half of the new national side be born in Scotland then I think it could work. lol
I just seen a pig fly passed my window, so it could happen

hmmm, now I am sitting on that high fence.

Should we ? shouldnt we?

Maybe since football is not an olympic sport they should not have it in the olympics at all? that would save me thinking about all this.

Ken

UYK,

Do we still have pound notes?
I haven't seen one for ages.

David

Gutar Player, Singer, Entertainer  - At least in my own mind.

yep we do. They are getting rarer but they have not been taken out of circulation yet.
I tihnk the clydesdale bak stopped them years ago but the Bank of Scotland or the Royal bank of Scotland or both still have them.

I had 3 of them a few weeks ago in my change. I got rid of them quickly though straight back into the till that gave me them,lol

Ken

Why do they use the same name, no, FOOTBALL HAS TO BE AND REMAIN FOOTBALL.
IT is sad that the word "soccer" (derived from the word "sucker") is used in the USA.

USA FOOTBALL should be HANDBALL, it has nothing to do with a foot

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I think not,
as said before its the thin edge of the wedge as the other football associations have never liked the fact that such a small and close nit set of countries get 4 chances in the major competitions and once the precedent is set? To all you teddy bears out there "nay luck" last night, c'moan the Jags (I am a tortured soul)

gitaardocphil wrote:

Why do they use the same name, no, FOOTBALL HAS TO BE AND REMAIN FOOTBALL.
IT is sad that the word "soccer" (derived from the word "sucker") is used in the USA.

USA FOOTBALL should be HANDBALL, it has nothing to do with a foot

they also use the word soccer in New Zealand as well. My brother moved there ;ast year and all the time in his emails he mentions soccer. He never used this word before but he says he says it now because everyone else does there. If he mentions football they would not know he was talking about football as in the real football,lol

Now americans cannot call their game hand ball as they do use their feet too I think???
American football so i am led to believe is really called gridion, or is that an entirely different game? or maybe the american football derived from gridion?

If they started calling it a different name they would be totally confused.

I just dont like it when people that call it soccer start dictating that it is called soccer as they have their own football term.

Even the french I think call it soccer, or the few french I have talked to called it soccer. maybe they were deliberatly winding me up?
But since football was invented in china then reinvented in the UK with a scotsman from the Aberdeen area making up the rules ( yes, I am sorry english people, this is true. it was proven last year sometime) and it was called football then in the 14 centuary I think???? ( probably completely wrong with the era) it should be known as FOOTBALL all over the world. Even before america got invaded by western folk the game was getting played.

Also, while on the subject of football. I have to let my useless info into your minds too so you know as much as me lol
It was a scotasman that took the rules of football and leagues for football over to Brazil and set the foundations of them being so good at the game. So, us scots have shot ourselves in the foot a bit by doing that.
Also, I think a lot of Scottish women should emmigrate to Brazil and take their young children with them so they can grow up playing and breathing football, eating football, being fantastic at football, then when hey are 16 they get a flight back over to scotland and become the greatest bestest footy team in the world.

Now, thats a plan!!!

Ken

DavidGrant wrote:

I think we should have a british football (can't really bring myself to call it soccer) team. However it should be composed entirely of amateurs. Bit like Queens Park or the SFA.

There are enough really good players in the various conferences / juniors to make it happen.

But then at the start of every season i believe that Rangers will win the League, both cups, the champions league, the super cup and be recognised as the best team on the planet. All of this while playing football that makes Brazil look like a bunch of Sunday league hackers.

David

Funnily enough i used to have similiar delusuions of Grandeur for the Gers at the start of every season.
                Sadly due to criminal mismanagment of the failed newspaper proprieter, Lord Murray of Capetown. 
               I no longer even dream. 
   As the former Sweatshop/GrannyFarm Entrepeuner Sir David has no ambitions or plans for Rangers     beyond continuing steal millions of pounds from the Club and its supporters, for a good few years to come

No because we want to keep our national identities but if it has to happen then a team of amatuer or junior footballers should be the choice.

Top pro's play too much games as it is.

Is it a bad thing that I'm a Man Utd fan? lol  But that aside, I did notice the heated rivalry between Celtic and the Rangers when I was stationed in England.  I actually liked Celtic when I saw Henrik Larrson playing for them ... loved how he played

But for upyerkilt ... "The Grid Iron" refers to the field (or pitch) ... actually not really sure why it's called that to be honest ... but in regards to using feet, the only time they use the "foot" is during kickoffs, punts, or field goals (like rugby kicking it through the uprights) ... and usually the kicker is the biggest wuss on the field since he never gets involved in tackling, etc unless he's the last resort and will usually embarras himself by getting run over or knocked silly ... sadly these guys are usually former "soccer" players or footballers

But on a side note, how bout Ronaldo???  tongue

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Well I thought Ronaldo was getting passed it a bit but after last weeks game with Celtic and barca, I am changing my mind slightly, he is still very good. I tihnk people just expect too much out of him all the time, everytime.

the haterd between rangers and celtic is very sily indeed, so silly it caused me to stop going to celtic games years ago.
But now my son is getting that age where celtic footy team is more important than any other sport, I am finding myself taking him to the game on Wednesday to watch them play Inverness cally. After that I think I will be taking him to more and more, but never to a game where they are playing rangers. Then when he is old enough I can stop going again. All that money could buy a few guitars a year.

Ken

I agree ... so much is always expected of Ronaldo ... when SAF signed him I loved him from the get go ... he's matured ALOT the past two years ... what he does on the pitch is like poetry ... although sometimes he goes to the ground to easily when challenged ... but then again, Thierry Henry did the same!  But I think Fabergas from Arsenal does it way too much ... but flopping is another day, another story!

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

upyerkilt - as you say, here in NZ its always soccer for the round ball. Football here is rugby, which is the national religion after taking the piss out of Aussies. It was a national day of mourning when we got booted out of the World Cup, the only consolation was SO WERE THE AUSSIES.

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

lol
twang
I know only oo well you lovely people in NZ call it soccer. My brother moved there about 2 years ago and now he is calling it soccer too, he gave up trying to educate you all lol he was outnumbered, but still  iwill bore myself with correcting him all the time lol
he used to not have time for rugby but now he plays every week and also plays football too in a local team.

And as for you rugby team, I love watching them, even if it is thumping Scotland.

Ken