Topic: Sound down on computer....Help

Hi Guys and Dolls
This is kinda connected to Chordie, coz without sound I can't check out the tunes I wanna play on youtube. Or that's my excuse anyway. Lol
Yep can anyone give me some idea, sound has gone, working a few hrs ago, haven't done anything, but then the kids have been on. The light is on on the speaker, and the connections into the back are still connected, have checked out Control Panel, and volume is on High. Am I missing something. Bl***y computers.
Any help much appreciated.

aka ......   Boxer Petal....<3

Re: Sound down on computer....Help

Hi Boxer,

Lets try an obvious one. Look on your task bar and you will see an icon of a speaker, double click on it to open it and make sure that the mute boxes are not ticked. If they are clear them and it should be OK.

Fingers crossed,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thanx Roger, but don't have that icon....mmmmm

Hi boxer
Just a thought. Go to the control panel click sounds and audio devices and see if the mute is checked if it is then uncheck it.
if it's ok try clicking the advance tab and make sure the volume controls of the Wave, SW Synth and CD audio are all set to maxium and there mutes are all unchecked.

Ark

Thanx Ark, yep no mute boxes crossed, and all set to high volume. Oh dear.
Wondering whether I might have a virus now, comp has been running really badly today, will run virus scan and see what that brings up. Cheers.

Hi Les. don't really know much about Windows. (I use Unix/Linux computers), but it sounds like a hardware problem.

Do you know if you have a sound card i.e. separate from the motherboard, not built in.
Sometimes they can work loose and if so you need to open the cover and make sure that the card is located firmly into the motherboard. ( I know that you've just moved house, it could have got jolted in the move)

Worst case scenario, you have a burnt out sound card, it happened to me a couple of years ago, I had a soundblaster card that just gave up, had to replace it.

Of course it could be a software/driver problem, and although I'm not a Windows user, I am a programmer, so might be able to help with more details. What version of Windows are you using and do you know which sound card you have?

regards

David

go the control panel and check that you have the right device for sound playback

- is it a speaker - can you listen to a cd ? does the headphone socket work ?

xp?

Wow only back on line now after computer crashing seriously last night.
Think there is something major going on here, and the only answer is to take it to someone who knows, could be the sound card Dave, might well have jolted, but wouldn't know one if I saw one, lol. Oh running XP by the way.
Tell you something tho, it seems to run particularly badly when I have MSN running, which I mostly do, and a couple of friends who have tried to e mail my hotmail addy lately have had the e mails returned.
I think this is a job for the professionals. Da da da da daaaaaaaa!!!!

Really appreciate all your help, thought it might have been something really simple, that is infact really complicated when you don't have a clue, if you know what I mean.
Cheers x