Topic: a crime or not, a violation or not

I have a Boss BR 600, with 8 tracks and a lot of virtual tracks with the intention to make songs.
I would love them to see on www.myspace.com
There is again a "BUT": Am I violating the law if I put a song, a COVER on myspace.
I love 1 song really a lot: NEVER MY LOVE, by the ASSOCIATION. If I make a soft acoustic ballad, will this cause problems??? I heard the song for the first time in my life in 1988, on a plane to South Africa, and that's why I think as follow: they seemed to be big in the USA, not in Europe.
I know that they had 1 (major) hit in the Netherlands, "along comes Mary", and like all critics do, they try to find the meaning of a song, here "marihuana"
So the fact is, as I suspected, NO HITS, no "windy", no "cherish" even no "never my love".
DO I, and probably a lot of us, HAVE TO REPORT THIS or not.
This is a topîc for every chordian who wants to put a song on myspace. I do know that it is a great site, like youtube, to SHOW AND SHARE YOUR OWN SONGS, but what if you want a cover?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: a crime or not, a violation or not

Don'y know about Myspace, but you see covers all the time on Youtube/Google, Yahoo and places of that kind.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I suggest you don't cover anything by 'Prince' smile

cheers

David

As long as your are not attempting to profit monitarily from another persons work, without their expressed permission, you won't encounter any legal problems.

Give everything but up.

LOL nice one Dave, needed a laugh x

aka ......   Boxer Petal....<3

Yes boxer, I am glad you can laugh. But as told, you do see a lot of covers on both sites.
And finally, where is the line between legal and illegal, if I cover an existing song, or better some one else, and I did see many times that the cover is very popular, and if I am not wrong, can people download it.
I am convinced that copyrights are different in different countries. I think here, they last for 70 years, and what happens, the Netherlands are now using songs from the 30ies (about that I am not 100% sure, I read it somewhere). And even worse, when can you speak about violation of copyrights? I believe here, you can "sample" a piece if the time is less than 15 seconds.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Sorry Doc that wasn't a stab at you personally, I was referring to the comment of acmecorp about the fact that if you cover one of Prince's songs you would probably get sued.

aka ......   Boxer Petal....<3

gitaardocphil wrote:

I am convinced that copyrights are different in different countries. I think here, they last for 70 years, and what happens, the Netherlands are now using songs from the 30ies (about that I am not 100% sure, I read it somewhere).

In the UK it is life of the artist plus 30 years.

gitaardocphil wrote:

And finally, where is the line between legal and illegal, if I cover an existing song, or better some one else, and I did see many times that the cover is very popular, and if I am not wrong, can people download it.

I'm not 100% certain but from what i understand if you don't profit from it (i.e. it's free) you should be alright releasing it.

Have you seen any other websites that mention this?