Topic: FOOD ON A GUITARSITE

When playing guitar, let's say as professional, like some groups U2, REM, Foo Fighters, playing in a lot of countries. Even if it sounds stupid, I am interested in NATIONAL food. I was inspired by these groups, because of a wonderful contact with some members, having a lot of fun, backstage with Dave Grohl, and the other Foo Fighters. We talked about food in all different countries, but only now I was very interested in "national dishes"
This is for Upyerkilt, and fellow Scott's: what about HAGGIS, is it as popular as they say?
In BELGIUM: a big national dish is Mussels with French fries (in fact, these fries originated here and not in France) also STEAK with French Fries, and a kind of STEW too, with Brussels sprouts.
What is a national dish in the USA?, it depends maybe from State to State, you can't compare New Orleans-Louisiana with Ohio.
I was 4 years ago, in CHICAGO: Charlie Trotters, and Louisiana, very close to French Food. For me going to a restaurant, it is a must that I eat food, that people can't prepare at home.
What about PIZZA? Watching a movie here, everybody seems to eat "pizza" in the USA.
I am really fascinated to know more about "the national food, or dishes"
It would be nice to hear about what you all have to tell.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: FOOD ON A GUITARSITE

i dont think the usa has a national food it all depends on the location and the ethnic composistion of the state in the south the varities vary from each state in the east a lot of recipies are handed down from generation to generation from the europians who migrated because of political pesecution or religious pressure and famine in ireland to the chineese who left to come to america for jobs and a new way of life the slaves from africa were forced to come and eventually freed contributed a great number of recipies this country is not one race of people the make up is like a stew and each ethnic group has their own kind of food they prefer well before i take up to much time i jus want to say we have a lot to be thankful for in the usa but i cant think of any national food only the need for it acapo

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Ther's an old saying here in the states that says this;
"It's as american as hot dogs and apple pie." So based on this saying one may be able to associate these foods to our culture.

Give everything but up.

Hi Docs,
I agree with Acapo Here. We have such a huge influx of foreigners here our traditional
food is out the door. Also people travel much more now and there palate is more open
to different foods and flavours.
Bacon/ Ham Cabbage and spuds. Irish Stews, Dublin Coddle. Best Sausages in the world.
made by Superquinn. white pudding. Black Pudding { american friends of mine call this
blood pudding} Smoked salmon, brown bread, creamery butter. Home made Blackberry
and Apple jam. Fresh Trout. Fresh Salmon poached ! Delish.
Irish Beef { No mad cow here!
except for my self of course lol } Guinness, fine whiskeys, and the best cure for
a hangover Is not irish? But Scottish! A soft drink  called "Irn Bru". great stuff.
At this time of year Docs we eat Colcannon. Its Kale spuds butter sometimes fine chopped
raw onion is added. served with fish or meat.

Did you ever eat colcannon           
when 'twas made with yellow cream   
And the kale and praties blended     
Like the picture in a dream?         
  Did you ever take a forkful           
  And dip it in the lake               
  Of heather-flavoured butter           
  That your mother used to make?       
  Oh, you did, yes you did!             
  So did he and so did I,               
  And the more I think about it         
  Sure, the more I want to cry.
  God be with the happy time
When trouble we had not,
And our mothers made colcanno
In the little three-legged pot.

Now Docs after all that i cook food in my home from all around the world. love cooking.

Boston Chowder. Peach Cobbler, mud pie, now i have the munchies..
I also have a song i wrote about food in my childhood. Hmmmmmmm needs music!

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

5 (edited by last_rebel 2007-11-17 23:14:01)

Acapo's right, you really can't pin down a national food, but you can find some great staples from state to state.  Here in Texas its barbeque and chile, and a unique tex mex style food thats kind of sort of mexican but not really. Over the state line, (not an hour from me) its Gumbo and etufee', crawdads (boiled and eaten by popping off the head, de turding the abdomen, and swallowing. Some people suck the heads, but yeck, not me). Traditionally, the south was known for food staples that were grown in abundance, such as greens, watermelons, purple hull peas, lots of fresh fruit in places like Florida and Georgia. Cornbread's a well known southern food that you'll find alot of, as is cornbread dressing, kindof like stuffing except made with corn bread not white bread, and chock full of rich southern flavor (yum smile).Up in the New England states, breakfast is a big deal, and they seemed pretty proud of thier famous maple syrup in Vermont. America's such a big country, with an amazing diversity of climates and cultures, that its hard to call something from one particular part of the nation a 'national' dish. The one thing I've found in my travels to be pretty much everywhere is hot dogs, even though a chile dog in a Texas Dairy Queen is a lot different than a chili dog in a New England diner (which I learned the hard way tongue)
  Now as for the pizza, pizza in america is NOT the pizza you would find in a traditional italian restaurant. Its the typical american fast food piece: lots of cheese and grease, probly not very good for you, but dang it tastes good. Probly one reason for its popularity is that you can feed a lot of people with pizzas for less money than ordering each person a seperate dish somewhere.

All You Need is Love smile

First let me thank you.
About the different "ancestors" and immigration, well this was one of the "tracks" I followed, and mentioned. The only common factor are the FAST FOOD restaurants. I wrote about Chicago, New Orleans and that's a food paradise there in New Orleans.
I drove that year from Chicago, over Memphis and Nashville to New Orleans.
Most of villages (even with 1000 people) you will always find something, like Kentucky Fried Chicken
Burgerking, McDonald's, some "RED LOBSTERS", there you feel a connection with us Europeans.
There were only 2 countries famous for their food: Belgium, France.
What's going on now: the UK, the NETHERLANDS are having great restaurants. And yes, I was convinced of the fact. There are about 50.000.000 people, with German ancestors, even Paris Hilton, Sandra Bullock. It is amazing what you can find preparing a topic or answer to other
topics. Also a similar amount have French ancestors. And only those population with, UK, Ireland Scotland are huge, add the people with Spanish Background, and you have what you answered.
I love the TEXAS mentality, it is in some aspects, like South Africa: BBQ spicy, and I have been so many times there, that I almost forgot what they eat, it will be different from area to area.
I really don't know if the Native Americans have an input. Our ancestors, a very long time ago, hunted for food, they were gone for a long time. Did you ever stood still by that fact: HOW DID THEY MADE IT BACK TO THEIR HOME? It is a fact that most women have  bad orientation, where a man has not that problem. My medical background helps me a lot on chordie, I know it sounds crazy, but it's true. Back to that trip: best experience (excluding TROTTER, and NEW ORLEANS) was the "All You Can Eat" chain. I still can't believe what I saw: a 10 year old kid, eating 3 (TREE) large Pizza's, and he went about 10 times to the soft ice machine, and a few years later they start a lawsuit, for eating to many fat, and hamburgers. It is NOT logic for an European.
Please go on with the food, there are quit a lot NON - USA members.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Good MorningDocs.

Soft Day to ya, After all the storms of yesterday. I could write about food
till the cows came home.
I have eaten everything from Gazpacho - Cold spanish vegetable soup"
The word gazpacho just means fragments or very small pieces of veg, Olive
oil and Garlic. Beautiful on a hot Spanish Andalusian day.
Billtong! South Africa. Dried strips of meat, i think has dutch connections?

Escargot. Because at one time the people i  dined with said" you must try them! well i did. I would rather watch these beautiful creatures eating my
plants. Somehow much more pleasant.

Best sandwiche by far, NewYork Rhuben, Id leave home for them.
Best Pancake Ihops. Holy God i ran amok in that place.
Best Pasta dish, in a beautiful family owned italian resturant, on one the Islands of Forteventura. Teneriffe
Best Calamares, squid} Argentina.

A deep fried Huge Onion! That was served like a big flower on a plate.
i think this was called a Texan? beautiful.
I dont really like fast food burger, but have eaten them. i prefer home made
my own or resturant.

Docs, I dont know how woman stay a size 8, sure i was born that size.
i have managed to stay all my life size 14 to 16.. getting harder as i get
older.
The worst sight i ever seen with food was in a burger place. in Mashpee
or Falmouth, Usa. These 2 great big woman. eating huge burgers and fries
with some kind of LIQUID YELLOW CHEESE.! Then half  a gallon each of icecream. I have a very healthy appetite, but God i nearly got sick looking at this.
I dont care if your fat or skinny. if your a good person thats all i look for.
but how do there bodies break this sh#t down?

You need Docs to be giving me your famous foods to eat so i can keep
looking like im 19 lol I wish. {Magic wand comes to mind.:lol:

Have a good Day.
Old Doll/

I'm sitting here with an almighty hangover and you want to talk food?  It's sunday today so roast chicken with roast potatoes and carrots and cabbage with a nice thick gravy - in fact i can smell it wafting gently up the stairs now!

I went to a place called Gaucho's in Gran Canaria a couple of years back and they served a steak so big you couldn't see the plate and the vegetables were actually on the meat!  Very impressive and I took a picture for posterity.

Good day to you all

I'm the son of rage and love

Ah will ya get outa that Bonedaddy,

A good big greasy fryup you need. Put muscles on your urine. that would
and nodules on your already damaged liver. Ya wuss.

Had a blast last night. Needed it badly!
so good Im now going out for the day, to enjoy some more.

Dont forget to mop up all that fat with buttered bread.. God im making myself sick here lol

have a good day!

Old Doll.

Thanks Old Doll, I've been ill all morning and now feel the urge again with your fry ups and grease... Bluuuuurp!

x

I'm the son of rage and love

You mentioned Haggis, Doc. I guess there's no getting away from it - like it or not it IS Scotland's national dish. A mixture of oats and blended spices with (traditionally) the heart, liver and lungs of a sheep, all tied up in said sheep's stomach lining. Sounds revolting but I can assure you is delicious. Most haggis nowadays is wrapped in plastic instead of the stomach. Served with mashed tatties (potatoes) and neeps (turnip), with maybe a little whisky sauce. Nice. Trust me.

I'm also glad to see the virtues of Irn Bru have made it across the Irish Sea. Too bad it hasn't made it across the Atlantic, Bonedaddy. I suspect there will be a few bottles in use this morning in Scotland. Virtually a whole nation with a hangover today after a small game of footy at Hampden Park, Glasgow.

Cheers guys.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??