Re: Ukulele players out there?

Started with a pretty crappy Johnson -- it was $30, and definitely played like it. I upgraded after awhile to a Flea, which is a very nice uke for learning on... nice tone, decent tuners. The intonation higher up the neck is pretty wretched, but overall it's a very nice value. I mostly play a Bushman Koa soprano now, which is a very well-made instrument, but around $400 (gift from my awesome girlfriend!), as well as an old Harmony baritone uke from the late 50's that I picked up on eBay for around $75. I do agree with the suggestion to restring any uke with good strings (I always use Aquilas, but I haven't experimented much -- I'm sure there are other excellent brands). The strings that come with a uke are very often terrible and plinky sounding (even more than the uke normally is!).

I bought my first uke about three years ago....a Martin Soprano that I used as I learned the chords and some picking.  Am currently working in Honolulu (since late February) and bought a really nice Kamaka Six-string Tenor in mid-March.  The Kamaka's sound and quality makes the Martin seem like it was made from a cigar box.  The Kamaka was over $700 new, but it is a lifetime instrument for me and my kids.

The Kamakas are a little harder to get sometimes, but a great instrument.

just got mine in the mail today,!
I bought one because up at school, like 4-5 of my fraternity brothers have them.  My roommate last term had a tenor and for a while, I played it more than he did!

I just got a Mele Student Tenor for like $150, the same model as my roommate's, and it sounds great for the price.

Now all I have to do is really learn how to jam it out...
and pick up a chromatic tuner, because they really do sound crappy when it goes out of tune...

If i like this, i might upgrade to a 6 string in a few years

Hey - Hello,
I started playing a year ago - and I'm hooked, they are just plain fun to  play.
I started with a Lanakai tenor, then bought a soprano Bushman (both sound good) and then find of the century - I went to a second-hand store and found an old (no sticker on the headstock so it is 1930 or older) CF Martin style 2 ukulele! It had a few cracks which spruce tree music (in Madison) fixed up just fine. Got my Bushman there to - great place.
I find myself playing the soprano's instead of the tenor. Was so much fun my brother(who is much more musically inclined then I) started playing too.
If you are just starting I strongly recommend forking up a few extra dollars and buying a decent one. Lanakai and Bushman are both good IMHO.
One thing of note if you are new to the uke, they do go out of tune fast but - in my experience after playing for a while they hold their tuning longer - I don't know if the strings stretch out or something. Also, if there is a little screw in the tunner peg make sure it is snug.
Here are a couple of sites that I really like:
http://ukulele-lessons.com/   
Dorthy Muncy - very nice always answered my e-mail questions and each song includes an mp3 of her playing, I love this style of playing.

Also, http://www.doctoruke.com/  lots of great songs and some have music clips.
People are always suprised to hear me play (not that I'm a virtuoso!)- they say "I thought ukulele's were just toys" Anyone in doubt of that should watch Jake on UTube playing "while my guitar gently weeps"
Oh, one more thing...this site is absolutely fabulous!

I picked up a Lanikai soprano uke last fall and just love it!  Faster to tune than my autoharp or hammered dulcimer, easier on the budget than a mandolin, and best of all, small enough so that even someone with short fingers can enjoy themselves (unlike with a guitar).  It's a blast with anything from 'O Brother Where Art Thou'.

Benny Martin played Ukulele on an old album with John Hartford.  Album title was "Slumberin' on the Cumberland".  It was a nice collection of songs and I wish I still had it. 
Martin made a believer out of me, showing that a uke is a very flexible instrument.  I think he was a fiddle player, but he got some great sounds out of the uke.

Hi everyone:
I am new to the ukulele world…actually to any instrument, and I think that if my orchestra teacher from 6th grade a 100 years ago knew I took up an instrument he may fall over dead.
I am posting to this site to ask a question:
I am in the Baltimore, MD area. Does anyone out there know of a good teacher in the area for the uke? I have been playing for about 2 months. I know about 15 chords or so (I practice almost every night for an hour or so) but I feel that if I am going to get even mildly proficient I need professional help.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
-Alex

Hey! I too am a ukulele player and I only heard about this site about a month ago! There are several sites for songs out there but this one ROCKS! I have been playing the uke since June but I now play in public - I agree,it is just sooo much fun! I've never played a stringed instrument (other than the piano so nothing you hold) and the uke is perfect...only 4 strings and rather easy chords. I own a few ukes at this point - I have a Greg Bennett Samick concert uke, a Lanakai soprano and my first one - a Hilo soprano and also a Oscar Schmidt electric concert uke - now that one is awesome! Hope to hear from more uke players!

Aloha,

Topher

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
"Until we meet again, be good".

First post

Yes just taken one up and it is great. Fab help from the song list on this site

bikeboar

Aloha all!

New to Chordie and to the ukulele. I've had various [brief] infatuations with the guitar since I was a kid and never stuck with it but now in my 40's, I got on a Hawaiian kick late last year and fell in love with outrigger canoeing as well as the ukulele. 4 strings instead of 6 (easier for my simple mind I guess), small and easy to cart around, and da sound iz da kine! I never applied myself to learn music. I'm more of a by-ear and chord chart player. I should, and probably will, learn to read music one of these days.

I have two [affordable] sopranos at the moment and am contemplating getting a concert soon. I'd love to get a KoAloha or Keilii someday but for now I got what I bought.

I'm diggin' more Hawaiian music than anything else right now. Trad and some contempo stuff. Just feels right. I've been surfing the web for ukulele stuff and came upon a great find last month. Don't know why I didn't stumble on it sooner. http://www.iamhawaii.com/  Go to IAH TV and there you'll find some great how-to ukulele vids by two uk greats, Aldrine Guerrero and Jake Shimabukuro. Ono stuff. Ya gotta sign up to see it though smile

Pau.

Hi. I'm from Philippines. As a kid I had a ukelele for a toy. Learned to play a few songs but when it got out of tune - gone was the uke. In high school I started playing the guitar. Never stopped for the mext 40 or so years. Recently I began toying with a ukelele, a fine instrument built and made here in the Philippines. It is a baritone uke and the fingering is similar (almost same as Guitar). I enjoy the uke on quiet nights when I sing and play for myself or for small groups and when no amplification is needed. Hope you people enjoy playing the uke as much as I do.

hi unicorn and welcome to chordie.

So a baratone uke is similar to the guitar for chords? I dont know what kind my mine is GCEA. And when you play the chord G it is like the chord D on the guitar, this mixed me up a while until i got used to it. Now I love playing my uke regularly.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hi. Ken,
Baritone Uke is tuned as DGBE but the D of the 4th string is 1 octave higher. GCEA is soprano Uke. like Capo 5 of a baritone uke. In Baritone uke D is the same fingering of d in guitar.

By the way, my baritone uke has 14 frets to the body of the uke. A soprano uke has 12 frets to the body.

I have a Lanikai LU-21 baritone and a Bushman Jenny bartitone. Love both of them. Bushman a little better quality, but sound  on both good. My son plays guitar, and playing baritone along with him is easy and fun. Anyone know some good strum patterns, or where on internet to find them? Thanks.

Hi

My boyfriend gave me to my birthday my first ukulele this year in november. It's a Lanikai FU-11.

My musical background is almost zero. I played the guitar when I was a kid, but I don't remember anything. So I'm learning the chords slowly, having problems with the right hand and the rhythm, but it's so enjoyable ^___^ I had problems to tune the uke, but I found in internet a tuner for the computer and works pretty well ^___^

Now I have to keep practicing tongue

Happy New Year Everyone!  Does anybody out there have a Kala 8 string tenor uke? I love to hear how you like it. I have a jenny baritone and love it. I also have an oscar schmidt concert (which doesn't impress me much),and a cheap pineapple soprano that I replaced the cheap peg tuners with some Gotoh geared tuners and now I'm in love with it. But, the one uke I love to play more than any of the others is my homemade baritone cigar box uke. Believe me, it's no work of art, rather crude really. However, there is a certain satisfaction in playing an instrument that you made yourself. Anyone else try their hand at uke making?

68 (edited by gerry long 2008-01-22 20:43:14)

My name is Gerry Long.

I am a retired professional musician and music professor (woodwinds), who got hooked on the uke in my retirement about 7 years ago.
  I belong to a large group here in Corona del Mar, Ca -- about 75 to 90  strummers who meet each week.  Our most celebrated member is Bill  Tapia, who became 100 years old on Jan. 1.   I also teach uke classes here in Corona del Mar, and in Huntington Beach, and Laguna  Woods, Ca.
  Because of my background in music theory, jazz, arranging, teaching,  etc., I have started a series of helpful articles for uke players  entitled "UKE-TIPS", which I send to an email list of about 500 names.
  The 'TIPS are free of charge, and are based on what I have learned about chords, chord progressions, and other practicing, performing and arranging principles over the years.   Applying these principles to the uke have enabled me to make some rapid progress on the instrument.  For example, one of my UKE-TIPS articles is entitled:  "Learning 24 new chords in 5 minutes".
  If anyone would like to get on my mail list they need only submit there email address to me at gerrylong@cox.net.   There is, of course, and "opt out" option on each issue of the 'TIPS, should one decide not to receive them. They will be coming out about every three weeks.
  I have also self-published a beginning chord-solo book for which I have a web-site www.ukesolos.com.  Have a look at it.  James Hill recorded all the solos in my book, and you can hear him play five of them on the web site.
   The ukulele movement is a marvelous development world wide, and we are all fortunate to participate in it at a time when there are such great artists as Jake Shimabukuro, James Hill, Lyle Ritz, and many others.  Enjoy.
   Gerry Long
   Newport Beach, Ca.

Hi there ,
   I guess we're both new here . I'm an old guitar , fiddle player , / songwriter . Always thought it would be fun to try out the baritone uke . Might have to look in to that .
   By the way , is Gerry Long your real name ? Mine is Jerry Short , I registered under my business name because nobody seems to use their real names on these forums .
   Off point , I know , but it's
funny . Back in the early sixties when I was in grade school I went with a girl by the name of Merry Long . Alas , it did'nt work out ( the other kids tortured us too much about the names ).
   Oh what might have been...

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

My goal from my first trip to Hawaii was to return with a ukulele.  I found one that looked good, it had a turtle-shaped sound hole.  I figured that if I failed at playing it, it would look good hanging on the wall.

It sounded the best of about 10 or so ukes I played.  Probably paid to much for it, but who cares...I've had that much fun playing it the past two years!

I'm a classically trained french horn player...but those are hard to cart around and they can be kind of loud.  It's also tough to sing while playing.

I just started showing up at a ukulele group near my house.  Strumming and singing.  It was the most fun I've had in a long time! 

Love that uke!

I don't mean to sound like a shill, but I took one of Gerry Long's presentations at a uke gathering in San Diego two years ago. 

He has some interesting techniques.  I learned a heck of a lot in a half hour or so.

i have been playing guaitar for while,and i got a ukulele for xmas,but i really didn't start to play with it until sunday,and i can't seem to put it down.it is a fun little instrument to play.i found some great web sites,and this is a great one.www.sheep-entertainment.nl/ukulele  --------                    also check out some of the people on youtube . keep on strumming,and picking.

here's to us and those like us,damn few of us left.

I play the bass, and on christmas my brother got a soprano and i started to fuss with it. I am now way better than he is. So I desided to get my own. Now i have a black accostic electric tenor and it sounds realy awsome. I have learned 99 Red Ballons and am currently working on wonderwall and enter sandman.

Anyways it is just an awsome instrument and you will never put it down.

The Uke saved my life...

hi chordie is grate there is anthoer site called "Boogaloo Songbook" i only started playing 1 year ago and love it and i drives my wife mad