Re: Ukulele players out there?

veryscarrie - keep playing, the uke is a great instrument. I've played guitars for years but I've learnt so much since I strated on the uke from old 20's standardfs through 50's stuff, Beatles and even Hendrix - I played Purple Haze at an open mike night recently and it went down really well.
Top tips - get the best uke that you can afford, buy decent strings and a tuner.

Hi all, I started playing the uke about 12 months ago after seeing Joe Brown playing on the George Harrison Tribute concert, singing "I'll See You In My Dreams"
I bought myself a Mahalo Tenor as the slightly larger size makes it easier with my fingers. I have added to my collection since, buying 2 differnet Kala's both Tenors, they cost between £80 and £150, but both sound brilliant. I also bought an 80 year old Avalon Banjo Ukulele (the type George Formby plays), but still love playing my Kala's.
If anyone wants the chords for I'll See You In My Dreams, send me an e mail and I will gladly send you them, complete with all the words.
This is the link to Joe Brown on Youtube,                                                          http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mu8D69ux … re=related
I also play guitar and keyboard, but have to admit not as much as I used to since I started playing the uke

I've been wanting a Uke for a while now. Fender just released a new line going on sale for the first time today. I ordered one of the below from Elderly last night. Couldn't resist the Tele head stock. I'll post a review after I receive it - should have it in a week or so.

http://www.fender.com/products/prod_images/acoustics/0955640021_md.png

http://www.fender.com/ukes/

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I love My Ukulele`s.
Unfortunatly a lot of musicians and Music stores see them as toys so support is hard to come by.
Up here anyway

Hi
Just reading about all the uke players out there.  Check out ukulelemike on youtube and ukulele underground.  They have helped me a lot in the 6 months I have been playing. I started with a cheap Mahalo that I got at the Whitby folk week, and as I am in the UK and you can't get good Hawaiian ukes I ended up with a Martin S-O.  Once I had stuck some Aquila Nylegut strings on - a huge recommendation for anyone, I haven't looked back. The Martin sounds sweet and apart from having no fret markers its great.  It has brought in some really good feedback at the pub music group I go to here in Sheffield. My fave songs on my uke are:
Here There Everywhere - The Beatles
If - Bread
White Sandy Beach - Brudda Iz
Goodbye Earl - The Dixie Chicks
Fishermans Blues - The Waterboys.

Happy Uke-ing guys

Jayne

Hello everyone.  I wanted to start leaning the ukulele but thought I'd buy a cheap one in case I didn't stick at it.  Got a Mahalo for £20 (about $30?) and really happy with it.  Saying that I've never played a Uke before so have nothing to compare it to,  but still I think it sounds good.
  I bought a vibration tuner but have hardly used it, instead I found Pineapple Pete's site at ukeschool.com and it has basic lessons and a tuning tool where you can just click on the note and tune your uke from there.  (not much good if you are on the road admittedly!) 

Regards to everyone x

Name this tune - DUH DUH! dururururururu DUH DUH!

I used to play the uke (had a cheap Mahalo soprano), but i stopped playing 'cause i couldn't sing along with it. Is it easier to sing along with a Baritone?

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

Any easy way to tune a ukulele (C TUNING)

THANKS FOR TIP UKESCHOOL.COM WAS THE GO

steelstrings--Impulsively bought a baritone only because I had a baritone long ago--my first instrument in high school.  Played acoustic guitar for years and when I got the uke (Poma), my singing immediately improved.  I don't really know why perhaps less sustain and maybe I can hear my singing better.  Something about the 'plunky' tone and dynamics.

I can play while my wife drives on trips.  Fun    Jack Whale

I've played a little over 3 years, but am a long-time pianist, so sightreading music is easy and it made it easier for me to pick up the uke.  I LOVE the uke.   I bought a cheap one, sounded terrible, but good enough to learn on.   I now have a Kala  uke which cost about $250, and I had a pickup with buit-in tuner installed on it.  It's a super tenor uke for the price.   And when I use my amp it sounds very 'guitarish'.   I also have ordered a MyaMoe ukulele to be custom built for me.   I'm behind 49 others waiting for their customs ukes.  I hope to have mine by Thanksgiving or so.    I went to two Ukulele Festivals in Sparks, Nevada, one each in March 2010 and 2011.   Great fun.   Brook Adams will be doing a workshop for our group in mid-September if anybody is in Las Vegas.   I'm currently taking uke lessons from a guitar magician.  He just puts his capo on the guitar's 4th fret [or is it the 5th?] & we play right along together.    Getting late, time to sign off.

Carol

so how do you change the key signatures on your tunes?  I was told that was the huge advanage of your site.

Hi Carol,
I am not a uke player but maybe I can answer.
Once you have chosen a song on "chordie" look to the right of the page and you will see a place to choose the instrument you want chords for. Once you have chosen Uke in the tuning you use you will see a place where you can transpose the chords to a different key. It is valuable tool here on "chordie". If I understood your question this should help. If not you probably think I'm nuts. Good day to you.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Hi Carol and welcome to Chordie,

Further to Deadstrings reply, if you are a regular uke player then go into the Resourses. At the bottom of the page you will see 'Change settings (instrument/tuning)' and in there you can permanently change your instrument settings so every song will show your uke chords.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I can totally relate! Picked up the ukulele during a trip to the islands 10 months ago after years of playing guitar. Sold my guitar and it's been a blast exploring new possibilities. This site is a gem for ukulele enthusiasts like us, especially since finding ukulele books can be challenging in the 'real world.' Anyone else from the ukulele community here?