Topic: Best DRUMMER?

Again a list, but I wanted to know WHAT DIFFERENT OPINION THERE CAN BE, between young and old.
- CHARLIE WATTS (jazz, blues, rock)
- KEITH MOON (+ The WHO)
- JOHN "BONZO" BONHAM (+ LED ZEPPELIN)
- BILL BRUFORD(Yes)
- GINGER BAKER (Cream & blind faith)
There are fantastic and probably better drummers, especially in JAZZ. I don't remember their names.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: Best DRUMMER?

There are only two.

1.  Buddy Rich.
2.  Neal Peart (of Rush fame)

Peart, besides being the greatest living drummer today, also wrote a book about the loss of his daughter and wife, and the 55,000 mile motorcycle trip he took in order to escape from it.  As a parent and an avid motorcyclist, this elevates him to a whole new height of pedestal.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Only two I could say:

Tré Cool - Green Day
Jon Lee - Feeder

I'll go for Moon the loon. He tips the scales over Ginger Baker purely because Keith is the only LEAD drummer there has ever been! wink

I think Dave Grohl is worth a mention as well.

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

My favourite drummers are:

Keith Moon.
John Bonham ( who could also be classed as a lead drummer)
Neil Pert  ( not just a drummer but a truelly amazing percussionist)
Mark Breshiekie ( or however you spell his name, from Big Country. an amazing all round drummer)

and one more
a quite unknown drummer to most but Steve Grantley that plays with stiff little fingers and The Alarm , ( yes two bands at the same time) he is superb.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Bonham then Moon.

And good call moddish, Grohl does deserve a mention

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

moddish wrote:

I think Dave Grohl is worth a mention as well.

D'oh! How could I forget Dave Grohl? I've been listening to Nirvana since I was 1!

dont forget gene krupa {tommy dorsey band} but i think buddy rich is the best acapo

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Stanton Moore is my favourite! 

Soooooooooooooooooo Good.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

I forgot indeed the drummer from RUSH
Most of the drummers I see here, are J.Bonham, Keith fly me to the Moon, I don't think you would have good feelings, seeing and watching him.
That is one of the reasons, why I think Charlie Watts is one of the best, Jazz + Stones. I have 5 numbers of the Charlie Watts quintet

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

At the risk of losing whatever street cred this 34yr old still has, I'll tell tell ye another that merits a mention. smile

Phil Collins. Not that keen on his music, but the guy is a pretty good drummer.

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

I was going to mention him too
But I thought, naaa, he is ok but not a world class drummer, he is a very tallented musician though

Ken

That gorilla in the TV ad. Best gorilla drummer i ever saw! lol

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Phil Collins!  A bit tacky in the eighties but check out his work with brand x.  Jazz Funk fusion, different rhythm with each limb, never misses a beat A#1.

Charlie Watts!  Smallest drum kit in the world but the range of rhythms he busts out is fantastic!

Neil Peart!  Biggest drum kit in the world.... and he uses them all! probably has a stool on a conveyor or something!

The Dude from Arctic Monkeys!  Check out I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor.

And Keith, John, Karl Palmer, Cozy Powell etc

I'm the son of rage and love

Don Henley of the Eagles, Jerome mentioned Neil Peart and Buddy Rich, two of the best.

...Badeye.

one caper after another

http://www.sileessenota.com/newsi/muppet_animal.jpg

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

bonedaddy,

here ya go in case you don't know how to play it already. This guy might be the best guitar teacher ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGVJwVurgi0

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

I still think phil collins has got just that little something extra in the drumming department and I think this video proves it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy52yueBX_s
Ark

Tommy Lee deserves some credit
Mitch Mitchell is one of the elite drummers in my opinion
The Rev, of Avenged Sevenfold
Josh Eppard, formerly of Coheed and Cambria

Hi all, check out Steve Gadd's discography, http://www.drstevegadd.com/discography.htm , got to be one of the best for versatility!

Siege of Troy wrote:

certainly does!!
the first drummer ( as far as I know) to play a drum kit while spinning upside down with his kit, going round and round and still drumming.
and apart from that, he is a great drummer.

one I dont think anyone has mantioned and I have no idea why I missed him out or why anyone esle has.
Nicko McBrain from iron maiden, his drumming techniques are sometimes so complexed yet keeping time and steady rythum all the time.
He must be in my top 3 or 5 drummers of all time. anyone who has seen him live would or should agree.
Genius!!!

Ken

upyerkilt wrote:
Siege of Troy wrote:

certainly does!!
the first drummer ( as far as I know) to play a drum kit while spinning upside down with his kit, going round and round and still drumming.

Ken

I was really blown away the first time I heard "Dr. Feelgood". Sure, it has a kickin guitar riff, but I love the "groove" feel that it has. I wish people would stop focusing so much on his personal life, and mistakes that he made, and just see him for the great musician he is.

upyerkilt wrote:
Siege of Troy wrote:

certainly does!!

one I dont think anyone has mantioned and I have no idea why I missed him out or why anyone esle has.
Nicko McBrain from iron maiden, his drumming techniques are sometimes so complexed yet keeping time and steady rythum all the time.
He must be in my top 3 or 5 drummers of all time. anyone who has seen him live would or should agree.
Genius!!!

Ken

Hi Ken, remember Clive Burr of Iron Maiden - He was pretty good too cool

I'm the son of rage and love

all of primus's drummers: Herb and brain. if you havent heard them then check them out

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

bonedaddy wrote:

Hi Ken, remember Clive Burr of Iron Maiden - He was pretty good too cool

yeah daddy, he was very good too but I think Nicko has the edge on him.
I Listened to a bit of maiden yesterday for the first time in a while ( apart from a few songs on rock radio) I would have to put Nicko in my top 5.

And as for primus' drummer/drummers, yep all their drumming sounds very good, especially trying to get a beat to play along with those crazy superb bass lines

Ken