Topic: pain and reward or just pure gifted

i went to see a movie last night called august rush,a great wee story and it really touched my heart and my girlfriend was bursting with emotion that she had to hold back lol.

But anyways the young man in this film was an absolute genius with any instrument he picked up,
i was just wondering if any you chordians have this ability, know anyone ,
or just like me a lot of pain in the fingers with little rewards that keep you going?

Don't Cry because it is over...

smile because it happened.    Gabriel García Marquez

Re: pain and reward or just pure gifted

yes me!but its only over shadowed by my humility

weedjie wrote:

i went to see a movie last night called august rush,a great wee story and it really touched my heart and my girlfriend was bursting with emotion that she had to hold back lol.

But anyways the young man in this film was an absolute genius with any instrument he picked up,
i was just wondering if any you chordians have this ability, know anyone ,
or just like me a lot of pain in the fingers with little rewards that keep you going?

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I tell you the first time i picked up a guitar i assumed the same thing would happen.. I strummed the strings.. and all I heard was a bunch of random notes sounding terrible.. took me a couple more years of owning the thing before i really picked it up and started trying to learn..

Sometimes it is natural talent or musical ability, along with having perfect pitch helps. Right now actually scientists are researching if musical ability is genetic in any way. But as for me, along with probably 99 percent of other guitar players, it's sweat, blood, and tears.

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

Yes!

I can Agree with Acapo Above. I have heard Acapos music and he is very Gifted... Yes! and Humble.

Bring it on!

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

old doll thankyou for the compliment but i must confess. i was only being sarcastic i dont know what came over me when i read the post the devil in me snickered and i think he typed the words acapo

My sister isn't quite like the fellow in that movie, but she can learn an instrument well enough to play it on stage in a week or so.  I can recall her playing piano in an Andrews Sisters tribute band, saxophone in a classical orchestra and lyre (the percussion kind) in a marching band.  She's played so many different instruments in so many different styles I can't even recall it all. 

Unfortunately, if genetic, the genes were used up before getting to me and I have to work for every advance.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Gifted...gifted...gifted.

Nah.....I do have a thumb growing out of the back of my neck, though.

I inherited some genetic ability when it comes to music, all of the members on my mom's side of the family (her included) have perfect pitch, and I was lucky enough to inherit it. They all have amazing musical ability, and can master most instruments in just a year or two. My littlest brother, on the other hand, has absolutely NO musical ability, but that comes just as much from him being plum lazy, as much as a lack of talent...

siege of troy i had a friend who had perfect pitch he was a great sax player and i remember once or twice i doubted his "perfect pitch" so i tested him. he would turn his back and tell me to play any note i wanted on the neck, and it didn't matter which note i chose to play he would tell me not only what the note was but if my guitar was tuned correctly and he was always right i gave up doubting him acapo

acapo wrote:

siege of troy i had a friend who had perfect pitch he was a great sax player and i remember once or twice i doubted his "perfect pitch" so i tested him. he would turn his back and tell me to play any note i wanted on the neck, and it didn't matter which note i chose to play he would tell me not only what the note was but if my guitar was tuned correctly and he was always right i gave up doubting him acapo

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!

Thats A-MAZING!!

=o
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I stumbled across this video on youtube and thought about this thread.

This little guy's name is Sung Ha Jung, and he's playing some Andy Mckee. He's 11 yrs old tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDzyWAao … ature=user

What do you Chordians think? Gifted or hard-working?

For me.... Pain And Reward.

...Badeye.

one caper after another

i guess it depends on what instrument. I usally can pick stuff up pretty quick unless it a brass or woodwind

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

to etc_04, about the studies. I also believe that there are genes responsible. BUT WHAT'S FOR SURE is the INTERACTION, your father loves a lot music, but not active, mother plays and reads notes, on piano, you will see that more kids are influenced. Even if genetics are present, don't underestimate your education, personal interests. It is not because father is Keith Richards, that you will succeed him, even playing better!!! MOZART (Amadeus) his father LEOPOLD was a quit successful musician, and his sun, well we all know the story: "WONDER KID", he too was, I can only compare young Mozart with Michael Jackson, that sweet little boy from the Jackson 5, he had no CHILDHOOD, and all the problems, from medical point of view, are for us ABNORMAL, but not for him, he talks like child, acts like a child... So did Amadeus. There is no MUSIC centre in the brain, because music is to complex, but there is an "artistic" area sensitive to rhythm, melody, and harmony.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

mrjay wrote:

This little guy's name is Sung Ha Jung, and he's playing some Andy Mckee. He's 11 yrs old tongue

When I first saw Andy McKee on Youtube I never touched my guitar for 3 days. Now you show me an 11 yr old kid playing like that.

Jeez!

Might pick it back up in a couple of weeks. Definitely no talent with me. Just pure bloody mindedness that I'll one day play a recognisable tune.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

alvee33 wrote:
mrjay wrote:

When I first saw Andy McKee on Youtube I never touched my guitar for 3 days. Now you show me an 11 yr old kid playing like that.

Jeez!

Might pick it back up in a couple of weeks. Definitely no talent with me. Just pure bloody mindedness that I'll one day play a recognisable tune.

LOL... sry Alvee. I get frustrated too when I see stuff like this so I know where you're coming from. Although, ultimately, I try to use these examples to constantly set new goals for myself, which allows me to improve even more than I usually would. If you're not a genius, the only way is hard work.

The good thing about that is that, like a lot of things, learning the guitar always seems to be more about the journey than the destination. The most pleasure that I get is by learning something new, struggling with it until my fingers ache, and by basking in ultimate satisfaction once I've got that new technique down.

So pick up your guitar, mate. I bet you anything that, at one point in his life, Andy Mckee himself probably said "Damn! Can't get this barre chord down!" big_smile

he was about two at the time.